• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

All I have to say is Invincible # 1s are steadily increasing in price and I don't see them dropping anytime soon.

Actually, it was a $350 - $400 book and it held steady there for a while... and then it has recently spiked for the last handful of GPA captured sells for no apparent reason as far as I can determine.

All I have to say is Invincible # 1s are steadily increasing in price and I don't see them dropping anytime soon.

Actually, it was a $350 - $400 book and it held steady there for a while... and then it has recently spiked for the last handful of GPA captured sells for no apparent reason as far as I can determine.

It was a $325 book 2 years ago. Then it was a $350 book then $400. There was a steady increase.

Now the sudden jump to $600 is odd... hm

It was a $325 book 2 years ago. Then it was a $350 book then $400. There was a steady increase.

Jumps in price are sometimes related to a drought in the market.

Sure enough... a copy sold for $381 in September 2014...

then two weeks later the last 2014 sale was in October for $354.

Another copy didn't sell (on a source to GPAnalysis) until February 2015 for $488...

after no sales for over four months.

The book had been selling about once every 6 weeks... but you had no copies selling

during the holidays (or right after) when you might expect a copy or two to sell as a gift (or with spending money for self).

That February '15 sale (up almost 40% over October '14) set the price near $500, and the next 3 that sold, all in March '15, were $500+.

So... we've either established a new normal... or the pent-up demand has been met.

It's likely that we'll figure out which is true by summer. :grin:

Another copy didn't sell (on a source to GPAnalysis) until February 2015 for $488...

The book had been selling about once every 6 weeks... but you had no copies selling

during the holidays (or right after) when you might expect a copy or two to sell as a gift (or with spending money for self).

That February '15 sale (up almost 40% over October '14) set the price near $500, and the next 3 that sold, all in March '15, were $500+.

So... we've either established a new normal... or the pent-up demand has been met.

Yea I think the Supply factor in the book is very true. Even if you look now, I don't think there is a 9.8 on the 'Bay. If you look back through the thread, I've been looking for a copy since 2012. I watched for books but they were few and far between. I don't wander into the marketplace often because it just leads to bad things, but even there I've only seen maybe 4 or 5 sales.

The book was low print and collectors of the book have held their copies, or so it seems anyway. The book has a loyal following that has stuck with it - just look at the sales. Sales have maintained pretty steady for a long time with occasional spikes.

I'd love to see some new readers, but even looking through this thread it is the same handful of people.

Edited by Official Chris S.

Yea I think the Supply factor in the book is very true. Even if you look now, I don't think there is a 9.8 on the 'Bay. If you look back through the thread, I've been looking for a copy since 2012. I watched for books but they were few and far between. I don't wander into the marketplace often because it just leads to bad things, but even there I've only seen maybe 4 or 5 sales.

The book was low print and collectors of the book have held their copies, or so it seems anyway. The book has a loyal following that has stuck with it - just look at the sales. Sales have maintained pretty steady for a long time with occasional spikes.

I'd love to see some new readers, but even looking through this thread it is the same handful of people.

For what it's worth... I didn't buy a #1 until the book was around issue #88.

I was a bit late to the game. I was working at my LCS one summer and the owner was telling me about the premise of the book. Fortunately, I worked there so I was able to pick up the Ultimate Collections for 40% off. I got caught up really quickly. I believe the book was in the mid 60s at the time.

I instantly went looking for a copy of #1 but felt like it was too expensive for a modern. At the time, it was right around $250 or so. I wish I'd just grabbed one then because I spent almost twice that a couple weeks back.

I've since recommended the book to everyone I know. I'm always amazed how many readers of TWD have never even heard of the book. I also think the book is plagued by the fact it is up in the 100s. You just can't attract new readers. I feel like it would have benefitted more from a $.25 Volume 2 number 1. I hate to say that, but seeing a number 1 with Kirkman might have gotten some readers.

Invincible #1 in CGC 9.8 condition is still a $360-$400 if you look around. I was looking for a couple of months and picked one up for $365 last week.

For those thinking about getting one please don't listen to people promoting the book that also have some for sale. In the last couple of years we have seen a lot of people talking up issues that they consider a great investment and shortly after seeing these same people selling the same issue they were claiming was a great investment. If it's such a great investment why are they selling their copies?

If you are going to listen to someone listen to the guys who are claiming a comic is a great investment and are actually BUYING the comic. When I say buying I mean actually buying them. I'm not talking about claiming you are buying them and when someone contacts them they say they just purchased a bunch and are only looking for copies that are great deals.

These boards are supposed to be a community of comic collectors trying to help each other out. It's not supposed to be used as a way to pimp your comics by talking them up right before you sell them.

I agree with everything you are saying about this message board. You have to think for yourself and there is definitely a ton of pimping & carnival barking here on the boards.

However, I don't think it's happening with Invincible #1. 2c

100% agree with this.

That's what I thought. Kirkman needs to do something with Invincible sooner than later. I understand he has other books and Walking Dead is his baby right now, but Invincible is an important part of his group of books and Image comics. Whether it's an animated series to start or just a promo things to come (movie?). People want this! He needs to listen and gives the fans what they want. This could be the next Star Wars with many sequels. I see no limitations with things he can do. This would bring in so many new readers to appreciate his book. I just think everyone is stuck reading and watching WD and following the new books and possie shows (as people said, is over 100 issues now and people don't wanna jump on).

When I bought my #1, I absolutely had to get a #2 at the same time. First appearance of Eve. :cloud9:

Eve is in the first issue in a class room scene.

hm

Hulk 180 vs. Hulk 181 --- might as well get both. lol

[EDIT] Just checked... that "appearance" of Eve in #1 is sad... she deserves better. #2 for the win! :cloud9:

That's what I thought. Kirkman needs to do something with Invincible sooner than later. I understand he has other books and Walking Dead is his baby right now, but Invincible is an important part of his group of books and Image comics. Whether it's an animated series to start or just a promo things to come (movie?). People want this! He needs to listen and gives the fans what they want. This could be the next Star Wars with many sequels. I see no limitations with things he can do. This would bring in so many new readers to appreciate his book. I just think everyone is stuck reading and watching WD and following the new books and possie shows (as people said, is over 100 issues now and people don't wanna jump on).

Yup, you said it. I was pretty much told this isn't going to happen. Invincible is now Kirkmans #3. Got another 4 seasons of TWD at least, who knows with Outcast, then maybe an Invincible something. Don't hold your breath.

If it is anything, it was definitely pent up demand. Yes, there simply are not many copies of this book floating around. However... the thought pattern of "something has to happen with this book soon" meaning movie / television is just crazy.

No, something does not have to happen, it could just be a comic book.

Is it new readers? Maybe... but lets be honest: what percentage of new Invincible readers are going to seek out a 9.8 copy of this book and plop down $600? 1% of 1%?

I said pages and pages ago that it is probably attributable to it being tax return time and people having money burning a hole in their pocket.

I love this series, but sorry, it is not a $600 book - I think the number of people out there willing to pay such a price for it are probably in the single digits.

Fwiw, I never read this title until June or July of last year. My local library had the collections available, so I started there. I think this is the best new comic/character to come along in over a decade. It's both fun and serious, and has sensibilities that make me think of SA Marvel. People that like the "tights and capes" type books should give this a read.

I wouldn't expect new people to chime in on this thread, as it seems it's mostly a speculation thread for individual books.

Fwiw, I never read this title until June or July of last year. My local library had the collections available, so I started there. I think this is the best new comic/character to come along in over a decade. It's both fun and serious, and has sensibilities that make me think of SA Marvel. People that like the "tights and capes" type books should give this a read.

I wouldn't expect new people to chime in on this thread, as it seems it's mostly a speculation thread for individual books.

It really shouldn't be a speculation thread. Mostly it seems to be an OA thread, which I'm fine with - I don't collect OA but I like to come and read about the guys here that do, I like their passion for the series.

As an aside... as a new reader using the library to catch up, are you a #1 9.8 owner?

man, i hardly think this is a speculation thread.

EDIT: i do love seeing who has which OA pages. nice to know where they are, although, I'm at a loss for my top ISO pages. sitting in some portfolio somewhere, I'm sure.

Edited by simplyrob