• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you know who did Jason Ewert's Mirco-trimming ???

102 posts in this topic

So the question is still valid regardless of the intent of the thread (and I agree with you Ze)...

Who's to say it's not still happening? The steps CGC "instituted" to detect the trimming has never been made clear other than a vague release that they could now detect it... (shrug)

Jim

Well, it does appear that the well-know parriah, Dad&Son, got trimming past the CGC check. (shrug)

To be honest with you if CGC were to make a press release detailing the methods they use to determine micro trimming that would only better educate people who want to trim books, and decrease submissions because people could check for it themselves. But that does not mean there are not things in place, as part of the resto detection class I won wth Steve 2 years ago he brought a stack of Ewert trimmed books and showed me several methods they used to detect it once they realized what was being done.

Regarding DadnSons hack job, well that was a crock imho. He badly trimmed a lower corner on a low dollar book for no other reason to see if it got past CGC. I guess there could be cause for alarm that it did, but given what book it was and how/where it was trimmed leads me to think it more the exception not the rule. For all I know 1 grader might have noted it as trimmed and another was not sure so it was left of.

CGC's trimming detection is probably as good as it gets, but in the end some things are going to get past them given the nature of trimming itself.

To be honest with you if CGC were to make a press release detailing the methods they use to determine micro trimming that would only better educate people who want to trim books,

and decrease submissions because people could check for it themselves.

Part 1 I can understand. It's a classic conundrum. You see the same thing in autographs... if an authenitcator reveals the "tells" of a forgery, he is educating not only consumers, but the forgers as well.

Part 2 should not enter into the equation. While I understand that CGC is a business, their bottom line should not be a factor when it comes to helping the community fight fraud. Even if they released the information, there would still be plenty of people that would submit because they would want CGC confirmation.

To be honest with you if CGC were to make a press release detailing the methods they use to determine micro trimming that would only better educate people who want to trim books, and decrease submissions because people could check for it themselves. But that does not mean there are not things in place, as part of the resto detection class I won wth Steve 2 years ago he brought a stack of Ewert trimmed books and showed me several methods they used to detect it once they realized what was being done.

Could you describe those methods CGC showed you that they used to detect the trimming on Ewert's books?

CGC's trimming detection is probably as good as it gets, but in the end some things are going to get past them given the nature of trimming itself.

This is what I've always heard as well. I'm not exactly sure what people mean by "micro-trimming," but I assume that it means taking a very small amount of a side off from either the cover, the interior, or both from white-paged books. If you trim a book that has offwhite or cream pages, the trimming is easier to detect, as the newly-trimmed side is whiter than the interior. But if you carefully trim a book with white pages...I don't believe there's a way to detect it. Which, if true, would make "micro-trimming" very similar to, or exactly the same as, pressing.

Schreuder wasn't involved. Marc used to trade on eBay in restored 'non-restored' books under the ID 'essoilman'. I know they were restored, because he sold me some. :frustrated: It was also alleged that he was involved in the theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars of books from an ex-boarder (who was an utter scumbag arsehole himself) whose name escapes me right now...Mark Something or other. His board ID involved Spider-Man and he used to trade on eBay, initially, under an ID 'infinite' something. (Help me out here, somebody :eek: )

Point is, Schreuder was a known crook and a very easy mark to pin the blame on, but he was not involved in any way. (thumbs u

Schreuder also owns, or used to own, one of the best Spidey and FF runs on the planet. He was snapping up every 9.4 / 9.6 early FF and Spidey off of ebay in the early days of CGC. I always groaned when a book popped up that I wanted and saw "essoilman" pop up in the bidder list, because I knew he'd be willing to set a record price. I think it was him I lost Greggy's FF 49 CGC 9.6 with offwhite pages to. His ebay user name was taken from his company, ESS oils, some kind of dietary supplement product company.

I've seen some census-topping early Marvels I know he bought back on the market over the years, including Greggy's FF 49, so he may have sold everything by now.

Schreuder also owns, or used to own, one of the best Spidey and FF runs on the planet. He was snapping up every 9.4 / 9.6 early FF and Spidey off of ebay in the early days of CGC. I always groaned when a book popped up that I wanted and saw "essoilman" pop up in the bidder list, because I knew he'd be willing to set a record price. I think it was him I lost Greggy's FF 49 CGC 9.6 with offwhite pages to. His ebay user name was taken from his company, ESS oils, some kind of dietary supplement product company.

I've seen some census-topping early Marvels I know he bought back on the market over the years, including Greggy's FF 49, so he may have sold everything by now.

If I remember correctly, Schreuder also bought a number of the early FFs from PCE when Roter first listed them. I heard he even flew to LA to check them out in person. That was before CGC opened its doors.

I think he means gumshoes.

gumbos. :cloud9:

I think he means goombah's. Being from North Jersey, I am familiar.

That's it. Thanks Casey. That has been rattling around in my head all day. I just knew it wasn't right.

I think he means gumshoes.

gumbos. :cloud9:

I think he means goombah's. Being from North Jersey, I am familiar.

That's it. Thanks Casey. That has been rattling around in my head all day. I just knew it wasn't right.

(thumbs u

If I remember correctly, Schreuder also bought a number of the early FFs from PCE when Roter first listed them. I heard he even flew to LA to check them out in person. That was before CGC opened its doors.

He also flew into NJ to meet me as I had some early 9.4/9.6 Spideys he was interested in...so he was a definite player in the market especially in the early days of CGC..

Steve

He also flew into NJ to meet me as I had some early 9.4/9.6 Spideys he was interested in...so he was a definite player in the market especially in the early days of CGC..

Steve

Yeah. The accusation went that he also flew to see Matt Stanley's stuff (this was the ex-boarder I was referring to...posted as Notch_Top), didn't buy it, cased the joint instead, and then broke in and stole it all a week later.

Problem was, as Matt was so completely full of utter, utter sh!te, you could never really pick the bones out of it. hm

Such scandals!

I know we all have our different opinion on Pressing, but Jason Ewert was a total scumbag.

He use to come over to me when I was working for Gary Platt and try to pick out the best raw 8.5/9.0 he could find.

Now I understand why! :boo:

Such scandals!

I know we all have our different opinion on Pressing, but Jason Ewert was a total scumbag.

He use to come over to me when I was working for Gary Platt and try to pick out the best raw 8.5/9.0 he could find.

Now I understand why! :boo:

Gee and I always thought that Jason had such a warm and charming personality...everytime he told me my books were not as nice as his :grin:

He and Brulato though always made me an offer I COULD refuse though!