• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

I think Invincible's biggest problem is its success. SAGA is still only 20 issues or so. So is most everything else you guys are referring too at Image outselling Invincible. They're easy for new readers to catch up on. Buy one or two TPB's and you're good to go.

New readers are often intimidated by starting to read a new comic with 100+ issues to catch up on. The compendiums was a great idea. Making them as cheap as possible is key, so new readers have a way to join the series.

A true new jumping on point for new readers isn't a bad idea, but I hope the violence and action don't get sacrificed. New location with new enemies and storylines is fine. But Invincible has been firing on all cylinders recently and a new creative style in storytelling isn't necessary.

I couldn't disagree more. I think part of what I've always liked about Invincible is Kirkman isn't afraid to change the status quo. For example (spoilers):

In the first 20 or so issue Mark was in high school

Then for the next 20 or so issues Mark was in College

Then Mark was fighting in Space

Then he came back to a changed world and helped the dinosaur guy

Then he was sort of on the run

Then his Dad was in charge of the Viltrimites who were now on earth

The book has always been about huge status changes. It always falls back on the fact that we love Mark and his supporting cast. A good chunk of the supporting cast has been in space. Now he will be with them.

I picked up issue 118 at a store today since it was $.25 so I'll read it in a bit and weigh in more soon.

Edit: Yea I'm not seeing why everyone is so nervous about the direction change. It was a bit slower of an issue, but clearly stuff will spill into the book and Mark's new world order. I'm glad Kirkman is stepping up and letting them have a kid. It is like he is doing everything Marvel was afraid to with Spider-Man.

Edited by Official Chris S.

A true new jumping on point for new readers isn't a bad idea, but I hope the violence and action don't get sacrificed. New location with new enemies and storylines is fine. But Invincible has been firing on all cylinders recently and a new creative style in storytelling isn't necessary.

Wow. I think this sums up my thoughts exactly. Well put.

So I've been seeing out of my #1's and been selling back issues more often. Seems like there's a steady increase of fans and completionist.

man, I've kinda noticed it. any buzz for the book is good, lets hope it keeps up!

Invincible #1 in CGC 9.8 condition is still a $360-$400 if you look around. I was looking for a couple of months and picked one up for $365 last week.

For those thinking about getting one please don't listen to people promoting the book that also have some for sale. In the last couple of years we have seen a lot of people talking up issues that they consider a great investment and shortly after seeing these same people selling the same issue they were claiming was a great investment. If it's such a great investment why are they selling their copies?

If you are going to listen to someone listen to the guys who are claiming a comic is a great investment and are actually BUYING the comic. When I say buying I mean actually buying them. I'm not talking about claiming you are buying them and when someone contacts them they say they just purchased a bunch and are only looking for copies that are great deals.

These boards are supposed to be a community of comic collectors trying to help each other out. It's not supposed to be used as a way to pimp your comics by talking them up right before you sell them.

Invincible #1 in CGC 9.8 condition is still a $360-$400 if you look around. I was looking for a couple of months and picked one up for $365 last week.

For those thinking about getting one please don't listen to people promoting the book that also have some for sale. In the last couple of years we have seen a lot of people talking up issues that they consider a great investment and shortly after seeing these same people selling the same issue they were claiming was a great investment. If it's such a great investment why are they selling their copies?

If you are going to listen to someone listen to the guys who are claiming a comic is a great investment and are actually BUYING the comic. When I say buying I mean actually buying them. I'm not talking about claiming you are buying them and when someone contacts them they say they just purchased a bunch and are only looking for copies that are great deals.

These boards are supposed to be a community of comic collectors trying to help each other out. It's not supposed to be used as a way to pimp your comics by talking them up right before you sell them.

I agree with a lot of you sentiment, but where did you pick up a copy of Invincible 1 for under $400?

:frustrated:

I stopped looking because of the crazy prices. Where did you find one? In a shop or a con?

Wait a minute, I remember you - a year ago when I was first seeking an Invincible #1 9.8 , you PM'd me saying you had one for sell and asking what I was offering, then when I replied you said you'd sold it already for $350.

I knew your name looked familiar - odd coincidence considering the context!

Anyway, I'd still like to know where the book was found, pics or it didn't happen :)

hype hype hype! ahhhhhhhh!

Ha! No hype, I'm truly curious where the book was found, I'd like one at that price myself as I won't buy the book at the current price on eBay.

For the internet, "pics or it didn't happen" is fairly standard form, especially considering wherever it happened, GPA hasn't captured it as of the time of this writing.

Correct I did sell it. I needed cash and had to sell it. I eventually purchased another one. What's wrong with that. My only point in this thread is to be careful with people talking up books that are great investments. If they are selling the same book that's a potential problem.

Edited by raybowles

My only point in this thread is to be careful with people talking up books that are great investments. If they are selling the same book that's a potential problem.

No, that's advertising. Or capitalism. I'm fine with both.