• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone tried Mill Cases?

17 posts in this topic

Those would be nice for "display" raw copies, but other than that, i can't see the point. I wouldn't mind trying out a few, but I question their "better than mylar" claim.

I do use mill cases and really like them. I always use these if I am taking comics to an event to be signed. They provide much better protection for my books when in my bag or being lugged around at a show. I get mine from online from Wizard.

I will also use these if I need to ship a high dollar book..Not cheap but it helps prevent the claims of damage from some ebayers. :cool:

The web page states they are not UV resistant. That is my main issue with the display of comics, nothing like having an otherwise high grade but UV faded book on the wall. :cry:

yeah, even when "displayed", I keep them in a low lit room, and only for weeks at a time, but that can never be stated enough.

Nothing like seeing a "high grade" key with amazingly white tones on what was original bright oranges and reds with a NM price.

Bill Ponsetti would know the dealer I'm talking about.

We are re-doing my office/comic room here in my house. I am trying to figure out a way I can do a little display of some books without the problems of UV. The biggest problem is the room itself. It is the brightest in the house all day. Right now all my books are kept in boxes in the closet.

Mill cases are great, I use them to take a couple of books to cons that I want to get signed - definitely a good way to transport them. Once catch - they are not anti-static and the covers will "stick" to the cover when you open them, so proceed with opening with caution. The only other drawback for me was the price. Not cost effective for a bunch of books but really cool for a few.

I agree with Silver on this one, I use Mill cases for comic shows. While they add some weight to my back pack they are great for protecting those show giveaways. I do not use them for displaying comics because they are not UV protected. Instead for displays, I use the comic frames with the UV protection sheet. (bagsunlimited)

We are re-doing my office/comic room here in my house. I am trying to figure out a way I can do a little display of some books without the problems of UV. The biggest problem is the room itself. It is the brightest in the house all day. Right now all my books are kept in boxes in the closet.

You can use window shades that will block out all the daylight but you still have the issue of artificial light which also emits UV rays. I've been doing a little research and have found that "indirect incadescent" light is the safest. There are special "low UV" bulbs. In order to make the light indirect, museums use lighting fixtures that aim the light at the ceiling and the light bounces off the ceiling and lights the room. That indirect light is much safer to use to showcase sensitive items.

I am thinking about getting some of these. However, the web site claims:

"Less off-gasing that Mylar ..."

However, isn't Mylar inert? I didn't think inert molecules engage in off-gasing, since they have stable electron configuration (no free radicals).

Their website does not state what polymer they use for their cases?

Any thoughts?

-Scott

Just curious to see if anyone had tried Millenium Cases. Someone I know is interested in trying them but has never seen them in person. Here's the link to the site.

http://www.millcase.com/index.html

I've used them Gary - thought they were OK but too pricey to buy in bulk, which I was thinking of doing.

Marc had some if you drop him a message.