• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What keeps you from saying "the Hell with it- I am selling my entire collection"

116 posts in this topic

What keeps you from saying "the Hell with it- I am selling my entire collection"

Buyers? (shrug)

Good point - if someone would write me a check for GPA on the CGC and even 50% OS on the raw, I'd be out so fast my shoes would catch fire. :flamed:

I haven't sold my collection in entirity yet because I have regretted selling just about every book I have sold in the past. Sure, to some it is just a business and if there is a buck to be made, then they will sell. But to others, it is YOUR collection and some of the books in my collection have meaning and emotion, believe it or not.

1) A couple of instances. I own a My Little Margie book that I purchased when I got married to "Margie". That book has been with us since 1972.

2) One of the influential books of my childhood was Daredevil #7. Daredevils struggle to continue to attempt to stop the Sub Mariner from destroying the land dwellers (us), by crawling towards Subby to contiue to fight, even though Daredevil could barely raise his are he had been beaten so bad by Subby, influenced greatly my personal outlook on giving up or quitting, when the going gets tough.

There are other books that I will not be parting with, come hell or high water.

Sitting here now, I can not think of one book I have ever sold that I didn't have at least a tinge of regret about letting go. No matter what the price. It was MY BOOK and now someone else has it. But of course, I am weird anyway.......:)

Agree 100%! I hate parting with my books... the only books I am cool with selling are duplicates.

After a few bad deals and extremely trying buyers/sellers, I am just about ready to say, "screw it" an put my whole collect up for sale...

What keeps you from doing this?

I am having trouble thinking of a good reason...

Don't do it!!! I had about 12,000 comics, numerous full runs and over 300 CGC comics including a Captain America Comics # 1....due to a few idiotic buyers, new ebay feedback rules and needing money for a new baby, i just sold everything...some of it unbelieveably cheap....and now I regret it.

Gotta admit though, I'm gonna start the collection hunt over the coming months again and I enjoy the hunt.

I sold my entire collection a few years ago and now I am still trying to rebuild it. I regret selling it as I didn't need the money I was just tired of the hobby and decided to sell. Now I am paying a pile of money for comics that I originally bought for cover price. Unless something happens and my family really needs the money I will never sell my collection.

For those who are considering selling their collection because they are tired or bored with the hobby I suggest you take a break from it first. Step a way from the hobby but don't sell anything. Give it a few months (as much as 6) so you can have a break. The break will let you know if you miss it or have the itch to continue or if you don't miss it then you can then go a head and sell.

due to a few idiotic buyers, new ebay feedback rules and needing money for a new baby, i just sold everything...some of it unbelieveably cheap....and now I regret it.

I'm sure your baby doesn't.

When I was in University, I was forced to sell off some of my high-grade Wayne Gretzky rookies - got $200 a piece, which went for tuition and rent and gave me the freedom to get a PT job.

Do I regret it? A little bit, but I still have some and could buy those other cards back now, many times over, so who cares?

due to a few idiotic buyers, new ebay feedback rules and needing money for a new baby, i just sold everything...some of it unbelieveably cheap....and now I regret it.

I'm sure your baby doesn't.

When I was in University, I was forced to sell off some of my high-grade Wayne Gretzky rookies - got $200 a piece, which went for tuition and rent and gave me the freedom to get a PT job.

Do I regret it? A little bit, but I still have some and could buy those other cards back now, many times over, so who cares?

yeah, i suppose your right, but it turned out in the end i could have got by, by just selling the Cap # 1.....

yeah, i suppose your right, but it turned out in the end i could have got by, by just selling the Cap # 1.....

Then that's what you should have done.

I didn't just dump my entire card, comic, toy, pop culture, etc. collection on the street. I methodically sold off some Gretzky's right before the semester began, and only enough to pay tuition and a few months apartment-rez rent.

After a few bad deals and extremely trying buyers/sellers, I am just about ready to say, "screw it" an put my whole collect up for sale...

why not use this strategy take your whole collection and trade/sell to upgrade to a few CGC keys?example a AF 15.

Then that's what you should have done.

I didn't just dump my entire card, comic, toy, pop culture, etc. collection on the street. I methodically sold off some Gretzky's right before the semester began, and only enough to pay tuition and a few months apartment-rez rent.

jc, didn't just dump it...but sold it as a collection minus the CGC stuff. all the raw stuff went to another boardee for less than i'd been off of other more local collectors...i thought he'd look after it better...the cgc stuff went on ebay, thats when it sold for next to nothing...got a reasonalble price for the raw comics...

anyhow, ive got money to spare now, loads of o/t at work, comics are more avalible (ie five copies of Batman # 1 currently for sale on different forums), and i enjoy hunting them. goin to look at a collection over the next couple of days. and we all know the hunts the most enjoyable part of collecting comics!!! :devil:

For those who are considering selling their collection because they are tired or bored with the hobby I suggest you take a break from it first. Step a way from the hobby but don't sell anything. Give it a few months (as much as 6) so you can have a break. The break will let you know if you miss it or have the itch to continue or if you don't miss it then you can then go a head and sell.

good advice

why not use this strategy take your whole collection and trade/sell to upgrade to a few CGC keys?example a AF 15.

This (along with most of the other posts) makes alot of sense to me. I have what equates to about 10 long boxes of comics (only half of one of those are my restored coverless comics).

I think I will make a goal to decrease that by 50% and take the money and invest in a CGC 8.0 or better SA key.

After that I think I will step away from actively buying/selling until after the holidays.

Thanks for all the feedback - you are a great group (thumbs u

I made the mistake of selling 50% of my collection in college for pennies. Then again another 80% in 2002 for all of the wrong reasons. I regret most of it because I got rid a bunch of keys I'm now trying to get back. But it did free up a considerable amount of space. Now I just have to limit my focus. If you do sell just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

I keep collecting for three reasons.

1. It would be a pain in the butt to price, list, and transport all those stupid funny books.

lol

2. I love comics! I don't even fully understand why, but I'm fascinated that there are people that can get you to suspend disbelief using some scribbles and words on paper. To me the true geniuses of the form can tell story with absolutely no words. Like silent movies, the lack of language makes them universal and there is true beauty in that.

:cloud9:

3. Habit. Like a junkie looking for their next fix, I just keep coming back. I'm reminded of a quote from "Field of Dreams" when James Earl Jones' character is explaining it to Kevin Costner why baseball is so great, "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball." That's comics with me. Good times and bad, I've always had my funny books. They still showed up every Wednesday or close to it. There's some bizarre comfort in that.

I was thinking of selling my collection and finally did something

intelligent and just took a break from buying and tried to read

every comic I own before I went back to buying. This didn't quite

work out and I've only recently bought a couple of my favorite

books before I completed reading all my comics.

I've slowly been lurking on these boards and just can't leave

and would miss greggy's insults too much. :acclaim:

Like Arex said the people I've met on line or on these boards

make comics even more of an attraction for me.

KOR :sorry: