• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC 48, & 52 Pagers

113 posts in this topic

Arex, just checked out your set...very very nice. It's a very attrative set of books when they're pulled together, and astonishingly you're only 8% through! A lot more fun to be had putting the run together (thumbs u

(worship)(worship)

You wanna buy a bunch of em :whistle:

yes, i will have fun putting it together and working on it, but right now, im more focused on getting my Tec run finished. Well, the 401-500 run that is.

Arex, just checked out your set...very very nice. It's a very attrative set of books when they're pulled together, and astonishingly you're only 8% through! A lot more fun to be had putting the run together (thumbs u

(worship)(worship)

You wanna buy a bunch of em :whistle:

yes, i will have fun putting it together and working on it, but right now, im more focused on getting my Tec run finished. Well, the 401-500 run that is.

Okay, now that is a big chunk of books to be putting together...I presume your talking for another registry set.

As for me & the 52 pagers, I'm happy to pick them up as and when. Apart from the Neal Adams Bat's, and the just generally hard to find stuff in grade, you could happily find most of it in grade within a year or two. I'll keep myself in the run by picking them up one at a time.

I'll think about it. :)

I've got exactly one romance book...those, my friends, are the beeyotches in the run...hands down.

Do it!! ; )

Sure you'll be bombarded by Greggy re those Romance books, but that's the only down side I can see at this point!

Didn't see this anywhere in the thread so here's a link to a decent web-site explaining DC's reasoning in a detailed time-line as to when why and how they went from 80-page giants to 100-page giants to 48-page giants to Dollar Comics to the "DC Explosion" (Implosion).

It also includes DC's Tabloid Treasury comics and Digest comics.

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/giants/

I love the DC 48/52 pagers and like someone previously mentioned

they are a great way to try out a new title if you are collecting them.

I want a Bats 234 and OAAW 244 badly. :wishluck:

Still regret selling a CGC 9.4 copy of the OAAW 244 and honestly

I would lke a VF/NM raw copy to finally see Russ Heath's famous

splash page.

sb14.jpg

Seriously impressive book as I early Superboy are nigh on impossible to find in grade.... but a big (shrug) on posting in this thread as your about 2 decades too early with that gem.

Was the 71'/72' 52 pager fad a recycled printing format idea hm

sb14.jpg

Seriously impressive book as I early Superboy are nigh on impossible to find in grade.... but a big (shrug) on posting in this thread as your about 2 decades too early with that gem.

:gossip: It's a 52-pager, and he's being clever.

sb14.jpg

:gossip: It's a 52-pager, and he's being clever.

lol....JohnT is on to me :shy:

Other that my loving to show Superboy's every chance I get....I do belive that when DC launched the giant format in the early 70's, there was a "wink and a nod" towards the brief time of exactly 20 years ealier when their books said the same thing on their cover:

Look at these 50's covers:

th_sb3.jpgth_sb5.jpgth_sb6.jpgth_sb7.jpg

th_sb9.jpgth_sb10.jpgth_sb12.jpgth_sb15.jpgth_sb16.jpg

and now look at these:

th_sb182.jpgth_sb183.jpgth_sb184.jpgth_sb186.jpgth_sb187.jpg

It's interesting to note that DC put the 52 page banner on the last year or so of the golden age books right before the page count was reduced to (I think) 32 pages.

It's also interesting that they put the 52 page banner on the "end" of their run of quarter books. They had 48 pages on the cover and only on the final issues did they add the cover and back cover as page counts.

I read somewhere that they shifted from claiming 48 pages to 52 pages to try to make the move to a 25 cent book more acceptable. The 25 cent books were always the same size, but they started counting the cover as a page, and that's how they came up with 52 pages.

It would be interesting to know if the old Atom Age 52 pages included the cover wrap in the count.

I read somewhere that they shifted from claiming 48 pages to 52 pages to try to make the move to a 25 cent book more acceptable. The 25 cent books were always the same size, but they started counting the cover as a page, and that's how they came up with 52 pages.

It would be interesting to know if the old Atom Age 52 pages included the cover wrap in the count.

I will pull one out and count tomorrow. :banana:

I will pull one out and count tomorrow. :banana:

:bump: