• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

you mean to tell me that there are no ruth cards between 1914 and 1933??? if so then no wonder it was not as big a deal until this 1914 card was found

Hey, this is a "comics" discussion, you guys have turned it into a baseball card discussion :sumo:

lol it all stems from what the Action 1 would sell for. serving as a guide i guess.

Tec 27 and MC 1 were FADS. Since the rise of real comic collecting to the present, the most valuable book has been Action 1

I'd love to see if the data backs this up. Nobody's got their collection of Overstreets handy? Where's zillatoy when you need him?

Tec 27 and MC 1 were FADS. Since the rise of real comic collecting to the present, the most valuable book has been Action 1

I'd love to see if the data backs this up. Nobody's got their collection of Overstreets handy? Where's zillatoy when you need him?

I don't know that I'd call them fads from what I recall of the time. I seem to remember tec 27 being ahead of action 1 for what, at least five years?

besides, whatever book was on top, the four or five top books were all much closer to each other in price. Last 10-15 years action 1 and tec 27 have just left everything else in the dust.

I don't know that I'd call them fads from what I recall of the time. I seem to remember tec 27 being ahead of action 1 for what, at least five years?

Approximately which years was Detective 27 higher than Action 1? Anyone have a hypothesis for why the market valued it higher than Action 1?

how goes it? the years were around the time of the nicholson batman movie, of course. I'm thinking 92 ish?

It goes well! It occurred to me after having my mind blown by the Dark Knight film that I should grab a high-grade FF1 and AF15 before they get too nuts, but it looks to me as if I'm a year too late...WTH is happening to the Silver keys this year? They're 4x higher than the last time I was actively buying just 3-4 years ago.

Tth said Tec 27 was higher than Action 1 before comic collecting got serious, so I thought he meant pre-1980. My first guess was what you suggested, that the first Batman film drove up the price. If you're indeed correct, it makes me wonder what effect the Dark Knight's amazing success might have on the title. My conclusion would be not that much, no more than a 5% bump.

right. First Batman movie jumped it up temporarily.

The first Batman movie was circa 88/89...it was my hey day and I remember coming into the theatre on opening weekend about 1 hour late for the movie.

Anyhow, I do remember specifically that every Batman book went through the roof that year whether it was GA, SA or BA...nobody could hold on to a Batman book. They also were running several modern titles at the time as well. That would be the only reason I can think of that Tec #27 passed Action #1.

R.

I think 'Tec #27 was considered the #1 GA book until 1992. BATMAN RETURNS didn't do anything for Batmania, and Action #1 regained its title shortly thereafter.

not only that but random joker covers doubled overnight!

I rememberJoker covers that were listed at 150 bucks NM in Overstreet marked up to 500 dollars in mid grade. It was crazy!

how goes it? the years were around the time of the nicholson batman movie, of course. I'm thinking 92 ish?

It goes well! It occurred to me after having my mind blown by the Dark Knight film that I should grab a high-grade FF1 and AF15 before they get too nuts, but it looks to me as if I'm a year too late...WTH is happening to the Silver keys this year? They're 4x higher than the last time I was actively buying just 3-4 years ago.

two schools of thought

a) gene - rampant asset bubble, all hard assets overdue for a meltdown

b) they'll go up forever

take yer pic lol

yeah, that 70 year Batman character launched in TEC 27 is just a fad..... should be fading out any day now..... its not like there are movies being made about him.....

When did "real comic collecting" start anyway? I started collecting "for real" in 1982.

I remember TEC 27 overtaking Action 1 in the late 1980s, probably at the 1989 Batman movie time. If it can do it once it could do it again. These Batman movies are a lot more popular than the Superman movies, and could translate into TEC 27 being higher than Action #1 again some day down the road.

Certainly it can happen again (although action 1 is really ingrained as the #1 book right now so it would take a bit to dethrone it). And action 1 is the more historically important book, although they haven't done anything meaningful with superman comics in, oh, 50 years? It will always be the book I will prefer but I can see the argument for tec 27 too

Holy sh!!t Rudd, where have you been? Lost in some MMO?