• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DARK KNIGHT smashes its way into the top 50 (inflation adjusted)

105 posts in this topic

In order to be a true fanboy, this guy needs to personally identify with the object of their affection, so that any insult against "it" is taken as a personal insult.

Says who, besides you? ANY type of obsessive behavior fits under all the definitions I could find by googling it. Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary were the major ones I could find, and they both agree it's broader than you're defining it to be. What you describe is certainly obsessive behavior, but it's just icing on the top of their zeal for whatever it is they love in the first place.

youre just describing that special Elite Fanboy's fanboy category. A small sliver of crazy obsessed weirdos. And you're also in complete denial of your True Fanboyishness.

and its 50,000 posts here under the 2 identities.

Cmon in, the fanboy water's fine. Relax, your in fanboy company.

Okay, what do they say is the difference between a fan and a fanboy, as according to those overly wide non-definitions, there is no way that anyone could be a "fan" of a "childish media" like comics. If you like comics, you're automatically a fanboy? :screwy:

Right?

depends on who is deciding. To a comics fan, no, only the weird obsessed geek sare fanboys. But to th e99% of Americans etc who never set foot in a comic store or Con, face it True Believer, YOU are most definitely a FANBOY. relax your sphincter already!

youre just describing that special Elite Fanboy's fanboy category. A small sliver of crazy obsessed weirdos.

No, there are fans and there are fanboys.

I like the Chiefs, I like to watch them play, and I'm a pretty hardcore fan. But if someone else doesn't like the Chiefs, think they suck, or hammer me with their lackluster playoff record, then I just laugh it off. After all, it's just grown men playing a kid's game.

But I know some Montreal Canadiens fanboys, as well as some Yankees/Steelers ones as well, who if you even mentioned that they might be less than superlative, you would be subjected to every insult known to man, and possibly spark a fist fight.

But you can be a fan without crossing that line to personal fanboy identification.

unfortunately you insult "fanboys" here all the time. So whats the difference. Except that youre the Bizarro fanboy whose fanboy behaviour (by YOUR definition) makes you NOT a fanboy.

ugh... now youll TELL me the subtle hair splitting difference Im sure.

If you like comics, you're automatically a fanboy?

No. But if you read comics and exhibit obsessive behavior -- such as posting tens of thousands of times endlessly debating minutia related to comic book grading, restoration, certification, or perhaps leasing a domain name like "comicinvestor.com" and running a comic book investment-related web site covering ALL the hot Byrne X-Men issues there -- then, FANBOI! :hi:

I'm a fanboy for being a completionist on FF, Spidey, X-Men, Daredevil and diving far, far too esoterically into grading and restoration. ^^

ugh... now youll TELL me the subtle hair splitting difference Im sure.

Hardly, as I have explained it several times, and given perfect examples, but some of you believe that anyone who collects comics is automatically a fanboy and will never be convinced that you can be a fan without moving over into fanboy territory.

I contend there is a line that separates fan from fanboy, and that is crossed when you start personally identifying with "it".

I have no idea where you're dredging up your mysterious "definitions", but the Wiki one is perfect:

Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner.

That's exactly what I said, it's someone who has emotionally invested themselves with "it" and acts accordingly. Insults against "it" are taken personally, and reacted to accordingly.

Some other interesting online definitions:

Fanboys are the pop cultural equivalent of a militant fundamentalist religious follower. I am not talking about just fervent belief here... I am talking about those people who say that if you don't accept their gospel, you will burn in hell and that you are a dirty stinking heathen sinner if you don't see that.

A fanboy is someone who is so emotionally invested in something, that they cannot see any fault with it, and react negatively to anyone highlighting those faults.

A male (or female if a "fangirl") who is completely devoted to a particular work. Fanboys are fiercely loyal and steadfast in their opinion.

well. now I see your point. according to your latest definitions, you are NOT a comics fanboy!!!

You are just a JC fanboy! You defend YOUR fanatical worldview, lashing out at all others who are too dumb to agree with you, and fail to "get it" from your perspective.

"... I am talking about those people who say that if you don't accept their gospel, you will burn in hell and that you are a dirty stinking heathen sinner if you don't see that.

A fanboy is someone who is so emotionally invested in something, that they cannot see any fault with it, and react negatively to anyone highlighting those faults.

A male (or female if a "fangirl") who is completely devoted to a particular work. Fanboys are fiercely loyal and steadfast in their opinion.

I'm not that Impressed. It's not too far ahead of Airport. I mean, Airport!!??

will do >$200mm more than #2 movie of the summer. that's 30mm tickets more. that's 10% of the US population. If DK isn't impressive, then IM was a flop.

What a great point! :applause:

Also, last time I checked, back in the late 70's it didn't take a second mortgage to take the entire family out to a movie. It does these days. So the fact that enough families plunked down $500 million dollars in the US and over $900 million worldwide (collectively), I'd say that by ANY standard TDK is a HUGE success.

You are just a JC fanboy!

I think you have to be an obsessive fan of something normally liked by young kids to be a fanboy...otherwise, you're just a fanatic. Unless JC's really Christian Bale or Hannah Montana, I'm not sure he can be a fanboy of himself. :tonofbricks:

I have no idea where you're dredging up your mysterious "definitions", but the Wiki one is perfect:

Fanboy (sometimes spelled fanboi) is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner.

JC; while I don't necessarily consider myself a fanboy, i do spend an inordinate amount of time on this site monitoring the daily progression of the hobby.

Of course, I'm retired and definitely have the time to do so.

SO for Shlts and grins I checked to see how many posts i actually put up last month, knowing I spend entirely too much time here. I posted approx 120 times in the last month.

Then i decided to see what YOU had in the way of Comicbook Board posting in that same exact time frame (knowing that you have a well-paying full time job).

I was a bit surprised to see that you had about 700 posts. (I'd hate to be your boss, BTW... :grin:).

All I have to say is that anyone who posts almost 6X's as much as I do on these Comic Boards and is both a self proclaimed Family Man and full-time employee, is, beyond the shadow of a doubt, a HUGE FANBOY... :sumo:

Then i decided to see what YOU had in the way of Comicbook Board posting in that same exact time frame (knowing that you have a well-paying full time job).

I was a bit surprised to see that you had about 700 posts. (I'd hate to be your boss, BTW... :grin:).

But I've been off on holidays a lot, with a lot of run-off from the usual weekend getaways, and the kids have babysitters.... so that leaves me a LOT of free time. I've also been buying a ton of books lately - what do they say about idle hands... :devil:

I just got back from a long weekend away, so as of Wednesday, expect my posting to be curtailed quite significantly. :sorry:

I was a bit surprised to see that you had about 700 posts.

But I've been off on holidays a lot...

Burnt...that 700 posts is only a RECENT TREND! Pay attention! :screwy:

And as for those other 27,371 posts...I think 25K of them came in just a few days during a viscious graemlin war with Greggy and MajorKhaos a few years ago. :juggle:

We are what we are Joe. I am never ashamed to admit I am a fanboy. I wear that label with pride.

That's refreshing to hear, as more of the FBs on here refuse to admit it. (thumbs u

Personally, I don't care if my fave movie made $400 million or $400, as long as I can get it on DVD and watch it whenever I want.

Do you care if your favorite type of movies get made? Well, then you should want those studios/directors to stay in business happily making those movies.

The most ironic thing is that if 28 thousand posts in six bloody years on a comic forum doesn't make you a fan boy...

then what the hell does???

Some please tell me!

You really don't know?

A fanboy is someone whose adulation for a specific pop culture item, trend or person is so great that it becomes personal, and the fanboy identifies with it to such an extreme, any negative attributed to "it" is taken as a personal insult by the fanboy.

Popular fanboy retorts:

"You didn't get it"

"You're not a true fan"

"It's impossible to make a bad comic book movie"

"This movie is for thinking people"

Or any variation thereof.

Many on these boards have tried to paint me as a fanboy, insulting things that I like, such as Byrne X-Men or the BA in general, hoping to get a rise out of me - but who cares, it's just funny books. lol

Try it and find out. :banana:

a fan boy is someone who thinks Dark Knight and Watchmen are the best things ever written in modern literature. not just comics.