• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLOR: Show off your PAINTED art!

43 posts in this topic

I'm currently awaiting a nice painted page within the next week or so (will post an image as and when the art reaches me).

As most comic-book art is b&w line art . . . I thought it might make a refreshing change for those of us who have an appreciation for painted art to post some scans of color artwork from our collections.

To start the ball rolling, here's a page of Frank Bellamy THUNDERBIRDS art from the 1960s British weekly, TV21 . . .

w01chg.jpg

I've got four.

There's the awesome Andrews Hulk cover I've been showing off.

http://cafurl.com?i=10315

And a great JJJ page by Michael Gaydos.

http://cafurl.com?i=10425

A HUGE Ex Machina painting by Tony Harris.

http://cafurl.com?i=7306

And a wonderful Elektra page by Scott Morse.

http://cafurl.com?i=10424

All great stuff.

Just the same stuff I always show off -- two pieces so far and I'm working on #3 right now...stay tuned? I find color pieces extremely satisfying and I've noticed my extremely small collection drifting toward more of them.

Final Crisis #6 Batman Cover by J.G. Jones

Captain America #3 & TPB Cover by Mitch Breitweiser

Hi,

I really like painted art, as well as black and white art, and have long appreciated the works of those I see from my fellow collectors. Here are three pieces that I hope you enjoy.

The first is Vampirella by Monte Moore. This was done about eight years ago at SDCC.

Vampirella-2.jpg

The second is one of my favorite covers from Shade, The Changing Man. It is #8 by Chris Bachalo. I cropped the frame because of extraneous flash from my camera. Someday I will figure out how to do it right, but right now I'm just learning how to work my digital camera.

shade8.jpg

The third is by Bob Fuje for Prince Valiant, Dell Four Color #900. Fuje did about 8 covers for Prince Valiant. I only know of two that survived. In fact, I rarely see any covers from the Dell 4 Color Series. I picked this up at SDCC about 20 years ago. The colors are just unbelievable in person.

Valiant.jpg

The third is by Bob Fuje for Prince Valiant, Dell Four Color #900. Fuje did about 8 covers for Prince Valiant. I only know of two that survived. In fact, I rarely see any covers from the Dell 4 Color Series. I picked this up at SDCC about 20 years ago. The colors are just unbelievable in person.

Valiant.jpg

That's really good. (thumbs u

Continuing witha 'Viking' theme . . . a "Wulf the Briton" cover original, by Ron Embleton, from the UK publication EXPRESS WEEKLY (this one from 1959) . . .

2zzus00.jpg

2432q1d.jpg

LOOK & LEARN Cover (early 1970s, UK) by Patrick Nicholle

Patrick Nicolle (1907-1995). Contributed to The Bible Story, Look and Learn and Treasure. Nicolle’s expertise on medieval history, his eye for detail and his willingness to spend many hours researching his subjects helped make him one of the finest and longest-serving artists to grace the pages of Look and Learn, his association lasting the full twenty years it ran. From cut-away centre spreads of ancient buildings and the history of armour to the comic strip ‘Sir Nigel’, Nicolle never failed to impress. Born in Hampstead, London, on 15 November 1907, Nicolle was educated in Birmingham and London. Artistic talent was in the family (his older brother Jack was also an illustrator). After working in the book trade for some years he began freelancing illustrations for catalogues, magazines and books. He returned to illustration after serving for six years with the Royal Engineers and was spotted by Leonard Matthews, who invited him to draw comic strips for Amalgamated Press, his first appearing in 1950. Over the next decade he drew ‘Robin Hood’, ‘The Three Musketeers’, ‘Ivanhoe’, ‘The Prisoner of Zenda’, ‘Under the Golden Dragon’ (later reprinted in Eagle as ‘The Last of the Saxon Kings’), and his longest-running strip, featuring Ginger Tom, a young squire, which ran for nearly four years in Knockout (1956-60). Nicolle, who was a founder member of the Arms and Armour Society, retired when Look and Learn folded. He died in November 1996, aged 87.

I think at least half of what I have is paintings.

Here are some examples...

Ape - Phil Hale

12" x 12" oil on wood.

IMG_0308.jpg

Destruction - Glenn Fabry

7" x 10" acrylic on heavy board.

Destruction.jpg

Batman - Kent Williams

22" x 30", Oil and mixed media on paper, mounted to board.

Batman.jpg

-e.

n21s8z.jpg

TRIGAN EMPIRE interior page (from LOOK & LEARN magazine) by Don Lawrence

British artist Don Lawrence is best known for his highly detailed and full-color artwork on successful series like 'The Trigan Empire' and 'Storm'. Lawrence, whose real name is Donald Sautham, was born in London. Evacuated from the city during World War II, he lived in several places throughout Britian before settling in Crawthorn, Berkshire. There, he attended Borough Polytechnic, where he studied Art for four years. In 1954, he made his comics debut, drawing 'Marvelman' for Mick Anglo's Gower Street Studios for a period of four years.

Afterwards, Lawrence began working for Amalgamated Press and other publishers, like IPC and Longacre. He mainly did art on westerns, such as 'Davy Crockett', 'Daniel Boone', 'The Wagon Train', 'Wyatt Earp', Buffalo Bill', 'Billy the Kid', 'Wells Fargo', 'Pony Express', 'Blackbow the Cheyenne' and 'Cheyenne Veneance'.

He also drew comics like 'Karl the Viking' (for Lion), 'Wrath of the Gods' (for Boy's World), 'Tarzan' (for TV Tornado), 'Eric the Viking' (in Smash) and 'Olac the Gladiator' (in Tiger).

Fame came with 'The Rise and Fall of the Trigan Empire', a science-fiction epic written by Mike Butterworth and published in Ranger and subsequently Look And Learn from 1965 to 1974. 'The Trigan Empire' was a hit all over Europe, especially in Holland. Affiliated with the Temple Art Agency, Lawrence additionally worked on 'Fireball XL5' (in TV 21), 'Thunderbirds' (in Joe 90), 'Blackbow the Cheyenne' (in Eagle) and the erotic comic 'Carrie' (in Mayfair).

In 1974, he was contacted by the Dutch publisher Oberon to draw stories for the new magazine Babariba. Only one issue appeared, containing the story 'De Zoon van de Jager', and Lawrence returned to 'The Trigan Empire' for one final episode. However, he eventually returned to Oberon to draw the science-fiction comic 'Storm' for Eppo magazine. Starting in 1977, the series has been scripted by British writers like Vince Wernhame, Saul Dunn and Kelvin Gosnell, but mainly by the Dutch writers Martin Lodewijk and Matena.

Don Lawrence continued to draw 'Storm' until his retirement in 2002 (he was assisted for the final episode by Liam Sharp). Don Lawrence died on 29 December 2003. He was honored with a knighthood by Dutch Queen Beatrix. The artwork of the 'Storm' series is handed over to Romano Molenaar.

Large promotional painting (circa 1980s) to promote the launch of the ex-Charlton characters under the DC banner. Painted artwork is by John Higgins, who was born in my home town of Liverpool. I've met John a couple of times and he's a really nice guy to talk to. Gracious, polite and very down to earth.

2n836o5.jpg