• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your CGC 9.9's and 10.0's

1,307 posts in this topic

scan0006-1.jpg

:baiting:

You know i have pm you about this book more then once

anf that other one you have or had too.

What, this one?

scan0023-2.jpg

Now your just being mean but yeah you know i want them both.

lol I'll get back to you on them.

:headbang: Sounds good

I understand that it's nice to see 9.9s and 10s but I don't think you can really make substantive comments to differentiate b/w 9.6s and 9.8s or 9.8s and 9.9s or 10s w/o a jewlers eye and a personal examination of the book.

beachbum can i have seen this man in action and he is a machine and very good at what he does.

And i think a decent percentage of guys can pull a 9.8 reguraly. I know can usually spot a 9.8 with out a issue but 9.9 and 10s no luck yet but then again never know what graders are thinkin that day

I was looking through some raw books in Boston and saw this beauty on a table with no bag and board... Knew she was going to pop 10.0

Seriously how can you spot a 10.0 as opposed to a 9.8? I don't get it. I guarantee if I pull a comic off the shelf its 9.8 instantly, is that not the case?

NO.

I understand that it's nice to see 9.9s and 10s but I don't think you can really make substantive comments to differentiate b/w 9.6s and 9.8s or 9.8s and 9.9s or 10s w/o a jewlers eye and a personal examination of the book.

True that.

My WD 1 9.9 is a real beauty. If it wasn't for a small defect at the top left corner it might have been the first 10.0 in my opinion. It's really that nice of a book in hand. Really nice.

It's great to also know that it was from one owner who had it since it came out and was not circulated around or pressed. I talked to him and his wife a bit in Philly, and he showed me some other WD books he was thinking about submitting from his original owner run and I helped him weed out the less than 9.8s... He had a strong 9.9 candidate for the first Governor issue as well.

I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk but I can really spot a 9.9 or 10.0 candidate. When I picked up that 10.0 raw of the Rocketeer in Boston I showed it to a couple of people (Jeff from Hotflips can attest to this - he was one) and I said it was gonna come back 10.0... and it did.

I don't have time to scan & post all the 9.9s and 10.0s I get. Sometimes I just scan this week's books and put them up before I send them to owners (all regular 9.8 customers). Maybe I'll try to be better about posting them as they come in.

The other reason I don't post them on a normal basis is because as soon as I put them up I get PM requests... but they are almost all already allocated to regular customers. :(

True that.

My WD 1 9.9 is a real beauty.

Couldn't agree more. I had one that I thought was going to be a 9.9 and it came back a 9.8, but I'll keep trying. The key for me though is using the jewlers eye on the corners and then really all over the book to find the micro-imperfections. I am not as good as I would like to be at examining the inside of books either. I really wish that CGC or someone else would do a scholastic article on CGC grading. HINT HINT HINT : )

As with anything the more 9.9/10.0's you see the easier it gets. It took awhile to get my 1st 9.9 and now it's a regular occurrence. It's fun to see back issues hit the grade. I have found if you have your heart set on a 9.9/10.0 on a new release all it takes is time. Some issues due to printing errors, bindery tears etc I don't think will ever hit that grade but that's my 2c

I have a quick question for the peep's who have had a 9.9 or a 10.. when you guys find these books , either off the shelf , in a order , or from a dealer. Do you instantly put it in a protector or just walk around and carry or , do you guys start carrying bags and boards with you or in the car where ever you go !! lol . Just curious

I've found mine straight out of the Diamond boxes if a LCS let me. I was always really careful wearing two pairs of cream-colored (white makes me sneeze under the lights) cottton gloves. After inspecting the best ones, they went straight into a bag and board and sandwiched in between cardboard dividers for the ride home. Cars like my Celica or Blazer with bucket seats are very dangerous to just leave on the seat. lol

Quick question: I notice that the vast majority of moderns I see have tiny white pulls at both ends of the spine, which I assume result from some part of the manufacturing process as they are so ubiquitous on these books.

If this is the case, are they viewed as defects when grading, and if the book is otherwise faultless would they be allowable on 9.8's and above?

Thanks.

The other Locke & Key #1 CGC 10 (the first one I sold 2009) had questionable corners. So, it's possible to get a gem mint with them. It really didn't like it (as it felt like a 9.8) and was probably the first time I started to question grading in general. The book I thought would hit 10, got 9.9 instead. I thought it was a mix-up in sorts. lol

But, it's subjective I guess. I also reasoned it might not be all cosmetic and just as much structure and durability too. My 2c

How does everyone put a price on their one of kind 9.9's/ 10's especially when they're modern?
I always felt and proved, cardstock covers (old IDW books in general) should be priced on a curve*. Only the keyest of the keys should be priced right. Trouble with IDW, once you get one reasonably graded book, there might be one graded the same way next week. :frustrated:

* CGC 9.9's are like regular CGC 9.8's. :insane: