• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will CA ever trump GA?

236 posts in this topic

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

Again with the generalities. lol

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

Following a generality with another generality, eh? ;)

To be fair, you are correct in that some will never be interested in GA books. However, some will develop an appreciation for them. We've seen it happen on these very boards. So anything is possible.

No, I am not "following a generality with another". Please reread his comment:

"if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them"

That's an absolute statement, and an incorrect one, since I and many others have absolutely no interest in collecting or reading GA to figure out what Joe Palooka or the Green Lama was up to. lol

JC you are right there, GA will only narrow at this point, and the big books will only get bigger.

And based of breadth, and number of collectors actively involved CA will win.

Simply for several reasons;

1, it's a affordable to so many more collectors. I would personally love to get into GA, but find it price restrictive given my HG goals (even translated into GA terms).

2, the books simply aren't there to, hence why GA keys are getting great money for half a loose cover doh!

3. Ca has wider media exposure to date. From cartoons', to movie's, CA has had a bigger piece of the exposure cake.

How does that address the question the OP posed?

Are there more CA collectors than GA collectors? I don't know. Probably. Will there be more of them in the future? Will they vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years? Probably? But so what. Is this a contest or something?

The OP asked if they would be "worth more" than GA books. My guess is a big, phat, emphatic NO!

not a contest, but that is the whole point. if CA collectors vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years then how rare will the GA books be. fewer GA collectors means more GA books available equaling lower prices for GA books.

possibly

Sure, its a possibility.

But I doubt there are hoards of GA collectors sitting on so many copies of the same desirable books, especially in grade, that when we kick the bucket the market will suddenly see a huge influx in supply, enough so to change the entire supply/demand structure.

As GA collectors get out of the hobby for whatever reason, father time is going to claim some of those books as well. He always does.

In the future, I don't see stacks of HG Timely's and other desirable books flooding the market when the GA fogey exodus happens. In 20 years, I doubt you're going to be able to hoverboard into your LCS and bypass a bunch of high grade Catman comics in a long box for $50 bucks a piece and head for the glass case where all the high dollar, 9.8 copper is safely tucked away.

I think if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them and end up appreciating stuff that was way before your time.

Again with the generalities. lol

There are lots of BA, CA and MA collectors, including many on here, who have absolutely no interest in GA comics and never will have any interest in GA comics. I know I'll never buy one and I love comics.

Following a generality with another generality, eh? ;)

To be fair, you are correct in that some will never be interested in GA books. However, some will develop an appreciation for them. We've seen it happen on these very boards. So anything is possible.

No, I am not "following a generality with another". Please reread his comment:

"if you are a fan of comic books, you're always going to want to dig into the history of them"

That's an absolute statement, and an incorrect one, since I and many others have absolutely no interest in collecting or reading GA to figure out what Joe Palooka or the Green Lama was up to. lol

JC you are right there, GA will only narrow at this point, and the big books will only get bigger.

And based of breadth, and number of collectors actively involved CA will win.

Simply for several reasons;

1, it's a affordable to so many more collectors. I would personally love to get into GA, but find it price restrictive given my HG goals (even translated into GA terms).

2, the books simply aren't there to, hence why GA keys are getting great money for half a loose cover doh!

3. Ca has wider media exposure to date. From cartoons', to movie's, CA has had a bigger piece of the exposure cake.

How does that address the question the OP posed?

Are there more CA collectors than GA collectors? I don't know. Probably. Will there be more of them in the future? Will they vastly outnumber GA collectors in 20 years? Probably? But so what. Is this a contest or something?

The OP asked if they would be "worth more" than GA books. My guess is a big, phat, emphatic NO!

I think in total $$ terms yes, on an individual book basis, it would a brave man to say yes again. But I highly doubt it.

Right now it would be the inherent social value of Batman or Superman vs TMNT. And while TMNT was a world wide phenomenon, so has Batman & Superman for the last 30 years, and only getting stronger.

Total collectors, CA will trump GA

Total $$ spent, CA will trump GA...at some point in the future.

You're probably right. However, saying that total money spent on CA will at some point be more than total money spent on GA doesn't necessarily tie into any value.

There's probably more money spent by people buying Ford Escapes than there is people buying 575 Maranello's. Which is more valuable?

The Copper Age was an interesting period for comics because it was an era in which the mainstream was more ambitious and had higher aspirations for the medium than at nearly any other time. I certainly look fondly back at the comics I read and bought during those days, especially all those dark, gritty, and ironic stories, many of which were non-super-hero and were attempting to eschew conventions.

That said, the era itself doesn't have as strong an identity for comic aficionados (except for those who grew up in it) as the GA. It was an interesting point in comics' development, but what iconic milestones were there, apart from The Watchmen, DKR and maybe err, TMNT?

And it's not as if GA is inaccessible. There are so many reprints out there of characters who are actually slightly more significant than the Green Lama, and the paper they're printed on isn't even mouldy. Some readers may even enjoy the reprints and decide that GA is for them, despite the unbelievably ludicrous expense of purchasing a GA book.

I'm not saying GA is better than CA, nor will there be less CA collectors than GA. I do think that plenty of GA will retain it's value and that value will always exceed that of CA, which is plentiful and cheap.

To write GA off as the province of deluded fogies clinging onto old newsprint is ludicrous. Too much history, too many icons, too many great artists, and many, many great stories. The GA came along at a crucial point in American history and will always be significant as Americana.

The Copper Age was an interesting period for comics because it was an era in which the mainstream was more ambitious and had higher aspirations for the medium than at nearly any other time. I certainly look fondly back at the comics I read and bought during those days, especially all those dark, gritty, and ironic stories, many of which were non-super-hero and were attempting to eschew conventions.

That said, the era itself doesn't have as strong an identity for comic aficionados (except for those who grew up in it) as the GA. It was an interesting point in comics' development, but what iconic milestones were there, apart from The Watchmen and DKR?

And it's not as if GA is inaccessible. There are so many reprints out there of characters who are actually slightly more significant than the Green Lama, and the paper they're printed on isn't even mouldy. Some readers may even enjoy the reprints and decide that GA is for them, despite the unbelievably ludicrous expense of purchasing a GA book.

I'm not saying GA is better than CA, nor will there be less CA collectors than GA. I do think that plenty of GA will retain it's value and that value will exceed that of CA.

To write GA off as the province of deluded fogies clinging onto old newsprint is ludicrous. Too much history, too many icons, too many great artists, and many, many great stories. The GA came along at a crucial point in American history and will always be significant as Americana.

:applause:

Hey Andy,

This came back a couple months ago. Thanks again! Ahh...sweet, GA, GGA!

comics001.jpg

That said, the era itself doesn't have as strong an identity for comic aficionados (except for those who grew up in it) as the GA. It was an interesting point in comics' development, but what iconic milestones were there, apart from The Watchmen and DKR?

I'm not saying GA is better than CA, nor will there be less CA collectors than GA. I do think that plenty of GA will retain it's value and that value will exceed that of CA.

:applause:

Hey Andy,

This came back a couple months ago. Thanks again! Ahh...sweet, GA, GGA!

comics001.jpg

As I graded it. :acclaim:

Great book, that one. (thumbs u

Pont, I used the think the same way.

Besides the obvious Kirby reference there are just too many other terrific writers and artists to condem GA creators.

Matt Baker could draw women like nobody else ever will (I think he was the first black artist as well). They weren't proportioned like todays Power Girl plastic filled Vegas show girls.They were beautiful.

Check out the fluid lines and action of Lou Fine and Will Eisner.

Check out the simple perfection of Mac Raboy.

The all out action covers of Alex Schomburg...especially his stuff pre 1942.

There were writers that were on the same level in the 40's as Frank Miller was in teh 80's

There were artists that were on the same level in the 40's as guys like Byrne and Perez.

Some top notch stuff there.

With that said, Joe, really, as a Marvel collector you seriously absolutely have no interest whatsoever in an old Timely like Captain America or Submariner which ties into characters/books you grew up reading?

Nope, and I read quite a few GA from my Dad's books when I was a kid. I also read an absolute ton of SA reprints when I was younger, but when I looked back, I chose to go after these :cloud9: instead of the originals:

66046.jpg.c03eb0d3058c6bb53ca2a497663c5805.jpg

66047.jpg.790a4b6341151001f71ad05000eb0ed3.jpg

Besides the obvious Kirby reference there are just too many other terrific writers and artists to condem GA creators.

Matt Baker could draw women like nobody else ever will (I think he was the first black artist as well). They weren't proportioned like todays Power Girl plastic filled Vegas show girls.They were beautiful.

There were writers that were on the same level in the 40's as Frank Miller was in teh 80's

There were artists that were on the same level in the 40's as guys like Byrne and Perez.

what writers in the 40s were there that rivaled Frank Miller? Or hell even david michilene

Raboy, Schomburg, Eisner, Baker, are all good examples of good artists. Still overall, I think most of the GA pretty much stunk artistically and does not hold up today (unlike most SA and BA stuff).

SWEET "Jumbo". Colors pop!

Since us old fogeys are just number 2, I thought I would share a few of those that might be more accepted. Are these more "acceptable", instead of those hokey ones? I can not deny the beauty that certain CA 9.8's possess, but I have to say. When it comes to having something that few if any others have (isn't that what life is all about, having what others desire, car, home, woman, bank account, etc, etc?), GA and yes, even Platinum Age, are the "bomb". I have nice books from all ages, and enjoy them all, for the same and for different reasons. You can have a set of Wolverine: Origin in CGC 9.8's with white pages, and you have a nice set. But they will NEVER be as valuable as a ragged old Action #11, or whatever. You get the idea. Like everyone always says, collect what you like. Invest in what you like. Eat what ice cream you like. Chocolate, vanilla or strawberry.

greenhornet2front.jpg

showcase2front.jpg

futureworld2front.jpg

what writers in the 40s were there that rivaled Frank Miller? Or hell even david michilene

Raboy, Schomburg, Eisner, Baker, are all good examples of good artists. Still overall, I think most of the GA pretty much stunk artistically and does not hold up today (unlike most SA and BA stuff).

I think most art stinks from all periods. There's some good ones from every era and then there's alot of krap.

I think most art stinks from all periods. There's some good ones from every era and then there's alot of krap.

I generally agree... except for the 70s... which I think was the best period artistically ever in comics. Even then there were some real duds like Herb Trimpe and Frank Robbins and others... but overall, I always think of the 70s as producing some of the best and most creative.

When it comes to having something that few if any others have (isn't that what life is all about

If you think "that's what life is about" then I assume your kids are all physically perfect and presidents of companies and countries, right? Otherwise, they'd all be total failures and likely given up for adoption. And I can only assume you own the rarest, limited edition Bentley, otherwise, why own a car?

To me, life is about finding what you want to do and doing it, and finding happiness through those pursuits, not through what others think. I collect BA, and I could give a rat's hass what any GA fogey thinks of it. Call them "common junk" as many of you do, and I'll just smile and feel sorry for you and your "sheep follower" mentality.

If you live your life through others, as you obviously do, that must be one :censored: -up way of going through the years.

So Nik is now in the GA fold eh? First ECs and now Jumbo?

Excellent! *puts finger together like Monty Burns*

Take it easy now. ;)

I will go after the occasional EC book but the Jumbo was sent to me strictly for the grading contest, nothing more.

When it comes to having something that few if any others have (isn't that what life is all about

If you think "that's what life is about" then I assume your kids are all physically perfect and presidents of companies and countries, right? Otherwise, they'd all be total failures and likely given up for adoption. And I can only assume you own the rarest, limited edition Bentley, otherwise, why own a car?

To me, life is about finding what you want to do and doing it, and finding happiness through those pursuits, not through what others think. I collect BA, and I could give a rat's hass what any GA fogey thinks of it. Call them "common junk" as many of you do, and I'll just smile and feel sorry for you and your "sheep follower" mentality.

If you live your life through others, as you obviously do, that must be one :censored: -up way of going through the years.

Amazing. That's the way I feel about you when you reference Modern comics. :golfclap:

:golfclap:

Amazing. That's the way I feel about you when you reference Modern comics. :golfclap:

I don't usually hammer on collecting CGC or raw Moderns back issues, only paying the current insane cover prices. Very little to do with the books, and everything to do with the rampant price-gouging from Marvel and DC.