• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SSSSShilling up your books at auction houses

55 posts in this topic

You can bid up your own books. You ever wonder why certain books are auctioned off three times in a year via one auction house, despite reserve met ???

thanks.you learn something new everday on the CGC boards. looks like thiers a lot of crookiness going on out there. so now I found out about shill bidding being allowed and comics being restored. didn`t know about this stuff a year ago. I wonder how many people get scammed?

And you do know that Heritage employees bid on their own auction too, don't you? (shrug)

no and how do you know when the Auction houses sell their own books?

you don't (thumbs u

That's the beauty of privately owned auction houses.

No accountability.

The beauty of these boards is that dealers get to rag on their competition with very little accountability.

Kinda like I'm doing right now! :grin:

You can bid up your own books. You ever wonder why certain books are auctioned off three times in a year via one auction house, despite reserve met ???

thanks.you learn something new everday on the CGC boards. looks like thiers a lot of crookiness going on out there. so now I found out about shill bidding being allowed and comics being restored. didn`t know about this stuff a year ago. I wonder how many people get scammed?

And you do know that Heritage employees bid on their own auction too, don't you? (shrug)

When you can buy a book from an auction house at a price well under GPA,

it's not one of their books. (thumbs u

That's the beauty of privately owned auction houses.

No accountability.

The beauty of these boards is that dealers get to rag on their competition with very little accountability.

Kinda like I'm doing right now! :grin:

No, the boards hold EVERYONE accountable. Unjust statements are usually quickly called out. (thumbs u

When you can buy a book from an auction house at a price well under GPA,

it's not one of their books. (thumbs u

lol:signfunny:

A good friend of mine bid on two of his own books. Both were with auction houses. Both books were very high grade GA... He asked me to bid on one of his books. I did indeed bid. I wanted the book. We couldn't come to a FMV for it. So he calls me up and says "keep going" with a chuckle in his voice. I told him I wasn't bidding to shill the price up. He seemed to be perplexed.. He had assumed I was shilling his book for him.. The book got to a point where I decided it wasn't worth it anymore. So I stopped bidding. Fast Forward a few months and I see my friend. He says he still has that GA book I was bidding on. I pretty much knew he had been shilling his own book up. It cost him a good amount in fee's to win his own book back. He wanted to sell it to me. Included in his price were the fee's he had to pay to win his own book back. I had kept a record of the bids on the book. I went back and looked through them all. I found the spot where I believe he started to bid on his own book. It was around $5K. So I told him I'd go $6,500.00. He said he would be "eating the fee's" at that price. I really didn't care. That was the price I thought the book was priced fairly. The book "sold" for $8,550.00 plus all the fee's. He still has the book. I still got my $6,500.00 It will take around 1.5 - 2 years before this book appreciates to the level where he can sell it and not take a loss. Bidding on your own books or whatever, should be illegal. I suppose smart sellers know when to stop bidding. Some get cocky and bid there books right back into there own hands. It looks good on them as far as I am concerned!!

Worst case scenario:

You win your own book at Heritage for $1000. With BP, you pay $1200. Heritage keeps 20% of your $1000 winning bid - you get $800 back.

You paid $400 (40%) for the privelege of re-owning your book.

Just because a book has been in an auction a couple of times in a row does NOT mean that the item was shilled or whatever you want to call it. A prime example was just in comiclink's auction.

The Marvel Tales #93 CGC 8.0 Single Highest Graded Copy was my book. I purchased the book before the NYCC and when the book did not sell, I consigned it to Josh for the April auction. I paid 1500.00 for the book, but felt sure it would sell for a big premium, since it was the first issue and best certified example. Well, to my surprise, the book sold for just under 1300.00. I don't know who bought it. As far as I am concerned, it was none of my business. Apparently whoever bought it, thought there as some potential short money on the book and put it back in the latest auction. I am not sure what it ended up selling for, but the last time I looked, it was lower than last time.

I think wayyy too much is being made of schilling, at least in terms of comiclink. I don't know about Heritage. I haven't put anything with them in forever.

Just because a book has been in an auction a couple of times in a row does NOT mean that the item was shilled or whatever you want to call it. A prime example was just in comiclink's auction.

The Marvel Tales #93 CGC 8.0 Single Highest Graded Copy was my book. I purchased the book before the NYCC and when the book did not sell, I consigned it to Josh for the April auction. I paid 1500.00 for the book, but felt sure it would sell for a big premium, since it was the first issue and best certified example. Well, to my surprise, the book sold for just under 1300.00. I don't know who bought it. As far as I am concerned, it was none of my business. Apparently whoever bought it, thought there as some potential short money on the book and put it back in the latest auction. I am not sure what it ended up selling for, but the last time I looked, it was lower than last time.

I think wayyy too much is being made of schilling, at least in terms of comiclink. I don't know about Heritage. I haven't put anything with them in forever.

(thumbs u

You call a person who shill bid a book you wanted a Good friend? And follows it up by wanting you to pay for his fees in shill bidding his own book up.

You need to get a new friend.

Sometimes good friends can be dumb as doornails.

Well I sure wish he'd make it back for the playoffs. That guy is clutch!

Plenty, but if you educate yourself, you greatly lessen your chances of getting screwed.

Plenty, but if you educate yourself, you greatly lessen your chances of getting screwed.

scammers must hate CGC for ruining thier scams. CGC and the internet(leveled the playing field) two of the best things that ever happened to this great hobby.