• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm really concerned about the growing number of CA collectors and the need to convert them to GA using a bizarre method of nerd peer pressure.

I'm not saying YOU do it personally, but are you actually saying it doesn't happen? :screwy:

I see it whenever I browse the GA forums, GA fogeys desperately trying to convert the young'uns that their BA and CA is worthless and common, and that they should really be buying GA.

I know alot of GA collectors, including myself just like to share the books we enjoy collecting. If that means it broadens some non GA collectors scope or inspires them to go out and buy a GA book then great. If not, that's ok too.

Why must you link our motives to something sinister or negative. Talk about generalizing. And poorly at that.

Oh, that's right. Because you're an individual_without_enough_empathy.

PS: Why are you browsing the GA forums anyway? We're nothing about a bunch of geezers trying to twist your arm into buying old, moldy books.

I wasn't commenting on his comment. I was commenting on yours. You said....

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

You may never develop an interest in GA books. Fine, that's fair. You know you. However, you don't know others.

I once shared your opinion. Hell, at one time I wouldn't have even looked at SA books.

However, over time I developed an appreciation for both SA and GA books.

Will it happen to all BA, CA, and MA collectors? No, of course not. Will it happen to some? Absolutley.

well, putting aside from six and seven figure keys, there's plenty of GA out there in lower grades that is as "easy" to find as SA (or some BA) in 9.8, 9.6, etc.

no, CA isn't going to overtake GA because the characters often overlap and a certain % of people who enjoy comics are going to enjoy prior generations of comics. just like a baseball fan/collector who grew up in the 70's can certainly appreciate and collect DiMaggio, Williams, Ruth, etc. material.

i tend to collect virtually anything, most of which I didn't even grow up reading given that I was 98% a marvel zombie then. I'm not collecting GA right now unless i come across an oddball issue super cheap (well, I guess this sometimes happens with some 50's books). it's not that i'm not spending money, i guess right now i prefer to spread out my purhases so the $300 GA (or SA book) isn't happening. yesterday I picked up 20 SA and very early BA Gold Keys, Whitmans, Charltons, Dells, DCs and Marvels cartoon/kids type books for $15. Some of the stuff I had never really even come across (other than some scans here) Like L'il Pals, Liil Kids with Calvin and some other oddball stuff. Other than maybe a Duck book (which I might read to my kid) it's not something I'd read per se, but it's fun to pick up stuff I haven't seen before. Honestly, before a couple of years ago I did not even know that Marvel had those kids titles in the early 70's and I've been rummaging through boxes of comics a long time. No copies for sale on ebay either right now.

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

Again with the generalities. lol

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

Following a generality with another generality, eh? ;)

To be fair, you are correct in that some will never be interested in GA books. However, some will develop an appreciation for them. We've seen it happen on these very boards. So anything is possible.

No, I am not "following a generality with another". Please reread his comment:

"if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them"

That's an absolute statement, and an incorrect one, since I and many others have absolutely no interest in collecting or reading GA to figure out what Joe Palooka or the Green Lama was up to. lol

JC you are right there, GA will only narrow at this point, and the big books will only get bigger.

And based of breadth, and number of collectors actively involved CA will win.

Simply for several reasons;

1, it's a affordable to so many more collectors. I would personally love to get into GA, but find it price restrictive given my HG goals (even translated into GA terms).

2, the books simply aren't there to, hence why GA keys are getting great money for half a loose cover doh!

3. Ca has wider media exposure to date. From cartoons', to movie's, CA has had a bigger piece of the exposure cake.

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

To be fair, you are correct in that some will never be interested in GA books. However, some will develop an appreciation for them. We've seen it happen on these very boards. So anything is possible.

"if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them"

That's an absolute statement, and an incorrect one, since I and many others have absolutely no interest in collecting or reading GA to figure out what Joe Palooka or the Green Lama was up to. lol

JC you are right there, GA will only narrow at this point, and the big books will only get bigger.

1, it's a affordable to so many more collectors. I would personally love to get into GA, but find it price restrictive given my HG goals (even translated into GA terms).

2, the books simply aren't there to, hence why GA keys are getting great money for half a loose cover doh!

3. Ca has wider media exposure to date. From cartoons', to movie's, CA has had a bigger piece of the exposure cake.

How does that address the question the OP posed?

Are there more CA collectors than GA collectors? I don't know. Probably. Will there be more of them in the future? Will they vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years? Probably? But so what. Is this a contest or something?

The OP asked if they would be "worth more" than GA books. My guess is a big, phat, emphatic NO!

That's an absolute statement, and an incorrect one, since I and many others have absolutely no interest in collecting or reading GA to figure out what Joe Palooka or the Green Lama was up to.

Hey, they brought Green Lama back (and it's now in the overstock box).

With that said, Joe, really, as a Marvel collector you seriously absolutely have no interest whatsoever in an old Timely like Captain America or Submariner which ties into characters/books you grew up reading? Heck, I read enough of the GA reprints in back-up stories on various annuals/reprint books that those old stories were part of my childhood, just like abbot & costello, even though they came out 30+ years earlier.

Yeah, I'm really concerned about the growing number of CA collectors and the need to convert them to GA using a bizarre method of nerd peer pressure.

I'm not saying YOU do it personally, but are you actually saying it doesn't happen? :screwy:

I see it whenever I browse the GA forums, GA fogeys desperately trying to convert the young'uns that their BA and CA is worthless and common, and that they should really be buying GA.

mess, either I'm an old fogey or have been peer pressured into collecting GA books. Damned either way I suppose...of course I'm only 31 soooooooo :cry:

Don't worry Vaughn, I too am only 31. There's plenty of time for us to get our heads on straight and move to collecting CA. After all those books aren't all moldy like ours.

Yes, I'm saying it rarely happens. Your statement implies that people who rave about GA do so out of fear their books are going to lose value. You might note the several GA collectors on this board who collect primarily LG stuff into which they have very little to begin with.

Most people into GA are collectors first so are more concerned about acquiring rather than selling.

Most people into GA, if they are concerned about their books retaining value in case of the need to sell, are comforted by the supply:demand ratio, and the fact that the number of GA collectors is already so low that it is much more likely the # of GA buyers will increase rather than decrease.

As Roy intimated, most people in GA are in to the inherent qualities of GA that are distinct and will continue to be a major reason GA will have a sustained appeal.

The GA holders who are actually worried about the prospect of dwindling GA buyers out there? Maybe DTA and... I really can't think of anyone else.

It's somewhat ironic that YOU would be dissing GA when most of those into GA collect for what you've repeatedly said are the "right" reasons to buy comics. And it's perhaps the majority of CA collectors who have the collecting (i.e., speculating) mentality you profess to abhor.

Finally, I will say that there are lot of quality CA books that were published, and I totally understand the appeal of collecting CA. But let's get serious. For 99% of the CA books published, the supply will forever exceed the demand, meaning that for most CA books to sell for much it will require that sellers continue to blow smoke up peoples arses to obscure the actual supply:demand ratio. Or continue to insist that a 9.6 or 9.8 CA book is something you need because it is relatively rare and worth 5-10X a 9.4. These are the books that are headed for a collapse and I can't imagine the growth of CA collectors will impact this.

Are you really saying that owning these issues does not appeal to you at all? Are you really saying that you have no interest in knowing whether or not Tom-Tom is actually Tarzan as a boy, and what became of him when he grew up? Are you saying that you wouldn't like to know just how and whom Stuntman and Sparkman fought their opponents? Could you not support the thought that The Atomic Thunderbolt could easily be revived and become an Avenger today? Blaspheme, I tell you,....... blaspheme!

stuntman1front.jpg

sparkmancomics1front.jpg

atomicthunderbolt1front.jpg

tomtom1front.jpg

Are there more CA collectors than GA collectors? I don't know. Probably. Will there be more of them in the future? Will they vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years? Probably? But so what. Is this a contest or something?

The OP asked if they would be "worth more" than GA books. My guess is a big, phat, emphatic NO!

not a contest, but that is the whole point. if CA collectors vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years then how rare will the GA books be. fewer GA collectors means more GA books available equaling lower prices for GA books.

possibly

I think in total $$ terms yes, on an individual book basis, it would a brave man to say yes again. But I highly doubt it.

Right now it would be the inherent social value of Batman or Superman vs TMNT. And while TMNT was a world wide phenomenon, so has Batman & Superman for the last 30 years, and only getting stronger.

Total collectors, CA will trump GA

Total $$ spent, CA will trump GA...at some point in the future.

Total collectors, CA will trump GA

Total $$ spent, CA will trump GA...at some point in the future.

sorry, but I probably did most of my comic buying as a kid/pre-teen in the copper age and it's not an area I'm all that interested in. For one, I have most of the books already, probably in triplicate. The # of CA collectors will be (is) more because the comics are cheap, so a much broader range of people can collect the.

As for total $ spent --- one half decent GA book can sell for what an entire CA collection might. Just too much CA for other than a few keys not to remain relatively inexpensive in the long run.

Are you really saying that owning these issues does not appeal to you at all? Are you really saying that you have no interest in knowing whether or not Tom-Tom is actually Tarzan as a boy, and what became of him when he grew up? Are you saying that you wouldn't like to know just how and whom Stuntman and Sparkman fought their opponents? Could you not support the thought that The Atomic Thunderbolt could easily be revived and become an Avenger today? Blaspheme, I tell you,....... blaspheme!

Yeah, in a nutshell.

hello all...

I didn't read the first 8 pages (sorry), but my take is...

it is really all just a matter of supply and demand... GA will always, across the board, be worth "more" than CA... simple economics... more folks will collect copper, I suspect, but statistically impossible that the "best" CA book will overtake the "best" GA book (IMO)