• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G.I. JOE THREAD YO JOE!!!!!!
10 10

2,339 posts in this topic

Just bought #1,2 and 6 of the arah comics and then today I got a big surprise when someone gave me from the boards a se of 1-9 of the digests. Was an awesome surprise and made my day. Think I only need 10 and 11 now since have 12 and 13 but I have to go thru all my stuff to find out since I know I have some others elsewhere.

Thanks to that person. Still trying to figure out the spelling of his name so I can send him a thank-you pm.

139854.jpg.0c287e14e7e10b68fd4277d3b4e9a481.jpg

I'm in the hunt for an America's Elite 11 variant, and it got me thinking-

Why is this particular variant so desirable? I know that there were only 200 made- but there are a number of other very low run variants that I know of that don't command anywhere near the $130-150 baseline this seems to.

For instance, there is a New Dimension GIJ #1 error, apparently only 100 around, which I've seen for $30. The recent Heroes and Fantasies sketch variant is 1 of 250, and there are tons of those on Ebay. An IDW 1 of 500 variant I found for about $10...

Any thoughts?

Here are 2 auctions for that book that seem way over priced:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-Americas-Elite-2005-11B-VF-8-0-/130956272744?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7d9a2468#ht_1447wt_1399

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-Americas-Elite-2005-11B-FN-5-5-/310715052351?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48580f713f#ht_1448wt_1399

I'm not sure about there only being 200 of these as this was an incentive where if you ordered 200 of the regular issue you got one of these. I know that DDP did not have this advertised anywhere so it caught everyone off guard and most people don't actually know it exists.

The other books you have mentioned are all very recent books and garnered a lot of attention amongst Joe fans. There are enough of them around that all the serious fans were able to get copies. Elite 11b is much lesser known, is an incentive on a regular unremarkable issue, has one of the coolest covers of the series, it has entered into collecting lore for these reasons.

If anybody has further info on this issue please let us know!

Just bought #1,2 and 6 of the arah comics and then today I got a big surprise when someone gave me from the boards a se of 1-9 of the digests. Was an awesome surprise and made my day. Think I only need 10 and 11 now since have 12 and 13 but I have to go thru all my stuff to find out since I know I have some others elsewhere.

Thanks to that person. Still trying to figure out the spelling of his name so I can send him a thank-you pm.

I really like the digest with the #21 cover...great haul!

The digests are really cool! I had some as a kid. I should finish my set too.

I'm missing 2, 3, 9 and 10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-Americas-Elite-2005-11B-VF-8-0-/130956272744?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7d9a2468#ht_1447wt_1399

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GI-Joe-Americas-Elite-2005-11B-FN-5-5-/310715052351?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item48580f713f#ht_1448wt_1399

I'm not sure about there only being 200 of these as this was an incentive where if you ordered 200 of the regular issue you got one of these. I know that DDP did not have this advertised anywhere so it caught everyone off guard and most people don't actually know it exists.

The other books you have mentioned are all very recent books and garnered a lot of attention amongst Joe fans. There are enough of them around that all the serious fans were able to get copies. Elite 11b is much lesser known, is an incentive on a regular unremarkable issue, has one of the coolest covers of the series, it has entered into collecting lore for these reasons.

I agree this is a tough book, however those are both MCS consignment books which are frequently over priced.

What's a fair price for this? The few I've seen are all in the mid-$100 range.

I did see one go for $88 a few months ago, but for the most part the lowest I've seen this is for around $130 and up...

If you've seen them mostly go for mid $100 range, than that would be the fair price range.

and

I agree this is a tough book, however those are both MCS consignment books which are frequently over priced.

I agree that these paticular books are overpriced, but I don't think its insane or anything. I think $150-200 for a nice VF/NM or better book is reasonable. Ive done a lot of research on many low print GI joe books and this one keeps coming up as the rarest. Ill just list the research ive done. some of this is just my assumptions, but they are common sense imo.

1.) According to Comichron G.I Joe Elite # 11 had a print run of 18,171. This book was a retailer incentive that was given out if you ordered 200 copies. That means 18,171 divided by 200 = 90.85. 91 copies of this book at maximum would have been given out initially through orders. I have no doubt that only a dozen or two were actually given out through store orders, who actually orderd 200 copies of this book?? I would imagine that they printed between 50- 100 copies, people like round numbers and pre-orders should have shown them they didnt need many more.

2.) I have heard that some of these 11B variants were given out at a conventions, while I cannot provide any proof, it makes sense. My guess was that they took some of the leftover copies that no retailers qualified for and gave them away as freebees.

3.) Because of the very low print run, the tough dark cover, and the fact that its a cool cover makes this book desireable. It's even harder to find because this was printed in 2006, it was not announced to retailers and the books have moved around and found their way into longboxes hiding away. This was not an incentive for a # 1 issue, or something new that publishers now hold onto and ask premiums for, nor did any collectors get a heads up about this book even being made. This was pretty much an unannounced giveaway.

4.) Finding one of these books beyond VF is nearly impossible. Ive been looking for a 9.4 or better copy for about three years and I have not found one. I am sure besides they few that went out with store orders, the others were handled poorly, especially if they were in fact given out at a convention, unprotected.

5.) IMPO A high grade copy ( 9.4+ ) of Marvel G.I Joe # 63 so much fun variant and this variant of G.I. Joe Elite 11 are the hardest to find joe books out there.

I am sure I repeated some things, but I love me so rare Joe books.

EPSON001_zps96a4a62c.jpg

The more you talk about this book the more I want to send it in for a pressing, I was sure it was a 9.8 when I submitted it.

:o

Im impressed!

Im telling ya, I dont think more than 100 copies of this variant were produced. If anyone has any extra info to share that would be great!

I just watched the extended blu-ray edition of G.I. Retaliation and it is so much better than the theatrical version. I did like the movie version and am not usually a fan of extended cuts but it's awesome.

There are 2 big scenes cut right from the beginning. The first is a scene where Duke, Flint and Roadblock are in a bar giving each other a hard time right after the opening scene. It was really good and gives more insight to how they perceive each other and their roles within the group. The next scene cut is right after that, it's a great fight with Snake Eyes & Jinx, there's actually a lot more to that part but I don't want to spoil anything. There's other stuff cut from the original as well but again I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to see it. Anyway, if your a Joe fan or even just going to watch it for the first time then I definitely recommend going with the extended cut.

I have to admit I have now saw G.I. Retaliation three times, and this has rekindled my interest in G.I. JOE again.

G.I. JOE Retaliation was much better then the first G.I. JOE movie . :)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I just watched the extended blu-ray edition of G.I. Retaliation and it is so much better than the theatrical version. I did like the movie version and am not usually a fan of extended cuts but it's awesome.

There are 2 big scenes cut right from the beginning. The first is a scene where Duke, Flint and Roadblock are in a bar giving each other a hard time right after the opening scene. It was really good and gives more insight to how they perceive each other and their roles within the group. The next scene cut is right after that, it's a great fight with Snake Eyes & Jinx, there's actually a lot more to that part but I don't want to spoil anything. There's other stuff cut from the original as well but again I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to see it. Anyway, if your a Joe fan or even just going to watch it for the first time then I definitely recommend going with the extended cut.

I have to admit I have now saw G.I. Retaliation three times, and this has rekindled my interest in G.I. JOE again.

G.I. JOE Retaliation was much better then the first G.I. JOE movie . :)

It was tremendously better - I'm looking forward to #3!!

Went to a toy show this weekend. Found a guy with a stash of joe books that was easy to deal with. Pretty much $2 a book but some in very nice condition.

Special missions is now complete along with my orders and yearbooks. 36 more books to go for arah and need 10 and 11 from the digest magazine ones.

:)

141921.jpg.03aacb522a775090cc79d60c936e4800.jpg

141922.jpg.fd6aede2eb79a06d55642157709e9a7a.jpg

Nice score!

I'm on the silly task now of completing ARAH, special missions, tales, etc. (and all the others...) in both direct and newsstand. I've got about 30-40 left to complete ARAH in both sets. Then I'll move on to finishing all of the Mark Jeweler's as well...

I was at NYCC on Friday and did pretty well. Found some good stuff (lots of newer IDW) in the $1 boxes. Overall I came home with about 50 or so books. The score of the day was an IDW 1:50 J. Scott Campbell pin-up book for $3.

I was sort of surprised that one of the dealers told me there are lots of people looking for GI Joe, which I didn't suspect.

G.I. Joe seems to be doing well right now. He had more books but I ran out of cash. Kreo is popular and I get messaged all the time for my joe figure stuff but they never have what I am looking for although one guy had a starduster. rest was all 87-89 stuff and I just couldn't trade away all my doubles and gear of 82-84 stuff. He had marauders as well but they are ugly lol. Guy was upset but no way I am trading my earlier stuff for later stuff.