• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

They have a plan in place that was formulated by looking at what is selling at Image the most at this point. People are buying more slice of life, funny, quirky books than just bombastic Super Hero fights. It's been 5 years that Walking Dead has been out and it's never helped Invincible's sales at all. Making a change and taking a chance with a new outlook is worth a try. With sales at the same amount as they were pre Walking Dead TV Show, a change probably isn't costing a large number of readers and can only really help.

Man, if Invincible goes slice of life/funny/quirky, I'm done. Like you said, plenty of other Image books doing that.

They have a plan in place that was formulated by looking at what is selling at Image the most at this point. People are buying more slice of life, funny, quirky books than just bombastic Super Hero fights. It's been 5 years that Walking Dead has been out and it's never helped Invincible's sales at all. Making a change and taking a chance with a new outlook is worth a try. With sales at the same amount as they were pre Walking Dead TV Show, a change probably isn't costing a large number of readers and can only really help.

Man, if Invincible goes slice of life/funny/quirky, I'm done. Like you said, plenty of other Image books doing that.

Invincible has always been a little quirky / funny / slice of life - not sure I follow?

To me, it always read like Dragonball Z meets SA Spider-man.

I interpreted other robs comment as being a shift from a straight-up superhero book into the latter.

I've always enjoyed Invincible as a superhero book with great characters. The writing/art has always been great, I guess I don't understand the change or the correlation to TWD show. I guess if we are talking about Kirkmans name being on both and that TWD show would bring Kirkman fans to trying Invincible, but, honestly, I'd guess a small fraction of viewers actually read the books, so, I'm missing it.

I'm not a Walking Dead fan myself, I don't watch the show or read the comic.

Invincible is fine the way it is, I don't think it needs changed to up it's numbers... he should continue it as a passion project and lean on the zombies to ensure that his dog's dog can afford it's own Hawaiian island.

Having said that... it is his to do with as he wishes, we're just along for the ride. But, like many of you, I'd probably be out if it changed a great deal.

I haven't read the new issue, but how has it changed a great deal? I'm not seeing it from the comments. It sounds like it is focusing more on Mark's life in his new world, right? How is that different? The book focused on Mark struggling as a teenager with powers. Then it transitioned a bit too him trying to save his world for a bit. Then it returned to Mark trying to survive in the new world order.

It has always been sort of funny and quirky. From the comments, I'm taking it a lot of you wanted to see more Viltrumite War type stuff?

The connection to TWD show is that as Walking Dead tripled in monthly comic sales since the show launched Invincible stayed the same, if not a slight dip. The Kirkman brand has grown exponentially but Invincible hasn't caught on beyond the die hard fans that it has always had for some reason.

118 and 119 are a taste of the new direction. 120 will be back to the Thragg/Beast fight. We will have to see who is still on board or who jumped on board after 121.

The connection to TWD show is that as Walking Dead tripled in monthly comic sales since the show launched Invincible stayed the same, if not a slight dip. The Kirkman brand has grown exponentially but Invincible hasn't caught on beyond the die hard fans that it has always had for some reason.

I promise, if an Invincible show/cartoon/movie/whatever was announced today, sales would blow up just like TWD. That's what all the cool kids are doing these days, comics just aren't enough anymore.

Are sales bad though? I thought the book maintained at respectable numbers for an indie title.

EDIT: Since early last year, the book has been around 12,000ish. It was at 18,000ish about 6 months ago. It is now back around 12,000ish.

Is there a worry it will be cancelled?

Edited by Official Chris S.

The book came up late last night and is already gone. I even put up a sales thread trying to raise funs knowing it'd probably be gone by the end of the day. Great price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invincible-1-CGC-9-8-/300950054618?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item46120566da

To give you an idea, I missed out on this book on 3/18/13… I wish I'd bought it then. When I started to see sales hit $500, I knew it was time to take the plunge and get a copy before it got totally out of reach.

It marks my most expensive modern in my collection and one of the only none Spidey slabs I own.

Are sales bad though? I thought the book maintained at respectable numbers for an indie title.

EDIT: Since early last year, the book has been around 12,000ish. It was at 18,000ish about 6 months ago. It is now back around 12,000ish.

Is there a worry it will be cancelled?

Zero worry that it will be cancelled, but why not try something new to get more people reading?

That's what I'm thinking. Exactly how many more issues need to be sold to make whomever happy each month?

Also, props on the 9.8, she's a beauty!

I promise, if an Invincible show/cartoon/movie/whatever was announced today, sales would blow up just like TWD. That's what all the cool kids are doing these days, comics just aren't enough anymore.

There is zero TV/Movie/Anything talk for Saga.

The book came up late last night and is already gone. I even put up a sales thread trying to raise funs knowing it'd probably be gone by the end of the day. Great price!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Invincible-1-CGC-9-8-/300950054618?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item46120566da

To give you an idea, I missed out on this book on 3/18/13… I wish I'd bought it then. When I started to see sales hit $500, I knew it was time to take the plunge and get a copy before it got totally out of reach.

It marks my most expensive modern in my collection and one of the only none Spidey slabs I own.

Congratulations, it's a beaut!

That's what I'm thinking. Exactly how many more issues need to be sold to make whomever happy each month?

Look at it as a business. If you had a property and you saw the market adapting to certain trends, why not take a chance to grow your business as opposed to being stagnant. It's not that they don't currently make anyone unhappy, it's just that any business goals should be for growth.

Look at it as a business. If you had a property and you saw the market adapting to certain trends, why not take a chance to grow your business as opposed to being stagnant. It's not that they don't currently make anyone unhappy, it's just that any business goals should be for growth.

There is an artistic side as well as a business side.

Look at it as diversification - as I said before, let Walking Dead rake in the big bucks while it is enjoying it's day in the sun. What is wrong with pursuing Invincible as a passion project? Even so, it certainly still has more than enough readers to be turning a tidy profit.

Does everything have to have every last bit of potential profit squeezed out of it? It is similar to saying every movie has to be Avatar. That sort of entertainment is fun, but I also like to sit down and watch Clerks or Reservoir Dogs every now and then as well.