• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the best dealer you have ever dealt with???

155 posts in this topic

Gary Dolgoff would be my favorite if he had more high grade silver age material but he's king of the low grades. Too bad because all my dealings with him have been very good.

My favorite dealer at this time would have to be Brent of quality comics. Even though i have yet to meet him he strikes me as a very nice guy as well and is certainly pleasant to deal with. Most of his grading is spot on with quite a few books undergraded and only few that were a little overgraded.Pricing on mid grade to VF books has been very fair which is somewhat unusual for a dealer. Hopefully his inventory will continue to expand with quality material from the marvel age. If you haven't shopped quality comics its worth a look.

honorable mentions to my LCS owner, Ken Stribling

then I've bought from you as well!

At the time you owned the store, I was buying Star Wars toys and I bought a lot of loose complete orginals from you! I lived in Hattiesburg at that time, but came up every couple of months. Bought hundreds of dollars of toys and comics from you.

You had a moustache and a small child- a little girl, I believe.

yep, that was me, you weren't a youth minister were you? No moustache here anymore and my little girl is a senior this year. I used to deal a lot with the Hattiesburg store run by Terry (don't recall the name of the store though).

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics, and Collectibles here in Baltimore, and promoter of the Baltimore Comicon)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Bill Wahl (Comix Connection in York and Mechanicsburg, PA)

John Haines (My favorite Ohioan!)

Jim Ward (One of the first guys I ever bought old books from back in the '70s in Lancaster, PA)

At the time you owned the store, I was buying Star Wars toys and I bought a lot of loose complete orginals from you! I lived in Hattiesburg at that time, but came up every couple of months. Bought hundreds of dollars of toys and comics from you.

yep, that was me, you weren't a youth minister were you? No moustache here anymore and my little girl is a senior this year. I used to deal a lot with the Hattiesburg store run by Terry (don't recall the name of the store though).

That would be Terry Wagers of Hub City Comics.

That would be Terry Wagers of Hub City Comics.

Yes, Terry was a great guy!! One of the Best!

Last I heard he was working at china mart :(.

BTW, anyone know who ebay seller amazing-adventures is? I've bought some books from them in the past year and their grading is soooooooo conservative that I'm always impressed whenever I buy books from them.

Sal Dichiera out of San Francisco California runs Amazing-Adventures (store and eBay handle). I bought quite a bit from Sal in the early 2000's and back then he had some pretty incredible raw stuff in super high-grade. I met Sal for the first time in person at a SDCC a few years back and had asked about some of the stuff I was buying and he didn't have any left by that time.

A guy who set up at the Fayetteville Collector's Show in 1993.

I don't remember his name or where he was from but from appearances he was a fairly big regional dealer. Money was very tight for me at the time. I had a newborn son that my wife had left the Air Force to care for which severely hampered our income considering we had a mortgage and car payment on a then puny single paycheck. I pretty much had to curtail most all comics buying at the time and hadn't bought a new or back issue comics for at least 6 months (and maybe more). For some reason, I had a rare $60 to spend (tax refund maybe?) and decided to go to the show and buy some comics. A dealer was set-up at the back of the show who had a fairly nice collection. I grabbed a couple nice comics (mostly FF) from his boxes which totaled $50 or so. When getting ready to pay I off handedly asked him if he had a nice copy of Avengers #96 (there wasn't one in the boxes). He jumps back and pulls a beautiful copy out of some stock behind him. I think the comic was priced at $30 bucks and I wanted it. I start looking at the boxes to put some of the other comics I had already pulled out back so I had enough to pay for the Avengers. The dealer looked at me, smiled, and asked how much I had to spend. I told him $60 and he gives me the comics with a comment to make sure I read (he also mentioned the great art) and enjoy them. I'll never forget that and still have all those comics to this day...

I was sold on this hobby after that. I continue to hope that same courtesy exists today in this hobby...

Jim

I sure was. And Terry owned Hub City Comics. Terry was a good guy- a bit odd, but a good guy. I bought an Amazing Spider-Man #2 from him.

Gerry Ross.

He always had a huge selection of seemingly such high grade books, always priced, um, interestingly!

WOW! That guy was soooo crooked he was not allowed dealer membership because we thought he would switch peoples books. You are the only person I have ever heard from that did not think he was a piece of :censored:

:gossip: Unless they are moderns, I would have you books checked for restoration.

Didn't he have that octopus like logo with him flailing comics books..., like a three card monte game?

It was a bad fanboy-type drawing of himself (goatee?), with multiple hands holding books, no?

Yeah - that "switching books" comment gave me a great mental image from the past :thumbsup:

Um...did I REALLY need to insert this smiley: :jokealert: after that comment? lol:insane:

Steve, you should read my post in the Gold forum archives about the LCS franchise we bought from him in 1989... :makepoint:

If you really want you can still buy from Gerry Ross. He is eBay seller 1000000comix. I bought a few cheap books from him this summer before I realised he was the seller. He came by my house to drop them off and we spoke for about 45 minutes. He had three or four long boxes of 40s to 60s mid grade DC super-hero books in his car. It must have been 10s of 1,000s of dollars worth. One thing I'll say for the guy, he sure knows how to find comics and keep his inventory up.

Mike