• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's comic was that way back when?

78 posts in this topic

In the "Show us your Ducks" thread, there is a recent cover that has the signature "Eddie Harris" and the date "March 1945" written on the top.

We all have those comics in our collections - you know, the ones where someone has written their name on it. Why not? They LOVED their comic and didn't want some dirty rat stealing it!

Personally, I like these covers (as long as the name doesn't obliterate the art!). Somehow they seem more "real" - as if someone actually enjoyed the book and it mattered to them - 60+ years ago!

- I also collect used stamps :) Again, I like a clear, readable cancellation where you can still see the stamp, but shows that it actually "did it's job".

Show us your "pre-owned" books! (I'll dig some of mine out after work)

Awesome! Great covers. The CGC Detective is a great example of what I am talking about when I say that names don't bother me at all.

The other two..... well.... they certainly were well loved :)

I wonder if at some point we'll "reunite" any old comics in this thread. I know I'll be checking all my EC books for Williams stamp!

It isn't hand written, but William Callihan REALLY wanted everyone to know that this was his comic book! And that it was issue #17!

crimess-17.jpg

I like the idea for this thread and agree it would be cool to see if any of these matchup for names and/or written dates.

I love EC's, but suicide covers complete with flying brain matter?

:o

It isn't hand written, but William Callihan REALLY wanted everyone to know that this was his comic book! And that it was issue #17!

crimess-17.jpg

I like the idea for this thread and agree it would be cool to see if any of these matchup for names and/or written dates.

I love EC's, but suicide covers complete with flying brain matter?

:o

2250002564_6f8c47c981_b.jpg

2234165716_c91622ca17_b.jpg

Sonny liked to write his name on comics until he got a stamp set for Christmas.

bb

2885348871_f11d8c1656_b.jpg

Sonny (George W.) Hainley liked to write his name on comics until he got a stamp set for Christmas.

bb

2477961311_c4b310edae_o.jpg

C.M. Gillis liked to use his name stamp. Cap liked a machine gun and Bucky used a flame thrower. Ouch!

I guess they were going to blow up themselves with that TNT and the bridge. I bought the book from a Heritage auction I think.

bb

P.S. That is a Harley he was riding by the way.

I like the idea of knowing who owned them as well. I bought a copy of Police Comics #1 with "Harold" on it, and posted here and found out who he was.

Link to Harold thread here .

My beloved Harold Giehne (different Harold) Four Colors are also on that thread:

1527943-FC20copy.jpg

1527943-FC26.jpg

Jack