• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ERB Collection----Tarzan anyone?

447 posts in this topic

Is it okay to post pic's in several places? I have already done so once and didn't want to get anyone upset with multi posts of the same thing. I could share the Fast Action over there though, I bet they would like that.........

Is it okay to post pic's in several places? I have already done so once and didn't want to get anyone upset with multi posts of the same thing. I could share the Fast Action over there though, I bet they would like that.........

It's cool, especially in this case as many of the people who frequent the General Forum don't read the Gold forum and vice versa. (thumbs u

a few questions

what is Tarzan`s first appearance in comics?

Depends on how you define comic. :) The first Tarzan comic strip was a B&W daily by Hal Foster adapting the novel Tarzan of the Apes, which appeared in January 1929. Later that year Grosset & Dunlap published a hardcover compilation of those strips called The Illustrated Tarzan Book. Comics-n-ERB has his copy in one of the pics above. This could certainly be considered the first Tarzan "graphic novel."

The first "regular format" comic book with Tarzan in it was Tip Top Comics 1 from 1936, which reprinted 6(?) pages of Tarzan color Sunday pages by Foster.

The first all-Tarzan comic book is Large Feature 5 (1st series). It's an oversized comic that reprints the original B&W strip from 1929, so it is the same content as the Illustrated Tarzan Book. It's the red cover Tarzan thumbnail in my sig.

The first regular-size, color all-Tarzan comic is Single Series 20, which is the other Tarzan thumbnail in my sig.

Bet you thought you askeda simple question. :)

what was the first comic to have a Johnny Weissmuller photo cover?

what was the first comic to have a Ron Ely photo cover?

thanks a big Tarzan fan here.

I don't collect the later Tarzan comics with the photo covers so I don't know the answer to these. Maybe tth2 could chime in here as I believe he collects these.

I don't collect the later Tarzan comics with the photo covers so I don't know the answer to these. Maybe tth2 could chime in here as I believe he collects these.

I don't collect the photo covers.

It's not the photo covers that make them unattractive, it's the Jesse Marsh art ...

Oh and I don't believe I've ever scanned and posted my copy of Tarzan 30 with Lex Barker on the cover.

67433.jpg.84ec6cd5f36351fec43985665943a2d6.jpg

67434.jpg.c08e4132bc4820cab5552168da8eead6.jpg

The first Lex Barker cover was issue 13, The first Gordon Scott issue was 80 and the first Ron Ely cover was issue162 according to the Overstreet price guide (and Gerber). I collect but don't have all of them. I don't think Johnny was on the cover of a comic. He was on the cover of one of the Big Little Books.

bb

Big Little Book # 769, Buster Crabbe

Big Little Book #778 and 1182 Johnny Weissmuller

Big Little Book # 1180, Herman Brix (aka Bruce Bennet)

My mistake :shy: Was it the painted covers you collect?

It's not the photo covers that make them unattractive, it's the Jesse Marsh art ...

Definitely can't disagree with that. That's why the painted cover Tarzans are uniquely suited for slabbing. lol

My mistake :shy: Was it the painted covers you collect?

Yes indeed! Those great covers really did disguise some horrific art, although I did love the stories when I was a kid.

Tarzan60.jpg

Tarzan59.jpg

Tim, have you ever run into any Original Painting for one of those Dell Tarzan covers? That would be a great addition to your collection. Plus, they would go for relatively cheap. I don't know ... $4,000 to $5,000 maybe? I guess I should check Heritage's archives ...

Tim, have you ever run into any Original Painting for one of those Dell Tarzan covers? That would be a great addition to your collection. Plus, they would go for relatively cheap. I don't know ... $4,000 to $5,000 maybe? I guess I should check Heritage's archives ...

I don`t believe I`ve seen any in Heritage`s auctions, but I seriously doubt any would get up to the $4-5K mark, although perhaps my lack of expertise in that area causes me to significantly underestimate their value. In any event, I can`t say I`d have any interest. Sorry if this makes me sound like a snob, but while I think they`re really cool as printed comic covers, as "real" art I think they`re pretty much on par with paintings you`d find hanging in a Holiday Inn hotel room.

The first Lex Barker cover was issue 13, The first Gordon Scott issue was 80 and the first Ron Ely cover was issue162 according to the Overstreet price guide (and Gerber). I collect but don't have all of them. I don't think Johnny was on the cover of a comic. He was on the cover of one of the Big Little Books.

bb

Big Little Book # 769, Buster Crabbe

Big Little Book #778 and 1182 Johnny Weissmuller

Big Little Book # 1180, Herman Brix (aka Bruce Bennet)

thanks, I will try to hunt some of them down on Ebay over the next few weeks and then post them here. :)

I don`t believe I`ve seen any in Heritage`s auctions, but I seriously doubt any would get up to the $4-5K mark, although perhaps my lack of expertise in that area causes me to significantly underestimate their value. In any event, I can`t say I`d have any interest. Sorry if this makes me sound like a snob, but while I think they`re really cool as printed comic covers, as "real" art I think they`re pretty much on par with paintings you`d find hanging in a Holiday Inn hotel room.

Snob :baiting:

I just wanted your opinion on value (and boy did I get it). I was hoping you'd have a price target for those. I can see them go for less than the price range I posted.

I tried to get my scanner going but it appears it has scanned it's last. So I am going to have to get a new one. In the meantime here are some more pic's. This time around, some Plups for your enjoyment. For this first batch, I thought I would show some that you don't normally see.

This is Fantastic Adventures Quarterly, Fall 1942. Contains Returned copy of War on Venus. Complete story.

DSCF2701.jpg

The Quarterly's in case you don't know are copies that were returned to the publisher. They rebound three different plups into one and put a new cover on it. So they are original printings, just don't have the original cover with them.

DSCF2700.jpg