• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long do you wait for comissioned art?

19 posts in this topic

During the Baltimore Comic Con I purchased a commissioned piece from a popular artist. The price was $75 and the piece was supposed to be completed at the show (just a body shot). I realize that the guy had tons of requests and all things considered there was no way he could finish all the requests during the show weekend. Before I left the show on Sunday I stopped by his booth and asked about my piece, he confirmed that he couldn't finish it that weekend but that he had my email address and would contact me when the piece was ready. I made sure he had the correct email address and left the show.

Today marks a month and I've heard nothing.

How long should one wait prior to contacting the artist regarding a commissioned piece?

People who've paid thousands for commissions have ended up waiting years...

IMO, anytime after the agreed upon completion date is too long. Its really up to the point where you as a buyer get fed up of waiting. My advice for now is just send a polite email and inquire about it.

stupid question, have you paid for it or are you supposed to pay when it is done?

There is nothing wrong with sending polite periodic emails asking for an update, but I wouldn't make space on my wall for it until you have it in hand.

Malvin

I paid cash up front. While I realize it wasn't thousands of dollars, still I could have spent that money with another artist at the show. I picked up many pieces of commissioned art at that show because there were so many creators there.

I paid Steve Bissette for a piece 9 years ago.

Still nothing.

Have really old AWOL commissions from Tony Harris, Linda Medley, Rick Mays and John K. Snyder, III as well but I've long since tried getting anything back from them. I don't commission art any more. If I did, I'd be more inclined to go half in up front and half after. Too many artists go missing once the incentive is gone. Just the way it is for so many.

I wouldn't even be thinking about it at a month in. 2 months? Maybe a light and friendly email reminder.

-e.

Still nothing.

-e.

Well, I can finally say I have "met" someone that has beat my record. I have been waiting for my Fabry commission since 2002. I email him about every six weeks or so just to say hi, what's up. About every 8 months or so I'll get a reply. At SDCC05 when I met him he said it's be done by the end of the month. I'm still hopeful.

Back OT, It never hurts to send a friendly email asking if they have had time to work on/complete the commission.

Mike

Jeez. horror stories like that make me glad I've never tried commissioning anybody

:eek: and here I thought waiting a few months was already not cool...

Do most of these artists actually ask for money upfront ? Looks like payment upon delivery is the only way to proceed.

I should add that if my post is putting people off from getting commissions from an artist whose work they love, then I've done you a great disservice. For the handful of commissions that went wrong, I had at least a hundred go very well and a few dozen where the artists really went above and beyond the call of duty. I also made some dear friends out of the experience. Something you couldn't begin to put a price tag on.

The commission market has changed greatly over the last several years and as the commission era took off around 2000 or so, a lot of artists have since learned their scheduling limitations and what works for them.

I don't believe any of these folks set out to rip anyone off, but a few are a little more lacking in organization and a head for "business". I do wish some folks would be a little more straight with you than they are, but they are how they are.

I say if you've got a commission you want, go for it. Just be sure to talk it over with the artist and make sure you are both comfortable with the deal.

For the same reason you probably wouldn't want to pay 100% up front if you can help it, you also can't expect the artists to get nothing until delivery. Far too often people will "commission" a piece and then go AWOL themselves. That leaves the artists high and dry. Who else is gonna want that image of Aunt May dressed like the White Queen if you don't pick it up after you've ordered it?

Just be smart and rational and treat the artists with respect. If you are a huge fan of the artist, try not to man-handle the concepting of the piece. Let them do what they do best, and they'll be more invested in what they are creating. 9 times out of 10, you'll get a better piece out of it in the end. Stay in contact but give them some slack and don't pester. You might just make a friend as well as end up with a great piece. :)

-e.

Josh Medors has done two for me. The first took a month. The second took a year, and during that year while I waited, I saw others get finished pieces ahead of mine who hadn't waited as long. Emails to him bounced or went unanswered. I did finally get the piece, however. I'm thrilled with it, but there is another forumite (can't recall who) who was so discouraged he could barely feel pleasure when he looked at his commission afterward.

Alex Maleev let a deal drop. I pitched a commission idea to him, and he really liked it. He was eager to work on it, but asked to postpone until after his child's birth. Obviously, I agreed. He wrote back a year later and asked, "are you ready for your commission now?" I enthusiastically agreed and offered payment in whatever form or schedule he preferred. No reply! I wrote back and eagerly reiterated that yes, I was hopeful to get started and pay him. No reply. I even posted to his web forum. No reply. Anthony Snyder emailed out announcements that Maleev was now accepting commissions, and I responded immediately that I had arranged a commission nearly two years ago and then been dropped, and Snyder asked me to summarize the deal. I did, and then the same thing--no reply.

Still nothing.

Have really old AWOL commissions from Tony Harris, Linda Medley, Rick Mays and John K. Snyder, III as well but I've long since tried getting anything back from them. I don't commission art any more. If I did, I'd be more inclined to go half in up front and half after. Too many artists go missing once the incentive is gone. Just the way it is for so many.

I wouldn't even be thinking about it at a month in. 2 months? Maybe a light and friendly email reminder.

-e.

F that. If someone promised me a commission during a convention and didn't deliver it, I'd email him every week asking where my artwork is.

Thank you for your great comments, I wish I'd known this prior to heading out to the con. My dilemma now is trying to find contact information for the artist. He wanted my email address but offered nothing in return. Still I'm hopeful and this experience in no way puts me off this budding interest I have in commissioned art. I will just be smarter next time.