• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS or not?

51 posts in this topic

I have just recently started collecting Signature Series books, mostly just out of wanting to do something a little different than I have been doing over the past forty years or so. Concerning this, I recently had a PM conversation with someone here and it got me to wondering about the thoughts ya'll might have about having someone scribble their name on the cover of your 9.8 book.

So, my questions are:

If given a choice, would you want a CGC 7.5 Signature Series AF#15 signed by Stan Lee or a Universal Label CGC 7.5 AF#15 not signed?

If given a choice, would you want an Amazing Spiderman #50, CGC 9.2 signed on the cover by Stan Lee or the same book not signed on the cover?

Finally, would you be more inclined to buy a signed on the cover CGC 9.8 SS of Invincible #1, or the same book but not signed and just a CGC 9.8 Universal label?

I have three different examples because I believe they have different factors involved.

When I was first collecting, writing (any writing) was a flaw, especially on the cover. Now it seems to be more sought after than just a great condition book. Doesn't a signature on the cover of a book make it less of a grade?

I'm just looking for different outlooks that might be around. I really can't make up my mind. I had Stan Lee sign the inside first page of an Iron Man #1 way back when, but I turned down the opportunity to have him sign my AF#15, and I would never have let him sign the COVER of either.

I haven't even went into what you would desire most: a CGC 7.0 Action #45 with Edgar Church written on the cover (presumably his actual handwritting), or the same book free of writing. That of course could not (?) be a signature series slabbed book, but could probably be authenticated somehow.

IMO, a high grade book should only be SS if it is something that is easily obtained, or the sig is near impossible to get (Frazetta).

I wouldn't risk getting any copy of AF15 signed by Stan. #1, the man has signed more books than anyone in the history of time, and #2, he might sketch a big assed cockroach on it.

:sumo:

IMO, a high grade book should only be SS if it is something that is easily obtained, or the sig is near impossible to get (Frazetta).

I wouldn't risk getting any copy of AF15 signed by Stan. #1, the man has signed more books than anyone in the history of time, and #2, he might sketch a big assed cockroach on it.

Or he could scribble out his name leaving a black blotch and re-sign the book like the Cap #100 that was a high grade then dropped to a 9.2 or something like that.

Depends on the grade. If the book is in ultra- HG, I wouldnt touch it. If I had an AF15 in lower condition, I would be more inclined to have it signed, but still would probably get the inside signed instead. A signature is a signature, so I would rather have it on the inside. You know its there, and doesnt detract from the cover-art.

I have one signature series book: a CGC 8.0 Famous Funnies 211 signed by Frazetta. In general, I do not like sigs on covers, but love my Frazetta book and would consider SS books by a few other GA greats.

Stan Lee's sig is a dime a dozen and, while cool, may limit the resale opportunities of a book like a CGC 7.0 AF 15. I would say, if you want Stan's sig, get it on something else. A Stan sig on Spidey 50 or other later SA book seems reasonable.

But, if it's a forever book for you, you should have any book, in any condition signed by whoever you want.

You can also just buy a book that's already signed which will remove any guilt you might feel for "defacing" a cover.

2c

Here's a thought on signature placement. If you're getting the book for you and don't have any plans on reselling, have the artist or writer sign where ever you like. If you're not sure its a keeper but still want the sig, have it signed inside. That way, if you sell it down the road, it should appeal to both camps on the SS front. The ones who declare defacement may settle for a book with an interior sig if they really need it. If you want an SS book as an investment, its probably not a great idea in my opinion unless its a highly sought after signature. Also, (and once again, my opinion) its nice to have someone who worked directly on the book. I know Stan can sign whatever he wants, but its real sweet to have him on an SA book in which he wrote the story.

I love the CGC SS for Sketch covers, as in all those blanks issued nowadays, with some actual one of a kind art. M Wolfe has done some crazy good pieces on the Fallen Son blanks, and I have owned 2 Red Sonja sketches that were just killer good.

Also, if you get a whole creative team of signatures on some obscure modern variant, I think that is very cool also. But I am not a fan of the signature on a high grade vintage comic at all.

hm

No roach here...

AmazingFantasy_015.jpg