• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We've seen your valuable comics: How much money do you make?

224 posts in this topic

Wow! Now that I'm envious of. I've loved them since I read about them in high school in my copy of Exotic Cars 2.

I had that same book. I must have read it a 1000 times! The sound of that GTO was unreal...like silk being torn...

Awesome! (thumbs u My copy is well-read, as well. I should scan it tomorrow. hm

Rick, I'd heard of a few selling for insane money early on before the big economic crash of the late 80's brought everything back down to it's knees. Remember there were Daytona Spyders fetching insane money...everything Ferrari was on fire in the 80's.

R.

I started following the Ferrari Market in 1985....when the 288 GTO came out, i was "hooked"...

I have owned a 3 diff Ferrari over the past 10 years or so (and a couple of vettes)...first was a '79 308 GTB, then bought but hated my 88 Testarossa, loved my 328 (as close to a 288 I might ever get)...

I know the owner of a spyder, he got it some years back...met him at a local Ferrari show, a great car...

when Enzo died in 1988, was when prices of Ferrari's took off!

Rick what is the market value on those? I know it was a few $MIL back in the day but I have no idea now. Between the GTO and the Porsche 959 there really was not other car on the same playing field back then.

I see that a couple sold in the U.K. last year for around $400-$450K each, and I read elsewhere that they were selling for around $300K in 2000. If they ever sold for "a few million", I'd like to meet the buyer(s) so I can sell them a long bridge in Brooklyn. :doh:

one sold at auction last year for 295,000 pounds (approx $550,000 at the time)... I never saw one in the $400K range, but that is about right, depending on condition/milage, etc...

at least one sold for 7 figures after enzo died, that I know of...I still have some old Ferrari newsletters....when Enzo died, dealerships were getting 2-3x sticker for brand new Testarossa and 355's and even used Mondials! every asking price jumped for a while!

Wish I would have seen your "Pintos" before you sold them. At least you got to enjoy two of the three cars I posted!

:)

indeed...

I still had the 328 when I met you, but sold it to buy my first Detective 27, so you just missed getting to cruise...but, I did love your Porsche!

Rick what is the market value on those? I know it was a few $MIL back in the day but I have no idea now. Between the GTO and the Porsche 959 there really was not other car on the same playing field back then.

I see that a couple sold in the U.K. last year for around $400-$450K each, and I read elsewhere that they were selling for around $300K in 2000. If they ever sold for "a few million", I'd like to meet the buyer(s) so I can sell them a long bridge in Brooklyn. :doh:

one sold at auction last year for 295,000 pounds (approx $550,000 at the time)... I never saw one in the $400K range, but that is about right, depending on condition/milage, etc...

at least one sold for 7 figures after enzo died, that I know of...I still have some old Ferrari newsletters....when Enzo died, dealerships were getting 2-3x sticker for brand new Testarossa and 355's and even used Mondials! every asking price jumped for a while!

Wish I would have seen your "Pintos" before you sold them. At least you got to enjoy two of the three cars I posted!

:)

indeed...

I still had the 328 when I met you, but sold it to buy my first Detective 27, so you just missed getting to cruise...but, I did love your Porsche!

I miss the Cayman. Although I am having a blast with the new car.

I love Ferrari's. There is always a sleekness and coolness about them. The body shop next to my warehouse has them in and out all the time, as well as other foreign cars. Lamborghini's, porche's, etc.

I myself, am a muscle car fanatic, probably because my father is as well and he still owns his and kept it original the day he drove it out of the showroom. few minor mods to the engine and he put rims on it.

What a insufficiently_thoughtful_person 'ROY' is, the AMERICAN V8...is most likely the GREATEST engine EVER produced. PERIOD!!!!

Flat 6

Yup, gotta agree with Bill.

I'm sorry but I have grown up in a car family that loved the American V8 and I find nothing to like about it (yes I can read your posts when someone else quotes them, Question).

I have grown up around Cadillacs, Chevys, Hemis and whatever else you can think of.

I measure greatness not by cost but by achievement.

The flat 6 horizontally opposed boxer motor that made Porsche is in my opinion one of the most beautifully designed motors of all time. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to work on, smooth as silk and a sound that is unparalleled except for the Italians...and there should be no surprise there.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If I'm a m o r o n then what does that make you when we talk about cars?

R.

Would you like to participate in a contest of automotive knowledge????hm I think i'd bust your Canadian in two :makepoint:

ANYONE, that thinks a EUROPEAN engine is superior to the American V8 is a assmunch! PERIOD! Given the Euros have been 'trying' to COPY the sound, and performance, of the American V8 for DECADES with ZERO comparison in either :headbang:

the FLAT SIX???? that's a F@#Ktard motor in comparison :gossip:

Would you like to participate in a contest of automotive knowledge????hm I think i'd bust your Canadian in two :makepoint:

Sure. In public or via pm. You realize I'm in the automotive business and have been my entire life, right?

(shrug)

Sure. In public or via pm. You realize I'm in the automotive business and have been my entire life, right?

(shrug)

In public please ...... :/

West I was never a Vector fan because they used to use the American V8. It kind of killed the appeal for me though they do look terrific. I know they've changed their drive trains since. I'm a Porsche fanatic but generally appreciate most European exotics. Nothing sounds like a thoroughbred Italian car. I'm going to one day own a 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo with a 4 speed gear box. That's where my heart is.

:cloud9:

:applause:

I learned to drive on a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera. I was just telling my wife today that I want to get a 1986 911 Carrera in Guards Red with camel interior, just like my dad's car.

Personally, I never liked the Vector because it was the automotive version of "vaporware." All promise, no delivery.

My favorite car is the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. It has a V12 (the sine qua non for a real Ferrari, IMO) and the flowing Scaglietti styling from the 1950s and 1960s that blows away any of the angular Pininfarina styling from the 1970s-1990s.

Unfortunately, you'll never see one anywhere except a Concours d'Elegance. The closest you'll get for under $25-30mm is this replica, which probably costs around a million bucks in its own right. http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=448227

This thread rapidly turned from amusing irony into a boring discussion about a bunch of mundane cars.

Anyways, everyone knows that there's the McLaren F1 and then there's everything else.

mclaren-f1.jpg

For the record I saw one of the coolest things I've ever seen in real life. Anybody know what a 1984 Ferrari GTO is? I had one drive by me and Lou in downtown London, Ontario yesterday as we were out for brunch.

Talk about how much dough you need to drive one of those around. There were only about 280 built, it was not street legal in North America and just the insurance is probably more expensive than my mortgage.

And the sound....THE SOUND!!!

:cloud9::cloud9:

R.

anyone that knows me, knows that is my dream car!

I had a chance to buy on in 2002 and didn't have the cahones to pull the trigger...tried to buy one earlier this year, but it had already sold before I even found out about it :frustrated:

The Ruf CTR was faster than both on the top end and faster than the GTO from 0-60, but the 959 and GTO were definitely sick cars in their own right.

For the record I saw one of the coolest things I've ever seen in real life. Anybody know what a 1984 Ferrari GTO is? I had one drive by me and Lou in downtown London, Ontario yesterday as we were out for brunch.

Talk about how much dough you need to drive one of those around. There were only about 280 built, it was not street legal in North America and just the insurance is probably more expensive than my mortgage.

And the sound....THE SOUND!!!

:cloud9::cloud9:

R.

anyone that knows me, knows that is my dream car!

I had a chance to buy on in 2002 and didn't have the cahones to pull the trigger...tried to buy one earlier this year, but it had already sold before I even found out about it :frustrated:

The Ruf CTR was faster than both on the top end and faster than the GTO from 0-60, but the 959 and GTO were definitely sick cars in their own right.

Yeah and Ruf was technically a manufacturer...but not in any real sense in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, the "yellow bird" was sick as a street car that could sing along at 211 MPH 20 years ago, but it just always struck me as a kit car manufacturer much like AMG was until Benz took over.

R.

This thread rapidly turned from amusing irony into a boring discussion about a bunch of mundane cars.

Anyways, everyone knows that there's the McLaren F1 and then there's everything else.

mclaren-f1.jpg

I always tried to like the Mclaren and never could. Race car for the street but just never could get my heart into it.

R.

I always tried to like the Mclaren and never could. Race car for the street but just never could get my heart into it.

:o

I actually like the way the Bugatti looks better than the Mclaren.

:foryou: