• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

key phrase: for a while.

I say: in for a penny, in for a pound!

both price are scary silly for that time.

the key is did Dave feel that in 20 years he'd be okay, and WORST CASE, own the best copy of the best comic book, his grail book, his passion??? I say thee yea. He'd curse the seller for taking advantage, but then, wasnt 25 taking advantage too? It was already a lot more than anyone else dared pay at the time.

well I do think/agree he would eventually have paid 50k, yes. But he would have needed the rest of the market to push upwards for a while to make the 50k seem a little less insane

Since it will probably never be sold (his son will inherit it)

lol I love when I see comments like that, as the world is littered with kids feigning interest in something just to get control of it from an inheritance.

Never trust kids, ever. One of my friends had a family business (smelting/castings) worth a ton of money, and he kept telling us and his Dad how much he wanted to take it over. He went to college and got a related diploma/cert, went to work there, and even we were fooled. I know his father was.

Than the moment his Dad kicked off (his mother had died long ago) he sold that baby off for a few million and took off. Haven't seen him since, but damn he was a good actor.

That's dedication to the bit.....

I'm more interested to know how much the Dentist paid for it.

:gossip: $25,000 in 1985.

You sure it wasn't late 81/early 82? Chuck likes to tell the story of how he sold it for "more than double guide"....Guide in 81 was $11.5K, 82 was $13.5K, and 85 was $17K.

:)

I would assume most of the MH key copies are unslabbed.Why get them graded if you arent selling.The seasoned collectors know how to grade.If and when it becomes time to sell im reasonably sure it will be slabbed(ala AA 16).

Dennis

Why get them graded? Well I guess I was looking at it this way, because an insufficiently_thoughtful_person like myself might drop it. I suppose you can have it locked away somewhere, but I have to think if you have a 5 million dollar book, you dont mess around with it. You get the thing graded fast. Its like if you were to have the rarest coin in the world. Do you flip it through your fingers?
Books that have remained undamaged in collector's hands for decades have been damaged within days of being in a slab....either because the slab was handled improperly, or the slab itself was designed poorly....What if you drop the slab....? Oops. Slabs are not damage preventers. As far as "rarest coin in the world", there are a few candidates..1870S half dime, 1870S $3, 1933 $20 (well..with qualification. ;))...one known, each...and yeah, I'd flip those through my fingers. Welll...."flip" isn't the right word, but I'd definitely touch 'em.

Originally Posted By: homerwannabee
I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.

I disagree with just about everything you said ...but hey...that's OK \(thumbs u

If I had Cages money that book would be mine.If you had that much money why would you care about all the other rich people.It seems the uber rich did what they want not swayed by their buddies.Dennis
Quite the contrary...the uber rich make SPORT out of swaying their buddies...

The Honus Wagner card is now up to 1.6 million, so the best Action 1 is worth at LEAST that. How much more depends on the circumstances of the sale.

Actually, the Honus Wagner card that sold in Chicago earlier this month for $1.6 million at auction was a PSA 4 or 5. Its not "The Card" which is an eight and sold privately a few months ago for $2.8 million. Which is why i said originally the MH Action #1 would go for between $3-4 million.

You sure it wasn't late 81/early 82? Chuck likes to tell the story of how he sold it for "more than double guide"....Guide in 81 was $11.5K, 82 was $13.5K, and 85 was $17K.

Do you have your early guides handy, then? Didn't a Marvel #1 sell in the $30k range around '80 or so? If my vague memory is correct (I noted the sale in a school paper on collectibles in 8th grade I think it was, but that was obviously a long time ago), that's another data point as to whether the $25k would have been considered a crazy price for a top book.

And that's actually another small point perhaps worth bringing up. The hobby was coming off the period where Marvel #1 was considered the big book, and heading into the period were Tec #27 was considered the big book, so it may be worth considering that Action #1 may not really have been THE book at the time either.

exactly.. I WAS referring to GA. there was hesitation to pay 30K and up because at that level the appreciation of stocks added up pretty fast... in REAL money. With the profits you could buy all the SA books you listed (pretty much)

But there WERE some pretty big GA purchases during that period. Didn't the MH Whiz #2 sell during that period for well over $100K? If GA experts can chime in on some notable GA sales during the 1996-1999 period, it would be most appreciated.

They were all between 2 and 8K back then, right?

You're good! Actually, all were in the $6-8K range except for the X-Men 1, which was over $10K. I actually paid more for a "NM" JLA 1 than I did for a "NM" TOS 39 or "NM" JIM 83. My how times change. But I hasten to add, those were pretty full prices in those days.

I've heard of the Dentist but don't know much about him. Could someone enlighten me?

well, when your teeth hurt, or ned a really thorough cleaning, you go see a guy with a special chair, and lots of neat tools (and if youre lucky a hot nurse all dressed in whites) and he fixes your teeth, and he is called, the Dentist!

seriously, the comics Dentist is a guy who has assembled one of (or the best) comics collections on the planet including the best known copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1 and Superman, and runs of these titles and all the rest, with a healthy sprinkling of MH copies throughout!

I've heard of the Dentist but don't know much about him. Could someone enlighten me?

well, when your teeth hurt, or ned a really thorough cleaning, you go see a guy with a special chair, and lots of neat tools (and if youre lucky a hot nurse all dressed in whites) and he fixes your teeth, and he is called, the Dentist!

seriously, the comics Dentist is a guy who has assembled one of (or the best) comics collections on the planet including the best known copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1 and Superman, and runs of these titles and all the rest, with a healthy sprinkling of MH copies throughout!

Does he have the Allentown copy of Tec 27?

But there WERE some pretty big GA purchases during that period. Didn't the MH Whiz #2 sell during that period for well over $100K? If GA experts can chime in on some notable GA sales during the 1996-1999 period, it would be most appreciated.

Aman, Tim,

yes the MH Whiz # 2 was $176,000 in 1995 but you also forgot the $100,000 Geppi paid for MH Archie Comics # 1 and Pep # 22 on April 5, 1997.

He was buying many MH books in late seventies early eighties.Many at 2 to 3 times guide.

You`re right, it was definitely 81 or 82, definitely not as late as 1985.