• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4

427 posts in this topic

Is this book still one of the top books in the Silver Age ?

I remember it was pretty hot in the 90's, but now seems to have cooled off a bit.

what's the future of this book ? I was thinking about picking up a decent copy, but if I'm going to be wasting my money (long term), I can always find more GA to buy instead. :cloud9:

just wondering.

Yes it's still one of the top SA books. It will always be the start of the SA and thus a mega key, so I don't think it's a risky buy. But will it skyrocket? Who knows.

There will always be many more people looking for a AF15 and FF1, but then there are many more copies of those available.

I'm looking for a decent 3.5-4.0 myself. If you're into SA DC it's the grail to shoot for.

SA>GA

:baiting:

I dunno much about it, but the Dude abides :hail:

lol well that's very helpful Arex, thanks. I have been buying a few SA books here and there. in fact, that last 3 I bought were SA. hm

Yes it's still one of the top SA books. It will always be the start of the SA and thus a mega key, so I don't think it's a risky buy. But will it skyrocket? Who knows.

There will always be many more people looking for a AF15 and FF1, but then there are many more copies of those available.

I'm looking for a decent 3.5-4.0 myself. If you're into SA DC it's the grail to shoot for.

I'm not expecting it to skyrocket, just if I buy one at say $5k, 10 years or so from now, I hope it's still worth $5k.

Showcase #4 seems to be in significant demand in almost any grade, and that's been true as long as I've been collecting. It's one of the handful of silver age books about which you can say that. It's also one of the least common (maybe the least common) of the silver age keys. You just don't see it coming up for sale nearly as often as the other major SA keys.

Whether it will increase in value short-term is another question. Maybe, maybe not - no one can say for sure. But as a long-term investment, Showcase #4 is one of the safest investments among all SA keys in my opinion.

I'm not expecting it to skyrocket, just if I buy one at say $5k, 10 years or so from now, I hope it's still worth $5k.

That's a safe bet with just about any silver age key, but it is a virtual certainly with Showcase #4.

SA>GA

:baiting:

I dunno much about it, but the Dude abides :hail:

lol well that's very helpful Arex, thanks. I have been buying a few SA books here and there. in fact, that last 3 I bought were SA. hm

As always, glad to be of little to no help :acclaim:

I remember it was pretty hot in the 90's, but now seems to have cooled off a bit.

what's the future of this book ? I was thinking about picking up a decent copy, but if I'm going to be wasting my money (long term), I can always find more GA to buy instead. :cloud9:

just wondering.

my name is no accident dude......there is a reason I don't trade as Flash 105 meh

showcase-4 is as bluechip as they get.......remember, the thing with bluechips is, they may not spike up in value, but over the long haul, they are tried and true steady appreciators that you can count on............

my name is no accident dude......there is a reason I don't trade as Flash 105 meh

showcase-4 is as bluechip as they get.......remember, the thing with bluechips is, they may not spike up in value, but over the long haul, they are tried and true steady appreciators that you can count on............

I've always loved the cover, and the Barry Allen Flash, and would love to own the book but with this version of the character not being a part of the current (or future) DC Universe, it gives me some pause, I know it shouldn't, but it does.

I disagree. I see a great softness to Showcase 4... It just doesnt get the juices flowing like other books like it. Maybe because it moved so high in Overstreet over the years. Maybe because theres a 9.6, 9.4 9.2 on down that stay up for sale and never sell for what they "are worth".

Great book. Important as heck... but soft. Id hesitate before putting 5K into a copy. Only to have a copy, but not expecting a profit in the short term... or near long term either.

My gut feeling is that if you bought a copy for $5K ten years ago it would be worth $5K now, and $5K in ten years. I think that speaks to the general trends of mid-low grade DC SA books. You could make the same analogy for Showcase 22, B&B 28, etc in VG. While that was true for marvel SA, it's starting to become less true (at least with AF 15, etc).

just wondering.

Thoughts from the cheap seats... hm

I haven't seen or heard too much about this issue lately, but I don't think that takes away from its value. I've read a handful of books discussing comics, comics history, critcal approaches to comics, etc, and they all seem to make mention of Showcase #4 as the end of the Golden Age and the beginning of the Silver Age. Because it has such an established place in comic history... even I'd have a hard time turning down a nice low grade copy for the right price. If you're looking for a nice midgrade copy dude, my guess is that it would be a safe bet.

I have been looking for one on the slightly higher end in the 8.0-8.5 range. Mark's 9.2 is outta my range. The book seems slow because the only copies you see are 2.0-3.5. There just aren't that many mid to high grade copies floating around. AF15 has so many copies there is a 5.0-8.0 in every auction. CL had one earlier in the year with a 17K price tag that I would have bought and it lasted less that 2 hours. It was sold before I even got my wantlist email. So the book still has some juice.

Maybe the reason Mark's has not sold is he is asking too much. If the 9.6 Pacific Coast X-Men #1 sold for only 100K maybe 125K is too much for a 9.2 Showcase. I would like to see that book in a an auction and see what it would do. I would think 80-90K would be attainable which would be a pretty good profit from the 62K it brought in 2004.

just wondering.

(tsk) Hey, hey don't slam the 105. It can't help that it is only the 5th appearance of the man. I will change my avatar when I obtain my SC4 :cloud9:

As most have stated. It is a "safe" one to buy. I don't think it will appreciate as quickly as AF 15 and FF 1, but, it is a significant comic, and, still relevant.

I still read the current Flash and, Barry is almost always in the story. As a matter of fact, he should be coming back in the new crisis (I haven't picked up the recent series yet.)

And, speaking of a nice 4.0, here's mine. I'll be liberating it at the forum dinner in L.A. before the end of the year.

59184-showcase4_post.jpg

DC has brought Barry back in the Final Crisis mini-series and will have a "Rebirth" mini-series written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Ethan Van Sciver either later this year or early next year. I'm also hoping a Flash movie will come to fruition in the next couple of years.

Showcase #4 seems to be in significant demand in almost any grade, and that's been true as long as I've been collecting. It's one of the handful of silver age books about which you can say that. It's also one of the least common (maybe the least common) of the silver age keys. You just don't see it coming up for sale nearly as often as the other major SA keys.

Whether it will increase in value short-term is another question. Maybe, maybe not - no one can say for sure. But as a long-term investment, Showcase #4 is one of the safest investments among all SA keys in my opinion.

Showcase #8 is slow and over priced in guide. Showcase #4 is a different matter. The demand for Showcase #4 is strong. Problem is, unlike AF#15, most copies are pretty beat.

S