• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

is it possible that someday Copper books will be worth more then GA or SA books?

if what some people say happens, that eventually comic collecting will have a major crash because essentially there won’t be anyone left that grew up collecting comic.

then is it fair to say that one day all the GA collector will be long gone while the kids that grew up during the CA will be at the fore front of the hobby?

Not likely.

While the demand for Silver, Bronze and Copper Age books is growing and continues to grow, the demand for Golden-Age is such that even if it stayed the same or dropped the supply is far more limited.

At any given time, there are FAR more SA+ books on the market and in liquidity than the GA books. The biggest threat to GA is that more books are getting into the hands of collectors that will hold them for 10-20 years. This means that some folks will get frustrated when they can't complete runs.

There are actually many people with multiples of Key SA+ books, but very few have more than one copy of GA Keys.

While the thoughts here tend towards 9.0 and better books in the SA+ market, that is pretty much an impossible goal for the GA market. Putting together a 5.0 run of Batman 1-100 will always be more difficult and challenging than a 1-100 ASM 5.0 run (which you can probably buy in one-shot from some of the bigger dealers).

So yes. The market for GA may stay the same or even shrink a little. Yes. The market for SA+ will probably grow a little, but "no"- I don't think SA+ will over-value GA books.

(okay...one caveat. I think the "super keys" of the SA will soon be in the top 10 books of all time - so an AF15 will be worth more than say... a PEP 22. Of course, you'll actually be able to FIND an AF15 - just try finding a PEP 22 - I dare you! I DOUBLE dare ya!)

If you match an Action 1 in 9.6 vs AF15 in 9.6 vs any copper in 9.6; I would say the hands on winner will still be the Action 1.

Good point. It's pretty hard to compare fairly because there are so few high-grade GA books to use as examples.

What always amazes me as a collector is when I see something like an Ultimate Spider-man White cover in 9.6 selling for $850+ You can buy two Batman books under issue 25 in 5.0 for that much money (about $400-$500 each for something from issue #10-25 or so).

Oh well. Who knows what the future holds. I'll just keep my comics and never have to worry about it.

if what some people say happens, that eventually comic collecting will have a major crash because essentially there won’t be anyone left that grew up collecting comic.

then is it fair to say that one day all the GA collector will be long gone while the kids that grew up during the CA will be at the fore front of the hobby?

I don't think this is true. Look at me (and I certainly don't think I'm unique in this way)... I'm 28 and am very into GA, and only getting more into it. I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time. Who knows, I might get into platinum age stuff some day.

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

Again with the generalities. lol

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

Again with the generalities. lol

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

Well, maybe not everyone who's into comics has to appreciate GA, but there will always be some, if not many.

Not only that but somebody who finds a copy of Batman # 350.....and who is a number guy.....is gonna think....."wow....there are 349 issues of this book that came before this one.....and I've never read em. PLUS.....overstreet will keep coming out.....and that is the comic dreamers paradise.