• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to crack out a slab?

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am sure this has been talked about before, but could not find a thread by doing a search. I have 2 PGX books ( i know i know, sue me), but I would like to crack these babies out. The books are Timely's so I would like to be as careful as possible. What is the best way to crack a book out of a slab? Is it different cracking a book out of a PGX than a CGC holder?

I have heard too many horror stories of people fuggin up their books by cracking them out of their holders. Any advice would be great.

If there has been a thread in the past, please send a link, and sorry for posting again. Also, if this is the wrong forum for this post, please let me know.

lol, yeah there has been a thread or three about this topic. (:

Basically you need to pry apart the outer clamshell, some use a screwdriver, others a spatula, others their thumbnail to pop, or pry apart 2 or all 4 corners to slide out the "innerwell that contains the comic" Most start in the middle of a side edge where it is kinda open and work down to the bottom corner, and the same on the other side, this opens the entire bottom of the slab.

Once the innerwell is out you need to decide what method you feel most comfortable with to get the comic out. Some people pull apart the two sides(starting at the top) to release the comic inside(PGX welds might be tougher and closed on top, I am not sure)

You can also cut the top or two sides with scissors, or use an Xacto type knife and or a ruler to cut 2-3 sides to allow you to lift, or pull the comic out safely. I prefer the Xacto blade because scissors can twist and warp the plastic shell if you are not careful.

Just be careful the comic does not get cut when doing so, and there are no sharp edges for the comic to snag on as you lift it out.

It all comes down to being carefull taking your time and once you have done a few it is quite easy.

Hope this quick answer helps.

Thanks Ze-man. Exactly what I needed to hear. I searched for past threads, but could not find them. I obviously want to take my time with this whole process, so I will wait until tonight to see if there are any other opinions or advice.. Has anyone had hands on experience cracking out a PGX?

:roflmao:

Yeah, thats our own Chromium. It is all basically the same stuff, just adapt it to what you are most comfortable doing. Steps are all similar be it PGX or CGC.

Except for how he handles and bags the comic which we have endessly teased him about! :kidaround:

It should be noted that PGX uses a tapered innerwell compared to many of CGC's wall edges ones. Depending on how close the comic is sealed you might not have much wiggle room when cutting.

Yeah, thats our own Chromium. It is all basically the same stuff, just adapt it to what you are most comfortable doing. Steps are all similar be it PGX or CGC.

Except for how he handles and bags the comic which we have endessly teased him about! :kidaround:

It should be noted that PGX uses a tapered innerwell compared to many of CGC's wall edges ones. Depending on how close the comic is sealed you might not have much wiggle room when cutting.

Thankfully Chrome doesn't resell his comics after reading them.

:eek:

I am going to do this tonight, and will report back how it goes.. but before I do, I would like some confirmation..

Has anyone cracked out a PGX? There has got to be people that have. Is it basically the same thing as in the video? If not, what is different that I should expect?

Scary stuff cutting with those scissors doh!

Going to have to do this very carefully. Cover may be detached on one of them so gotta concentrate at the end when taking the book out of the inner well...

Great background music Chromium lol

This is of interest to me, was the cover detached before it was slabbed by PGX?, reason I ask is the tapered well they use can create friction strong enough to grab the cover while the interior might move, resulting in popped staples.

I'll be cracking a PGX in a couple days. Thanks for the heads up!

Leon@virtualeon.com

Scary stuff cutting with those scissors doh!

Going to have to do this very carefully. Cover may be detached on one of them so gotta concentrate at the end when taking the book out of the inner well...

Great background music Chromium lol

This is of interest to me, was the cover detached before it was slabbed by PGX?, reason I ask is the tapered well they use can create friction strong enough to grab the cover while the interior might move, resulting in popped staples.

To tell you the truth, I dont know. I just bought them slabbed, and will assume the covers are not attached since they are low grade PGX's. One of the reasons why I am so anxious to open them is to check out their actual condition. Thanks for the heads up though. I will definitely be keeping all of these things in the back of my mind. Might wait to get some mylars off Hotflips before I crack it..

PGX cracks out the same way. Don't be afraid. (thumbs u

Thanks for the encouragement. I have class at 130, than will be cracking away. I will crack out the book that I plan on selling first. Than crack out the one that will stay with me for a long time. :cloud9:

You should see some of the guys that work for CGC cracking the books out. They already have the technique down to a science - they just pry it open with their bare hands and gingerly remove the book from the inner holder. After you do it a couple of times and figure out how their put together, it becomes second nature.

Thankfully Chrome doesn't resell his comics after reading them.

:eek:

It's a VG book... not like it went down in grade. Next thing you'll tell me I shouldn't roll it up and stuff it in my back pocket between reading sessions (shrug)