• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars #1 variant sells for $12k

92 posts in this topic

One question: were these 30c and 35c versions dubbed "variants" from the get-go, or were they called variants after the whole variant-craze-one-million-different-cover era? Did the OS call them variants in 1980?

The first time I noticed was in OS 17 - the books I was interested in back were the X-Men 98-100 variants. From the sounds of the previous response, it may have happened at roughly the same time.

Probably because X-men were on fire back then... the comics market seemed to be "X-men driven"

R.

*** You are ignoring this user ***

Toggle the display of this post

(shrug)

Nice try. When you quote him the ignore feature doesn't work. Only the ignored person's original posts are on ignore.

I know that, which is why I had to cut and paste what I saw on my screen. (shrug)

Honestly? Some of these books truly are rare. No quotes needed. As I mentioned earlier, there are less Star Wars #1 35 Cent variants in the census than Batman #1s or Captain America Comics #1s and the Star Wars book is BY FAR the most plentiful of the 35 cent variants.

Anecdotally, I looked at every copy of Daredevil 148 for sale on ebay for over a year and looked at every copy I could find at shows and was never able to secure one. I also had some of the variant hunters here looking on my behalf and it still took that long to finally secure one. There really aren't a lot of them out there, and that's a superhero book. The Westerns? Forget about it.

One question: were these 30c and 35c versions dubbed "variants" from the get-go, or were they called variants after the whole variant-craze-one-million-different-cover era? Did the OS call them variants in 1980?

The term "variant" as it applies to comic books started well before the 90's stupidity (remember The Adventurer's Skeleton Variant?), but to answer your question specifically, yes, the 30 and 35-cent books were referred to as both "Editions" and "Variants", depending on who you were speaking to.

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center.

Please point me in the direction of this mass-influx of 35-cent variants. :wishluck:

They seem to be for sale everywhere, Pedigree, Comiclink, all over EBay. I love these variants but I'm used to Gerber 7+ GA books being called "rare".

There are a lot of variants for sale, but they're all the same titles/issues. It is easier to find a copy of a Gerber 8, 9, or even a 10 (in some cases) than it will be to find a Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant - in any grade.

OK, I've kept the Question on ignore since our last falling out but I can see what's going on here from JC's posts.

How the frig can a comic differ in physical form? Sizes are pretty much standard.

Are you talking about content, because that is somthing completely different?

If you are talking content then these comics are different as the asking price is different.

Obviously at least one person has such a dear attachment to this comic that they thought it was a very valuable book. I remember being shocked in the early 80's at how the price spiked on this book.

This is as far away from a manufactured variant as you can get. It is a sleeper variant that manufacturers did not realize would become a collectible.

R.

zzz If you can't conceptualize how a comic book can have differentiating physical forms, then I can't/won't, help you :makepoint:

Now, you had me on ignore (*cough* *cough*) but just happen to chime in here huh? Let's just get back to the regular scheduled program..and PUT ME BACK ON IF THAT'S THE CASE! :gossip:

I'd truly rather not read from the CGC board, president of the Hitler fan club... ciao :hi:

Stay classy, bro.

I'd like to hear your explanation as to why this is a "manufactured variant," seeing as the intent was not to make a more collectible copy of a popular title, but rather to gauge consumer resistance to a 16% price increase

Well, what I meant was... I understand these books were not "manufactured" by MARVEL as a "variant" to profit from them, but rather (IMO) by the DEALER/collector market. I realize the market dictates collectibilty to a large degree, but as I mentioned in prior posts, THESE books were intentional low prints by design. Not because they were different, or desired by their (purposeful) rarity, but because they were simply not important, just test books for the impending price increase.

Lets face it, the books are factually EXACTLY the same as the 30 centers, they just have 35 cents on the cover instead (shrug) The cover, the art, the story, the size, the paper, ect...ect.. is no different, just that little 35 cent stamp. The fact the back issue collector market grew to deem this "rare' and collectible is fine, but is it truly? Are there even that many "key" or lineage type specific # books that even matter?

Look, no need to continue on it, I just have an opinion of them, and that's it. I can appreciate that other collectors like them, buy them, whatever...I just don't think they merit the prices they garner because the book had "35 cents" on the cover hm

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center.

Please point me in the direction of this mass-influx of 35-cent variants. :wishluck:

They seem to be for sale everywhere, Pedigree, Comiclink, all over EBay. I love these variants but I'm used to Gerber 7+ GA books being called "rare".

There are a lot of variants for sale, but they're all the same titles/issues. It is easier to find a copy of a Gerber 8, 9, or even a 10 (in some cases) than it will be to find a Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant - in any grade.

Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant is my new Grail actually since I finally secured my Blood is the Harvest comic :cloud9:

I think what's happened is the term "variant" has been appropriated by the industry in a way that cheapens the word. This happened in the late 90s and continues today, to the point where publishers will actually put the word "variant" on the cover, which in turn turns off just as many collectors as it excites...if not more.

Variant and Collectible are not the same thing.

But like you said, no need to continue on it, just wanted to say my piece

FD I agree but I was speaking in general terms and just my observation on these as a whole.

fo the life of me I do not understand how a book like this sells for so much. I know "to each his own" and all that, but the price seems just insane to me. For 12K you could get a Batman 1, Action Comics 2, Detective 31... the list just goes on. Is this book even that rare? How many copie are in the census?

Put a high grade SW #1-4 variant set together...it'll probably take you the rest of your life if at all. You could definitely put a run of Tec #27-37 probably quicker...heck that whole run was on the boards two months ago :)

Star Wars would most likely be the most successful movie franchise of all time, and is probably as well known in the world as Batman the character is. Just because it isn't from 1939, and is from 1977 doesn't make it any less scarce, in demand, desirable or of less importance. I'm pretty sure that Star Wars #1 was reprinted more times than Batman #1 was as well. :)

Jim

Sal, not directed at you but more to those that complain about prices that books sell for. The population of collectors as an entity determines what is and is not collectible, right?

So there is only one reason a Batman #1 is worth multiple of guide and a Fox or Fawcett key is not. Demand. Demand can be for whatever the group finds to be desirable. Some people collect first editions. Some people collect errors. Some people collect price variants.

For anyone to call a huge price tag on a comic insane simply because supply outstrips demand is just nuts.

There are obviously people who want this badly. Why do they want it badly? Why does anyone care. They just do. Imagine if by some strange stroke Batman became the least popular character on the planet and Batman #1 or Tec #27 prices started to drop like flies? Would we call people crazy because they started throwing away their key GA DC books? Why should a book be valuable? Becaue someone else is willing to value it at the same price?

We are mostly a programmed society that rarely thinks outside the box.

The people who blow huge wads of cash for books that make us go :screwy: are often people who love those things at any cost. Here's to people like that who have the gonads to dish it out for what they want.

They help make this world go round.

(thumbs u

fo the life of me I do not understand how a book like this sells for so much. I know "to each his own" and all that, but the price seems just insane to me. For 12K you could get a Batman 1, Action Comics 2, Detective 31... the list just goes on. Is this book even that rare? How many copie are in the census?

Put a high grade SW #1-4 variant set together...it'll probably take you the rest of your life if at all. You could definitely put a run of Tec #27-37 probably quicker...heck that whole run was on the boards two months ago :)

Star Wars would most likely be the most successful movie franchise of all time, and is probably as well known in the world as Batman the character is. Just because it isn't from 1939, and is from 1977 doesn't make it any less scarce, in demand, desirable or of less importance. I'm pretty sure that Star Wars #1 was reprinted more times than Batman #1 was as well. :)

Jim

Was wondering when you were going to chime in.

For those that don't know, Jim is one of the countries foremost Star Wars collectors and likely more knowledgable about Star Wars collectibles than any other 2 or 3 other people out there put together.

R.

35 centers..... With all the variants I've seen and found, I would rank the Star Wars books as somewhat "less scarce" than there counterparts. These are probably the only title that caters to two different collectors (Comic guys & Star Wars guys).

To the best of my knowledge (and cosmic can correct me) the kid colt 218 is the rarest one (only 1 copy known to exist) Could have changed by now as I don't keep track anymore.

You go back less than 6 years and 50 of the books hadn't even been discovered yet. There are probably less than 100 people who even care about 35 centers (with exception of Star Wars, Amazing, and X-Men) which is why they are not worth more.

A decent copy of just about anything sold for $75-$150 raw in 2003. Now those same books go for 1/2 that or lower.

I read somewher that the estimated print run of the SW varianrt was no more than 1000 Donut or JC could probably confirm the estimate.

I believe the SW 1 variant has the highest print run of all the 35 cent variants, but I'm not entirely sure. Still under 1500. ShieldAgent would know better than I do.

I'm not sure about the print run. All I know is one of my worst comic-related decisions involved a stack of 50-75 NM variant copies of SW1. A dealer at a Creation Con in NY, circa 79/80 had this stack and equally tall one of Strange Tales 178, 50 cents a copy. I bought about 10 copies of the 178, none of the SW1. Little did I know I'd end up collecting price variants 20 years later.

I read somewher that the estimated print run of the SW varianrt was no more than 1000 Donut or JC could probably confirm the estimate.

I believe the SW 1 variant has the highest print run of all the 35 cent variants, but I'm not entirely sure. Still under 1500. ShieldAgent would know better than I do.

I'm not sure about the print run. All I know is one of my worst comic-related decisions involved a stack of 50-75 NM variant copies of SW1. A dealer at a Creation Con in NY, circa 79/80 had this stack and equally tall one of Strange Tales 178, 50 cents a copy. I bought about 10 copies of the 178, none of the SW1. Little did I know I'd end up collecting price variants 20 years later.

Thats tuff!!

I have made some bad comic decisions over the years, but not like that!!

Well you know what they say about hindsight....

35 centers..... With all the variants I've seen and found, I would rank the Star Wars books as somewhat "less scarce" than there counterparts. These are probably the only title that caters to two different collectors (Comic guys & Star Wars guys).

To the best of my knowledge (and cosmic can correct me) the kid colt 218 is the rarest one (only 1 copy known to exist) Could have changed by now as I don't keep track anymore.

You go back less than 6 years and 50 of the books hadn't even been discovered yet. There are probably less than 100 people who even care about 35 centers (with exception of Star Wars, Amazing, and X-Men) which is why they are not worth more.

A decent copy of just about anything sold for $75-$150 raw in 2003. Now those same books go for 1/2 that or lower.

I still see true VF+ or better go for $50 - $100 on the bay. At least last time I checked a few months ago?

I sold a nice raw VF/NM Red Sonja # 5 for almost $100 myself earlier this year.