• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Collections?

23 posts in this topic

So after spending a couple hours reading thru Chuck's discovery of the MH and MH2 collections of books, I got to looking around to see who had them. First, off to ebay and there are some there of course.

My big question is, and I have read the Pedigree site, is there really any way to substantiate RAW books as being from the MH or MH2 find? I realize that the MH collection will be older books in better shape but I thought there were pencil marks on them. Some of the ones on ebay touted as MH, have nothing on the cover like that. The only guarantee I can see for a MH2 book is that it was slabbed with the provenance on the header to show it as such. A raw book from the MH2 find would be tough to substantiate.

And for kickers between discussion here....show your MH or MH2 books.

The Mile High II's with just a certificate are easily switched.

I think I remember something about some fake Mile Highs as well. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in Gold on it.

That thread got swept under the rug faster than one can say Shazam :whistle:

As for many raw pedigrees, their is a lot of trust being placed between the seller and buyer, if you don't know the exact characteristics of the particular pedigree. With West and Mark being experts in the field, and by following the lineage of the book, they are usually accredited to the proper pedigree when being graded.

Jim

There was a great article in an early issue of Comic Book Marketplace about the Mile High Collection. As each comic came into the drug store, where most of the collection was purchased, an employee would write his initials on the cover and put it aside for the original owner. I will try to find the issue tonight and get back to you.

I think I remember something about some fake Mile Highs as well. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in Gold on it.

Here's one thread, Doc. I could've sworn there was another better one but I can't find it:

Link

Here's one thread, Doc. I could've sworn there was another better one but I can't find it:

Link

Thank you. (thumbs u

This thread reminded me of a post I'd happened across which talked about MH. So I tried to search but couldn't find it, and stumbled instead on a Boing Boing post describing the MH collection/find.

I knew there to be some strong opinions on these boards, but had no idea that those views spilled outside of this community - after reading the discussion from this post, I don't know that I would ever want to own a MH.

There was a great article in an early issue of Comic Book Marketplace about the Mile High Collection. As each comic came into the drug store, where most of the collection was purchased, an employee would write his initials on the cover and put it aside for the original owner. I will try to find the issue tonight and get back to you.

That was the Lamont Larson collection.

Books were "pulled" for Edgar Church but the markings on the cover are a distributor's mark, date, and quantity of copies of that issue for that newstand/drugstore.

Church's have a smell all their own. I'm sure West & Mark can sniff them out. Several dealers and collectors can, as well. Most have arrival marks, but not all.

Ron Pussell can sniff them out as good, or better, than anyone out there.

What do they smell like?

Like a freshly opened book of crayons. Seriously.

The White Mountains have a distinct smell as well...and I'm pretty sure I don't like it :(

Jim

:o

Blasphemer! :sumo:

That was the Lamont Larson collection.

Books were "pulled" for Edgar Church but the markings on the cover are a distributor's mark, date, and quantity of copies of that issue for that newstand/drugstore.

Oops, perhaps my memory is off. I will still take a peek.

What do they smell like?

That certainly is a tough question to answer. I can tell you (after sniffing about 4000+) that there are 2 different and distinct smells on Mile Highs. The older ones from the 1930's to mid 1940's have a cedar smell, a soft yet pleasing aroma. These books were kept in the closet of the Edgar Church home in the basement. The books from the late 1940's on up have a much different smell. It is a harsher, much more woody smell. These books were also in the basement but not in the closet.

Finally, there are a 3rd type, those with varying smells that have already changed due to different or bad storage since the discovery in 1977. I bought an authentic DC Mile High in 1998 that resided in a smokers home for a decade. Care to guess what that Mile High smelled like? hmmm ashtray. :sick:

Hope that helps!

West