• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ERB Collection----Tarzan anyone?

447 posts in this topic

Sweet! What printing is this one? For some reason I have never picked up a copy of this book, but I do want one.

Volland Golden Youth Series 1929 3rd ed.

So your a ERB collector then? What all do you collect/concentrate on?

Not really. I mean I`ve always loved reading his books, and have read many of them, including lots of non-series books, but I`ve never actively collected ERB stuff except for Tarzan comics. All I ever owned was just reading copies of his books until I picked up a few on a lark in a Heritage book auction a few years ago. I had no idea what I was doing, to be honest, and had no clue about valuations. Just put in some bids at the minimum bids for the hell of it and ended up winning a few. Very different dynamic from comic auctions.

That seems to be the way you end up collecting about anything; buying on a lark and liking what you end up with. ;)

For some reason I have never really gotten into the comics end of Burroughs collecting which really doesn't make any sense because I love comics. I do collect golden age comics that have ERB covers, like the Tip Tops and Sparklers. I also have the #1's of several.

I tend to do a roller coaster on picking up ERB items. I'll concentrate on Pulps for awhile, then move over to Hard Covers and so on. Lately I have been trying to upgrade my BLB's. I have some really nice one's if I do say so myself. :blush:

I love this book. Awesome drawings by one Harold Foster.

TarzanIllustratedBook.jpg

Here is my copy:

IllustratedTarzanbook.jpg

Yours has the dust jacket (worship) mine doesn't. Mine is the second state 1st edition. The way to tell is on the last page is a list of books by Burroughs. The first state ends with the title The Chessmen of Mars. The list found on the second state ends with The Mucker and all titles are underlined.

There is a third printing that came without a dust jacket, but has the same Foster cover illustration on both the front and the back boards.

Awesome copy BZ! Your DJ has 28 books listed on the back; can you check and see if the back page in the book has 28 books listed? According to my research book though, the DJ is supposed to be identical between the two states of the 1st edition. So this confuses me! Let me know what you have please.

Your DJ has 28 books listed on the back; can you check and see if the back page in the book has 28 books listed? According to my research book though, the DJ is supposed to be identical between the two states of the 1st edition. So this confuses me! Let me know what you have please.

Tarzan the Terrible, The Master Mind of Mars, and The War Chief aren't listed on the back page.

Yours has the dust jacket (worship) mine doesn't. Mine is the second state 1st edition. The way to tell is on the last page is a list of books by Burroughs. The first state ends with the title The Chessmen of Mars. The list found on the second state ends with The Mucker and all titles are underlined.

There is a third printing that came without a dust jacket, but has the same Foster cover illustration on both the front and the back boards.

Thanks, great info! (thumbs u

I'm such a dumb-arse, this is stuff I should've learned BEFORE I bought the book! lol

I will check the back page and back cover when I get home tonight.

I love this book. Awesome drawings by one Harold Foster.

TarzanIllustratedBook.jpg

There are interior illustrations by Foster?

Very cool! (thumbs u

There are interior illustrations by Foster?

Very cool! (thumbs u

It is very cool. A highly underrated book imo. This reprints all of the first daily strips by Foster from earlier in the year (1929). The series of strips is actually the adaptation of the novel Tarzan of the Apes. So this is really one of the first true "graphic novels" in many ways, from 1929, by Hal Foster from cover to cover.

Here is a shot of the interior:

TarzanBookintsm.jpg

Check out his use of chiaroscuro years before Caniff.

TarzanBookintsm.jpg

Tarzan >Thunda

tarzan2.jpgthunda2.jpg

tarzan3.jpgthunda3.jpg

I familiar with and a very big fan of Foster! I read that someone put together a list of Lou Fine innovations only to be rebutted by another that showed Foster using the techniques even earlier. Frazetta's early 50s art was powerfully influenced by Foster's Tarzan.