• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Steve Ditko in Hiding???

121 posts in this topic

If Steve is an agorophobic type to begin with imagine his trepidation about attending a Con for the first time and being mobbed... :insane::o

I respect in this case someone's privacy...people are different, sure we embrace the ones who embrace us in public interaction but there's room for everyone in my opinion... 2c

I would think that he could at least show up to one show in our life time. Can anyone out there convince him?

What does he owe anyone? (shrug) Just because he created some legendary comic characters and drew some wildly original and inventive comic art doesn't mean he has to continue to give of himself.

Exactly. Ditko does not seem to be interested in the secular or capitalism.

Think that he did indeed attend 1 of the 1st SDCC circa 1970, but I imagine 1/2 of the forumites where not even born back then.

Exactly. Ditko does not seem to be interested in the secular or capitalism.

Think that he did indeed attend 1 of the 1st SDCC circa 1970, but I imagine 1/2 of the forumites where not even born back then.

I was around back then and I don't think he ever attended SDCC, at least not officially. Anyone else know for sure?

I would think that he could at least show up to one show in our life time. Can anyone out there convince him?

Ditko is 80....and I don't say this in a mean spirit,...but he may be in a geriatric setting.It probably overwhelms him when he thinks of all the people out there who "love" him without actually knowing much of anything about him....It sure would be cool to be in line for a very rare autograph session.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frioend of jesus) (thumbs u

I dont know if I agree with people saying he should stick to privacy and so forth. When people get involved in some kind of business that includes fame. Then they should expect to be bothered. Thats how it is in the comic world as is in the movie world and so forth. He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive! If it were not for people like us who buy Spidermans and go see the Spiderman movies his character would have stayed in his drawing book and be an unknown. That is a fact. To be stubborn to say no autographs no nothing.

And Rodan57 I heard of it but never saw the documantary, ill look into it. Thanks

I dont know if I agree with people saying he should stick to privacy and so forth. When people get involved in some kind of business that includes fame. Then they should expect to be bothered. Thats how it is in the comic world as is in the movie world and so forth. He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive! If it were not for people like us who buy Spidermans and go see the Spiderman movies his character would have stayed in his drawing book and be an unknown. That is a fact. To be stubborn to say no autographs no nothing.

And Rodan57 I heard of it but never saw the documantary, ill look into it. Thanks

Uh...Steve stopped drawing Spidey in July of 1966... :makepoint:

He got largely hosed by the whole Spidey deal as far as getting rich or anything...I don't think he gives a s h i t !

Uh...Steve stopped drawing Spidey in July of 1966... :makepoint:

He got largely hosed by the whole Spidey deal as far as getting rich or anything...I don't think he gives a s h i t !

Yannis, I agree with you to an extent, however, this does not adequately apply to Steve as he does not enjoy the same benefits of being a well known artist as most. When we see Ditko pages sell for 5-figures, he does not see A figure of that sale. He doesn't enjoy the rockstar life that Stan does, so I don't see how he owes anything to the business that showed him the short end of the stick.

True, he should get his cut. And he probably had more than enough opportunities to be Hollywood like Stan. I am sure if asked to be in the Spiderman films he would have been there.

I suspect that it is posts like these and the attitudes behind them that are the reason why Ditko is "in hiding."

I suspect that it is posts like these and the attitudes behind them that are the reason why Ditko is "in hiding."

Most accurate statement I've read on the internet today... :sumo:

There have been plenty of people who had approached him in a very respectful way to get him to come out and appear and do some signings but nothing has happened. I dont know what you mean by saying that my comment is the reason why hes staying in hiding.

There have been plenty of people who had approached him in a very respectful way to get him to come out and appear and do some signings but nothing has happened. I dont know what you mean by saying that my comment is the reason why hes staying in hiding.

Steve Ditko did attend a NY con in 1966 or so.

As far as Steve is concerned he produced some artwork and stories for a company who published that work and charged for it. You are free to purchase his work, but there was nothing in the contract that said he had to meet with, talk with or acknowledge fans nor is he breaking any laws or regulations that I'm aware of. That fans like you and me continue to enjoy his work, talk about it and continue to purchase derivative creations is fascinating to us and completely unimportant to him.

Ditko isn't "hiding." It's probably easier to find out his address than Stan Lee's. Also I don't think he owes comic fandom a damn thing. I don't want to start any fights, but it really bugs me to see someone tagged as some kind of psychiatric case for not going along with expectations that are really nothing to do with him. (I'm no fan of Alan Moore, but I've just seen him described as "reclusive" for not wanting anything to do with the Watchmen film.)

also... Ditko didn't get into a business that included fame... at least not in the 60's, right?

Maybe he's just a big Pearl Jam fan... or Bukowski...

I shut and lock the front door.

No way in or out.

I turned and walked the hallway, and pulled the curtains down.

I knelt and emptied the mouth of every plug around.

But nothing's sound.

Oh, oh. Nothing's sound.

I stayed where my last step left me.

Ignored all my rounds

Soon I was seeing visions and cracks along the walls.

Oh. They were upside down. Oh. Oh.

I swallow my words to keep from lying.

I swallow my face just to keep from biting. I, I...

I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. Diving.

I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.

Now I'm...

I'm in hiding.

It's been about three days now since I've been aground.

No longer overwhelmed.

And it seems so simple now.

It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind.

I swallowed my words to keep from lying.

I swallowed my face just to keep from biting. I, I...

I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. I was diving.

I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.

Now I'm...

I'm in hiding.

But you should also remember to respect his right to privacy. He likely had no idea that being an artist on a comic book would lead him to this kind of infamy. Why should he have the title of "role model" thrust upon him? He clearly wants to be left alone and isn't rocking anyone's boat in the process.