• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ERB Collection----Tarzan anyone?

447 posts in this topic

Great books David! :headbang:

Looks like the Funnies 35 turned out to be really nice. (thumbs u

I was very pleased with the Funnies 35! :cloud9: Thank you very much for pointing me to it! :headbang:

Glad you found my thread this time around Esquire! Are you a ERB Collector, or just like what you see?

Great books David! :headbang:

Looks like the Funnies 35 turned out to be really nice. (thumbs u

I was very pleased with the Funnies 35! :cloud9: Thank you very much for pointing me to it! :headbang:

Glad you found my thread this time around Esquire! Are you a ERB Collector, or just like what you see?

I love most anything that has history and a story to it, although I am not specifically an ERB collector. But I do love your collection! (thumbs u

My contribution to the thread:

Tarzan1cgc.jpg

Great looking colors on your book! For some reason I have never picked up that issue..........have to rectify that sometime! [/quote

I picked it up in an OO collection in 2007. He had almost a full run of the title. The colors are definitely gorgeous.

And ..... its for sale. :gossip:;)

Great looking colors on your book! For some reason I have never picked up that issue..........have to rectify that sometime! [/quote

I picked it up in an OO collection in 2007. He had almost a full run of the title. The colors are definitely gorgeous.

And ..... its for sale. :gossip:;)

Dare I ask..........how much?? Send me a PM?

Speaking of Comics, have any of you ever seen this, or even heard of it??

This is what I have been told about this item (description came with it):

1945 United Feature Comics Vol. 6 #42 The Rarest known comic containing Tarzan. 22 x 15 inch, spiral bound, hard cardboard covers "published weekly" "10 cent" This series printed all the Sunday and Daily strips owned by united Features plus a weeks' worth of the single panel strips (such as Tarzan, Lil Abner, Hawkshaw The Detective, Capt. & The Kids, Joe Jinks, Ella Cinders, Bronco Bill, Bill Mauldin's Up Front, etc...) This is supposedly the only known surviving copy of this issue, which is the only one with a full page of the week of Tarzan Strips! It is also the rarest and largest dime comic strip reprint book of Tarzan (or probably any other strip star).

Let me know what you think!! :)

erb009.jpg

erb010.jpg

erb011.jpg

erb013.jpg

erb015.jpg

erb016.jpg

erb019.jpg

erb020.jpg

erb021.jpg

erb022.jpg

Fellow Forumite The Yellow Kid pointed me in the direction of a person, who then pointed me to a fellow by the name of Allan Holtz. Allan had this to say about the above book:

Hi David -

These syndicate books were (and still are) published every week by

United Feature and other syndicates. Their purpose was mainly to

establish copyright for each week's worth of strips. The booklets were

submitted to the copyright office each week, and were also sold on a

very limited basis, often just at a newsstand in the lobby where the

syndicate office was located. The books are just stapled together and

contain second-generation proof sheets. Quality of the reproduction

varies by syndicate and era.

Another mystery solved! I'm very grateful to The Yellow Kid and to Allan for helping me to understand what I have here. It goes to show you that people are very helpful in our hobby!

Thanks guys for the help!!

David

Fellow Forumite The Yellow Kid pointed me in the direction of a person, who then pointed me to a fellow by the name of Allan Holtz. Allan had this to say about the above book:

Hi David -

These syndicate books were (and still are) published every week by

United Feature and other syndicates. Their purpose was mainly to

establish copyright for each week's worth of strips. The booklets were

submitted to the copyright office each week, and were also sold on a

very limited basis, often just at a newsstand in the lobby where the

syndicate office was located. The books are just stapled together and

contain second-generation proof sheets. Quality of the reproduction

varies by syndicate and era.

Another mystery solved! I'm very grateful to The Yellow Kid and to Allan for helping me to understand what I have here. It goes to show you that people are very helpful in our hobby!

Thanks guys for the help!!

David

So basically it is the equivilent of a newspaper strip ashcan. That is very cool!

erb009.jpg

erb010.jpg

erb019.jpg

erb021.jpg

erb022.jpg

Very cool book. :applause:

I've never seen or even heard of them.

Hi BangZoom! Thanks for the post! I've been meaning to tell you that your thread is what got me hooked on coming to this board and staying, thanks for posting such great books, you truly have a great collection and certainly a love for the hobby!

Any your right, I have never seen nor heard of any other books like this either. No other collector or dealer that I know of has seen anything like it either. But Allan states that this is a weekly occurrence. Weird!