• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another con from the official con men of ebay

64 posts in this topic

Color touch? Details? I'm having trouble seeing it. I do see what appears to be tape or tape stains on the spine, though.

Looks like long creases "disappear" when they go into the dark blue box areas and "re-appear" on the opposite side. Touch up probably in the blue areas.

The black area on the bottom right is suspect as well. Notice how the diagonal corner crease "stops" as soon as it hits the black area?

hm

'K. Thanks. I was looking at the wrong areas.

I agree with Joey....the right edge does look trimmed.

Shark

Nope. That is a normal right edge for that book. You can't tell if that book is trimmed unless in hand but I don't think it is.

R.

I compared the location of the issue/date box to other copies centered the same. The full box appears in all of those books that are equally centered. Aside from that I never speculate on trimming off of a scan.

This is a very common printing defect that cannot be analyzed without the book in hand. ou do a search for JIM #83, FF #12 and other books you will see the right hand edge touching the box more often than not. Just like FF #48 is always miswrapped, these two books are often miscut at the right. Don't know why...they just are.

hm (thumbs u

This stuff with this dealer is pretty bad. Good catch on the CT as i'd never be able to see it without a warning. If that is truly CT, i'm not sure what the defense could be, other than the aforementioned, "we didn't have it in our possession, yet"... (tsk)

as far as the potential trimming, while that right edge does look suspiciously wavy, i checked my copy to try and verify what Roy opined as well as seeing if there seems to be less comic in general on their copy.

mine seems to be pretty well centered (must be an anomaly as niether the price box on the left nor the issue # or Comic Code boxes on the right are cut off). However, their copy has more room on the left edge and less on the right and that suggests to me there's less likelihood of it being trimmed. (although the spine roll could account for that, so who knows...)

JIM89004.jpg

OK, check these out if anyone has any doubts. If there is one thing I know, it's JIM #83.

JIM #83 CGC 9.2

JIM #83 CGC 7.5 R

I could go on and on...but you get my point.

I definitely see the aforementioned tape stains, at the bottom of the spine and at the lower staple.

I wonder if the tape is still present on the cover interior?

There are more scans on the auction page, but no, the tape residue seems to exist just on the outside. This book definitely has been doctored and shame on these guys for not disclosing a thing.

I have strong suspicion those staples have been replaced as well. doh!

What, you think that shiny piece of metal looks unnatural? :/

Did anyone even bother writing Gus about this book, just for kicks and grins at the response?

I have strong suspicion those staples have been replaced as well. doh!

The book looks pressed. Especially the staples...they look like they are from a JIM #84.

:eek:

:baiting:

I agree with Joey....the right edge does look trimmed.

Shark

Nope. That is a normal right edge for that book. You can't tell if that book is trimmed unless in hand but I don't think it is.

R.

I compared the location of the issue/date box to other copies centered the same. The full box appears in all of those books that are equally centered. Aside from that I never speculate on trimming off of a scan.

This is a very common printing defect that cannot be analyzed without the book in hand. If you do a search for JIM #83, FF #12 and other books you will see the right hand edge touching the box more often than not. Just like FF #48 is always miswrapped, these two books are often miscut at the right. Don't know why...they just are.

The printer union back in those days required three liquor breaks per shift....by the end of the day EVERYTHING got a little off center.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just got a friendly text message from the con man himself - Greg Jortner. He says that the book is unrestored and he knows this because it's been thoroughly checked.

I texted him back asking him if it was his mom who checked for the resto... because it's as plain as his crooked auctions.

He also thanked me for plugging his book. Hi Greg :hi:

Just got a friendly text message from the con man himself - Greg Jortner. He says that the book is unrestored and he knows this because it's been thoroughly checked.

I texted him back asking him if it was his mom who checked for the resto... because it's as plain as his crooked auctions.

He also thanked me for plugging his book. Hi Greg :hi:

How is this for a plug Greg?

Greg Jortner still owes me 7,700$, a debt which is now over 1 year old. He solicited this money from me at the end of July 2007 on the basis that it would be invested in a high grade collection that Neatstuff was selling. A collection which he never even bought. He said that I would be paid back within a few weeks. We'd aquire the collection, have it graded and turn it over. The money mysteriously got invested into other books, with no permission asked by Greg, and no accountablility as to specifics on his part. He proceeded to lie to me month after month about repayment, and keep pushing the date back, until a few months ago when he completely stopped answering my calls or messages. I have never met a worse liar in my life than Greg. I have a copy of a certified check sent to Greg, and can provide records of Paypal payments also made to Greg, as well as two Money Gram payments he had me send on his behalf, at my own expense, to God knows who. At one point he wanted me to make a third payment to someone, after failing to repay the first two, and when I expressed hesitation and refusal, he says to me,"What are you worried about, you'll get your money back-its me..." Enough said. I seriously doubt Greg will ever pay me back, but at least this message can be a warning to others. Thanks for nothing Greg. :hi: