• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC's Tales of Terror Annual #1

67 posts in this topic

I've read it (as well as #4) but only in Russ Cochran's hardcover library reprints. That set is worth its weight in gold, to be able to see the stories from issues that were never published:

Confessions Illustrated #3

Crime Illustrated #3

Shock Illustrated #4

Terror Illustrated #3

Frazetta's artwork for the "Came the Dawn" story in Shock #4 is simply breathtaking. It's too bad that it was never finished. (It is only partially inked.)

I've read it (as well as #4) but only in Russ Cochran's hardcover library reprints. That set is worth its weight in gold, to be able to see the stories from issues that were never published:

Confessions Illustrated #3

Crime Illustrated #3

Shock Illustrated #4

Terror Illustrated #3

Frazetta's artwork for the "Came the Dawn" story in Shock #4 is simply breathtaking. It's too bad that it was never finished. (It is only partially inked.)

I've been meaning to get this forever, but I keep forgetting about. Maybe I'll see if there are any deals on amazon or ebay for it now.

Do those issues show the covers as well? I thought I read before the covers were MIA, but it would be cool if they found them somewhere.

All of the covers from the unpublished issues are shown. If I remember correctly, the original cover for Shock #4 was not found and it was created from scratch just for this library set. It is a painted cover, and looks just like the original picto-fiction covers, so they did a great job of creating it. I think the other three unpublished covers are the original ones from the 1950's, but I'm not 100% certain. I know that one of them was by Reed Crandall, so it's probably the original unpublished cover. I'll have to check that when I get home.

Hi All

I haven't been on the boards for a while so I'm a bit late for this discussion.

I'm the current owner of this first Tales of Terror Annual which I purchased of of EBay. I had hoped that it would of CGC graded a 3.0 (or 2.5 minimum) but it received a 2.0 grade. I've collected EC's my whole life and this was only the second of the first Tales of Terror Annuals I've seen for sale and owned. I do believe that this is the "Holy Grail" of EC comics. Hi Res scans: Here, and Here, and Here

I'm also planning on putting this book up for sale or auction very soon! :o

Jeff

It seems like your old copy is the 5.0 listed previously in this thread.

You know, I hadn't even noticed that when I posted, but you're right, it's definitely the same copy.

I had graded it at G/VG 3.0 when I sold it raw on eBay. The fact that CGC graded it at 5.0 really surprises me, to say the least. (However, I'm still very happy with the price I got for it!)

And to answer your question about "Lucky Fights It Through" and "The K.O. Punch", I've personally never seen copies of either book, but I've never really sought them out either.

I haave been looking for this and have never found one. I am trying to get all the EC Annuals after giving up on the Timely Annuals for now.

You are not all over the proverbial map...you are ALL OVER THE MAP! You need to get some focus...and put bids on books that you actually want in the sense that you will then send remittance... meh