• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COLOR: Show off your PAINTED art!

43 posts in this topic

A couple of Dave McKean convention paintings that I am lucky enough to have.

I also have a Dringenberg painting with Dream and Death, but I don't have a scan or digital picture of that at the moment. Also, I do have a couple of Fastner and Larson airbrushed paintings on my CAF, but the McKean's are definitely my pride and joy when it comes to the painted work I have.Later.-Will

I think at least half of what I have is paintings.

Here are some examples...

Ape - Phil Hale

12" x 12" oil on wood.

IMG_0308.jpg

Destruction - Glenn Fabry

7" x 10" acrylic on heavy board.

Destruction.jpg

Batman - Kent Williams

22" x 30", Oil and mixed media on paper, mounted to board.

Batman.jpg

-e.

Eric - your collection is simply astounding.

Yeah, I wanted to do something different since I'm sure Dave gets a ton of requests for Dream, Death, Batman, and the Joker quite a bit. The year I got the Delerium (1998), I was thinking of asking for Desire or Despair instead of Delerium.....just throught his take on any of those 3 would be "better" since it would be something fresh for him to do instead of the normal requests he likely gets.

Hopefully I'll be able to hit up San Diego this coming year and get another, but who knows how that'll work out with it being the 20th anniversary of Sandman. Probably be a lot more difficult because of that, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Later.

-Will

14twocm.jpg

MONTGOMERY OF ALEMEIN, episode # 11 (EAGLE magazine, UK, 1962)

From an 18 episode series detailing the life of Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, this is # 11. Many regard this as artist Frank Bellamy's best-ever war strip - and probably the finest-illustrated war strip ever to appear in a comic-book. Full-colour painted art (published as the centrespread within the mag).

To help with research (to ensure characters, uniforms and hardware looked totally authentic), Bellamy would frequently visit London's Imperial War Museum, armed with a sketchbook).

The blank caption boxes would have descriptive text added during the printing process.

OK, my turn, I might as well throw every thing here.

There was the recent Glenn Fabry Just a Pilgrim Cover that I already showed you guys.

But I also have a gallery (of 3) Dan Brereton Black Terror Painted Pages

One of my favorite pieces is a Matt Wagner Color Pencil Batman

And of course Phil Noto does great in colors and my examples are Battrio of Batman, Batgirl and Robin and Scarlett from GI Joe

Finally a couple of color pieces from the Spanish masters that Steve Morger brought over Metabarons babe by Gimenez and Batman by Azpiri

Now, did anyone actually clicked through all that? If you did, I'll throw more links up! :grin:

Malvin

21l34oh.jpg

EARTHA Sunday (# 9) by John M Burns

John Burns was born in Essex. He started his career as an apprentice with Doris White at Link Studios in 1954. His earliest work were illustrations for Amalgamated Press titles like Girls' Crystal and School Friend. He additionally contributed to Express Weekly and then fulfilled his military service with the RAF in Singapore. In 1960 he returned to Britain and began a collaboration with D.C. Thomson ('Wuthering Heights' in Diana) and Odhams ('Kelpie' in Wham!).

Later on, he became an artist of daily comics for newspapers. His first newspaper strip was 'The Seekers' for The Daily Sketch from 1966 to 1971. He took over 'Modesty Blaise' from Enrique Romero, and worked on this strip for The Evening Standard in 1978-79. Other newspaper strips include 'Danielle' (Evening News, 1973-74), 'George and Lynne (1977-84), 'Jane' (Daily Mirror, 1985-89) and 'Smythie' (Evening News).

In 1987 he began drawing 'Julia', a newspaper strip for the German market (later renamed to 'Lilli'). Burns also worked on a bulk of TV tie-in strips for TV 21, Look-In and TV Action ('The Tomorrow People). His series for Eagle include 'Wrath of the Gods', 'The Fists of Dany Pike', 'Dolebusters' and 'Roving Reporter'.

On the European mainland, Burns is mostly known for his Sword & Sorcery series, 'Zetari', which he made in cooperation with the Dutch scenarist Martin Lodewijk. By the 1980s, Burns joined Fleetway/2000 AD, where he worked on such series as 'Dan Dare', 'Judge Dredd', and 'Trueno'. He co-created 'Bendatti Vendetta' for the Judge Dredd Megazine with Robbie Morrison, and became the lead artist of 'Nikolai Dante'.

From what I recall, this (UK) cover art represented a serial called KID COPS - with artwork by Jose Ortiz. Outside my era of expertize, so I'm not entirely sure (anyone know differently, get in touch!).

fdavdw.jpg

JOSE ORTIZ (b. 1/9/1932, Spain)

When he was very young, José Ortiz Moya won a tournament organized by the Spanish magazine Chicos. This launched him into the comic scene, and he started producing numerous pocket-sized comics, like 'Capitan Don Nadie', 'Dan Barry el Terremoto' and 'El Duque Negro'. From 1959 on, he created 'Sigur el Vikingo' and 'Johnny Fogata', and in 1962, for the English newspaper Daily Express, he made 'Carolynn Baker'.

In the seventies, he ventured onto the American market with several horror stories, published by Warren. At this time, his collaboration with writer Antonio Segura started. Together, they created titles such as 'Jack el Destripador', 'Morgan', 'El Hombre' and 'Burton y Cyb', all throughout the eighties. Ortiz was present in Spanish magazines like 1984, Creepy, Metropol, K. O. Comics, Zona 84, Totem and Cimoc all through the 1980s until the mid-1990s. He also cooperated with the Italian publisher Bonelli, illustrating series like 'Ken Parker' and 'Magico Vento'.

2zhejco.jpg

HEROS THE SPARTAN by Frank Bellamy

Biography

Born in Kettering, Nothamptonshire, He started work at William Blamires studio, in Kettering in 1933. Bellamy met his wife Nancy whilst he was stationed near Bishop Auckland during World War II and was married in 1942. In 1944 David Bellamy was born to the couple. After the war, they lived in Kettering until 1949, when they moved to Morden in south London to be closer to publishers, most of whom were based in London. Bellamy worked freelance from home from the time he left Norfolk Studios in 1953. In 1975 the couple moved back to Kettering. [1]

Career

Whilst in the army, Bellamy had a weekly illustration published by the Kettering Evening Telegraph. Later, he worked in advertising (for Gibbs Dentifrice). In 1953, he began his first comic strip, called MONTY CARSTAIRS in "Mickey Mouse Weekly". Shortly after he moved to Swift where his work included SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, KING ARTHUR and ROBIN HOOD.

In 1957, he moved to "Eagle" and began working in colour on their back page biography strips: THE HAPPY WARRIOR (the life of Winston Churchill), THE SHEPHERD KING (the life of the biblical King David), and THE TRAVELS OF MARCO POLO, for which Bellamy only did eight episodes before moving to DAN DARE.

Bellamy took over DAN DARE part way through the "Terra Nova" storyline, replacing creator Frank Hampson. It was an awkward set-up: the new owners of Eagle thought the strip looked dated, so gave Bellamy the brief of redesigning everything, from the costumes and spacecraft to the page layouts. Bellamy was left to draw the title page unaided (in contrast to Hampson's many-hands approach, where the drawing, inking, lettering and coloring were all separately completed by a team of artists), while two of Hampson's former assistants, Keith Watson and Don Harley, had to do the second page. Bellamy's redesigns were somewhat controversial and, after he left the strip a year later, the next artist was instructed to reintroduce the original designs.

Bellamy then went on to draw two of his most celebrated strips, FRASER OF AFRICA and HEROS THE SPARTAN. He also drew MONTGOMERY OF ALAMEIN (the life of Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery) and did some work for Look and Learn.

FRASER OF AFRICA, one of Bellamy's artistic high-water marks, was not his idea but, as he was obsessed with Africa, he was the perfect choice to draw it. Bellamy used a monochromatic sepia color palette to reflect the sun and desert locale, with occasional bursts of bright color. It was a challenging and unusual approach and FRASER OF AFRICA became one of Eagle's most popular strips. Bellamy insisted on proper research and even had a reader living in East Africa supplying reference material.

HEROS THE SPARTAN, a Sword and Sorcery adventure set in Roman times, was another artistic triumph. Drawn as a two page spread and usually organized around a complicated splash in the centre of the two pages, HEROS was a bravura display of skill. The battle scenes displayed a vividness and complex layout rarely seen in comics and it won Bellamy an award (for 'Best Foreign artist') from the American Academy of Comic Book Arts in 1972.

In January 1966, Bellamy left the fading Eagle to work for the new comics magazine TV Century 21, where he drew their centrespread THUNDERBIRDS strip. Rather than faithfully draw puppets, he took the artistic license of rendering the characters as real people for a more exciting strip, as was already being done by Ron Embleton and Mike Noble in their strips. Apart from one short break, Bellamy drew THUNDERBIRDS throughout its run in TV Century 21 and TV21, leaving after the third strip in the merged "TV21 & Joe 90" which had gone from colour to black and white. He also drew the colour first pages for five CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS stories.

In 1968 Bellamy famously worked on an episode of the British TV show THE AVENGERS called "The Winged Avenger". The story featured a strip cartoonist and Bellamy was asked to create all the illustrations used in the episode. He also designed the artist's studio set and the costume of the Winged Avenger villain.

In 1969, he began drawing the newspaper comic strip GARTH which appeared in the Daily Mirror. This was the period in which intense competition with the new tabloid The Sun caused large helpings of nudity to be seen in British tabloids, and the strip reflected this. Bellamy's style was much more vivid than that of the original artist Steve Darling, and he was probably brought in as part of the effort to spice up the strip. The original writing team of John Allard and Jim Edgar shared byline credit with Bellamy. Bellamy applied all the graphic tricks in his arsenal from stippling and crosshatching to chiaroscuro inking to create a modern and eyecatching look for Garth unlike anything else appearing in newspapers at the time.

Drawing in black and white rather than colour gave Bellamy time to maintain a number of other regular commissions. During this period he drew the first comic strips The Sunday Times had ever run in its magazine as non-fiction journalism. He also regularly did illustrations for the BBC's Radio Times television listings magazine, in particular for the DOCTOR WHO television programme.

Frank Bellamy died suddenly in 1976, a tragic loss to the British comics industry and indeed to the world, at the height of his powers. He had plans for many projects including a western strip he was to write himself, inspired by the "spaghetti westerns" of Sergio Leone, but none of that work survives.

Guest Grails

I love the noir scene in comics, especially work by Steranko and some of Miller's Sin City and when I saw this one by Phillips, it was an easy choice.

incognito4.jpg

Bought this at NYCC 2008 from Ken Branch. I should have checked for him at NYCC 2009. This guy draws women beautifully in my opinion. :)

EDIT: Can you guess which female actress this was modeled after?

shehulklow.jpg