• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PROFILES IN HISTORY- NEW COMIC ART UPDATE-FINALLY!!!! (TOMORROW!!!)

140 posts in this topic

Hi Nexus,

Would you have bought it if it were available? I also called too late but I would have passed.

If you're speaking of the MIRACLEMAN page, I would have passed as well. The hype for that page was no lie...it was definitely the best Kid Miracleman page from issue #1. Having said that, I thought the price was too high FOR ME. And as great a Kid Miracleman page as it is, I'd like a MIRACLEMAN page with Miracleman, know what I mean?

Clearly, though, someone didn't mind paying for it. For sellers looking for top, top dollar, they've just got to find that one buyer. If PIH and Jonathan Mankuta are getting a 90% sell-through rate as he says they are, then they've done a great job of figuring out just the right formula to play on eager collectors' emotions.

Well, I'm not PIH, Joe Maddalena is, but I do buy stuff with him sometimes...

Let's see what this sale brings...I think some of the stuff is quite impressive and darn fun to look at at the very least... :)

All that waiting for a super slow PDF file that's acting up :sorry:

just download it...took about 30 seconds here and I'm half a world away :whistle:

I like the Cockrum Xmen/Doom pages ... but very happy I already own a page from that book/arc if I look at the prices :blush:

The Doom/Wolvie battle page is sweet though

What is the markup ? Presumably 100 pct or more ? Do you recommend we ignore this auction, cut out this middleman & await the website ?

When I bought Eric Powell GOON art from Jonathan Mankuta/PIH last year, the markup was around 70%. It looks to be a little less this time (maybe they decided to lower their prices when I posted that Eric will be selling his art directly soon? hm ). In a business where some dealers are used to 100%+ markups, I guess that could be considered not "very much".

My advice is the same that I follow for myself: If you see something you really love, then suck it up and pay Jonathan his markup. If you're kind of "eh" about it, then you can afford to wait.

For me, this time around, I don't see anything better than what I already have. But there are nice pieces, so good luck if you decide to get anything.

Actually, ERIC marked up his prices a bit this year, and I marked them up with PIH only a small amount (Eric gave no volume discount either as those who watched me buy it all from him will attest). His prices will be about the same as what PIH has as he will pay about the same amount to his rep from what he told me...the markup on PIH on the Powell art is on average less than 30% from what Eric charged just to give you some idea.

I would hope that major issues would be noted over the phone

Like huge paste-ups including the head of the central character on the cover? ;)

What cover has the central character's head as a stat?