• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

BTW, i think the Ruth rookie will pass Wagner as the most expensive baseball card eventually.

Jeff

Then you should buy one :baiting:

And are any baseball team owners known baseball card collectors. Or buy cards for a team museum? Surely Stenbreinner and those other billionaire owners could buy any card they want. For that matter, so could a few players (A-Rod)

BTW, i think the Ruth rookie will pass Wagner as the most expensive baseball card eventually.

Jeff

And are any baseball team owners known baseball card collectors. Or buy cards for a team museum? Surely Stenbreinner and those other billionaire owners could buy any card they want. For that matter, so could a few players (A-Rod)

One Ruth card just sold for $517,000 earlier this year. If i had the loot, i would. I got to sell trillions of bags and boards to buy that!! hm

Jeff

A few? More than 80% of MLBers can afford that stuff

Jeff

Very true. As a matter of fact, the scrubs in the league should buy it, cause when their career is over in a couple of years, they could retire by selling that card.

Jeff

One Ruth card just sold for $517,000 earlier this year. If i had the loot, i would. I got to sell trillions of bags and boards to buy that!! hm

What's the grade of the best Ruth rookie card?

I doubt it. The T-206 Wagner has been the Grail for decades. Who cares if it's Honus Wagner and not Babe Ruth - it could be Fred Flintstone for argument's sake. The fact is that card has been venerated for decades as the pinnacle of the hobby. Whether the backstory of why the card was pulled from circulation is true or not is just a footnote at this point - it just adds to the mystique and lore of the card. Have there been books and pop culture references made about the Babe Ruth rookie (like there are for the T-206 Wagner)? Most guys like me (I collected cards from roughly 1979 to 1991) who used to collect cards don't even know there is such a thing as the Babe Ruth rookie - I only even heard about it from reading a Mastro or REH catalog within the last year. (shrug)

I've read about some players who collect cards and memorabilia. You would think there would be more of them, but, empirically, that hasn't been the case. Just more evidence that people who actually have tons of money have different interests and spending habits than most collectors perceive. :sorry:

I think I'll be waiting a long time before I get outbid by Sam Raimi or Tobey Maguire on ASM original art. Just goes to show that even people close to the subject matter who are loaded are, by and large, just not interested in this stuff. Shocking to collectors, less so for the world at large. (shrug)

I doubt it. The T-206 Wagner has been the Grail for decades. Who cares if it's Honus Wagner and not Babe Ruth - it could be Fred Flintstone for argument's sake. The fact is that card has been venerated for decades as the pinnacle of the hobby. Whether the backstory of why the card was pulled from circulation is true or not is just a footnote at this point - it just adds to the mystique and lore of the card. Have there been books and pop culture references made about the Babe Ruth rookie (like there are for the T-206 Wagner)? Most guys like me (I collected cards from roughly 1979 to 1991) who used to collect cards don't even know there is such a thing as the Babe Ruth rookie - I only even heard about it from reading a Mastro or REH catalog within the last year. (shrug)

yes and no. certainly Honus has a wicked headstart on Babes rookie card. But, wasnt it just discovered? Anyway, things can change. Marvel 1 and 4Color 9 were ALWAYS going to be the most valuable comics, werent they?

If the Babe card gets more huge bids soon, it could gain such momentum to rival Honus card, and at equal values, who wouldnt want The Babe instead that surly "nobody"?? There's a real parallel between Action 1/Superman overtaking MC1/Torch+Namor. The more popular character won out in the end. Analogy doesn't really work against Donald Duck though

yes and no. certainly Honus has a wicked headstart on Babes rookie card. But, wasnt it just discovered? Anyway, things can change. Marvel 1 and 4Color 9 were ALWAYS going to be the most valuable comics, werent they?

If the Babe card gets more huge bids soon, it could gain such momentum to rival Honus card, and at equal values, who wouldnt want The Babe instead that surly "nobody"?? There's a real parallel between Action 1/Superman overtaking MC1/Torch+Namor. The more popular character won out in the end. Analogy doesn't really work against Donald Duck though

Exactly. Back in the day I remember thinking and hearing that MC1 couldn't be unseated because it was TWO major first appearances in one. Well so much for that.

FC9 - well I think that's a case of duck collectors really being barks collectors and it not even "really" being a barks book. Its what, half and half and isn't written by barks IIRC? I love ducks and I've always wanted the other early ones like mummy's ring far more and yet given the fact fc9 is priced higher, have never even thought about going after that book. I've read a reprint and it definitely doesn't have the all-barks charm. So its not the first meaningful barks IMO and it isn't the first duck book or even the first duck four color. So what's it got going for it? not much to support big pricing (shrug)

Tec 27 and MC 1 were FADS. Since the rise of real comic collecting to the present, the most valuable book has been Action 1, with a few years here and there where one of the other 2 books eclipsed it temporarily. Another book might eclipse Action 1 again at some point, but my bet would be that it would be temporary, and eventually Action 1 would reassert its rightful place at the top of the heap.

My guess is it would be the same with the T-206 Wagner, particularly if the best Ruth card doesn`t grade out as high as the best Wagner.

I agree to an extent as i was really into cards for around the same time. I was asking some of the high-end sports dealers about the Ruth card and it was found for the first time around 1998. Now Wagner was one of the better players in the history of baseball, but he is not Babe Ruth. As Ruth's rookie gets more clout and hype over the years I believe it will surpass Wagner as the most valuable baseball card. I think Mystique will overtake the Ruth card as well. Where did it come from?? How come all the big dogs in the sportscard industry never heard of it. Whats the deal?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Jeff

Funny i just read a story in the SMR (Sports Market Report) a couple of weeks ago. Dmitri Young of the Washington Nationals has a sick, sick baseball card collection. He collects PSA 10's of all Hall Of Fame Rookies. Quite a collection as i was reading it.

not only that but if what's currently known as the ruth rookie was only discovered late, how come the next ruth card in line, whatever that is (I won't profess to know) wasn't more valuable in the 80s and 90s. Whatever, I guess we can't change that but I couldn't agree more with hotflips. ruth will overtake wagner

not only that but if what's currently known as the ruth rookie was only discovered late, how come the next ruth card in line, whatever that is (I won't profess to know) wasn't more valuable in the 80s and 90s. Whatever, I guess we can't change that but I couldn't agree more with hotflips. ruth will overtake wagner

I believe the next in line Ruth card was a 1933 Goudy. End of the career card. It is still a very expensive card in any grade but nothing compared to Wagner or even Mantle.

Just to throw another curve ball out there, but they found another Ruth "rookie". It is a team photo and is the same set as what is now known as his Rookie card. As far as i know, there is only one of them that i heard of.

you mean to tell me that there are no ruth cards between 1914 and 1933??? if so then no wonder it was not as big a deal until this 1914 card was found

Hey, this is a "comics" discussion, you guys have turned it into a baseball card discussion :sumo:

Jeff

What's the grade of the best Ruth rookie card?

They think its an SGC 40, which is equivilent to a 3 in PSA i believe.

you mean to tell me that there are no ruth cards between 1914 and 1933??? if so then no wonder it was not as big a deal until this 1914 card was found

There are a couple of cards from the 20's, but i dont think they are recognized as much as they arent from a major company.