• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is getting in the way of your comic collection enjoyment?

87 posts in this topic

Most of the threads I start are usually "hit or miss", but oh well, here goes another.

The question is "What do you do now, that has replaced the time you spent enjoying your comic collection?"

I used to spend a lot more time re-reading old issues, organizing, re-organizing, and in general just looking at all the covers. I loved spreading out my ASM run and looking at all those great Romita covers.

But I find myself not doing that much anymore. About 4 years ago, I got serious about my health and now workout 2.5 hours every other night, give or take.

For those that have cut back, what do you do now?

I've cut back on other things just to enjoy comics more (shrug)

Things I don't or rarely do anymore are

a) watch TV

b) free lance translating

c) go out to bars

d) get drunk every weekend

Money is definitely the impediment for me. Hopefully less so after the next round of job interviews. (Probably a rant post I'll make soon if things don't improve highly on this front.)

I will say that other life activities are also a problem right now-- and they are also linked to need for a bit more moo-la. (Trips and a kid and a wife and 2 pets are expensive.)

Also-- anyone else find that buying OA is interfering with buying comics? I spent more the last convention on art than comics. I can't tell yet if this is an emerging trend with me as a collector or has more to do with the absolutely stunning Flash piece Francis Manapul did and Herb Trimpe doing sketches. (Both of which I'll post soon.)

Hmmm also my collecting focus is changing after missing my grail on ComicLink a month or so ago.

-Rob-

definitely money, but also space.

I have 2 girls living (rent free.....................) in my little apartment right now, and my once wonderful comic book room is full of that had to be moved to make room for all of their stuff. That also means that I'm afraid of leaving stacks of comics around like I used to be able to do for fear something will happen to them...

I'm sure I could word that so that it sounds more like, "being a master pimp," but sadly that is not the case at all.

Most of the threads I start are usually "hit or miss", but oh well, here goes another.

The question is "What do you do now, that has replaced the time you spent enjoying your comic collection?"

I used to spend a lot more time re-reading old issues, organizing, re-organizing, and in general just looking at all the covers. I loved spreading out my ASM run and looking at all those great Romita covers.

But I find myself not doing that much anymore. About 4 years ago, I got serious about my health and now workout 2.5 hours every other night, give or take.

For those that have cut back, what do you do now?

2.5 hours ???? 45 minute workout, im done.

Wedding has sapped into my buying, buut that ends saturday. I buy and sell comics non-stop so I dont have any problems with finding time for comics. And wednesday I pick up the new stack, and read them that night, sometimes the next day.

I have 2 girls living (rent free.....................) in my little apartment right now

Rent$ Free or Rent Free? :whistle:

Right. I would never hae someone living with me for free. One time I did that, my friend was housebeyotch. But hey to each their own. I dont work to support other people myself.

Right. I would never hae someone living with me for free.

Unless it's family, you're absolutely right, but it's something you almost have to go through before you finally understand.