• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Ship a Slab?

44 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

My question is, what is the best way to ship a slab to keep the comic from moving at all, including in the inner well. There are plenty of cases of SCS and other defects affecting a book in a slab by the way it was handled and shipped. I will be shipping out my first slab or two, and I want to ensure the buyer receives the book as I sent it. Any advice would be great. Do you guys find a way to stabilize the inner well, or just pack it nicely and send it out?

Thanks in advance. (thumbs u

"CGC holders are very very FRAGILE. Dealing with broken cases is a huge hassle (it's over $20 to replace just one). Please mail in a BOX and use adequate protection and make sure to pad top and bottom edges and especially the corners (large bubble wrap is best). Using short priority boxes (slightly longer than the holder) is NOT recommended at all. The Post Office will give you 15 inch long boxes for free. Stuffing more than 3 CGC books into a Priority Box of any kind is a recipe for DISASTER (You are making a heavy glass brick). Mailing in ANY TYPE of ENVELOPE, not a BOX, is even worse.

. Please use box large enough that CGC(s) are not up against the SIDE in any place. Please do not place ANY tape on holder or leave label in open (turn upside down in bag if possible)"

...or so I'm told

I use the thicker bubble wrap. Wrap the book 4 to 5 times in it, put it in the bigger Priority Box, which should keep the book with wrap from moving once sealed.

"CGC holders are very very FRAGILE. Dealing with broken cases is a huge hassle (it's over $20 to replace just one). Please mail in a BOX and use adequate protection and make sure to pad top and bottom edges and especially the corners (large bubble wrap is best). Using short priority boxes (slightly longer than the holder) is NOT recommended at all. The Post Office will give you 15 inch long boxes for free. Stuffing more than 3 CGC books into a Priority Box of any kind is a recipe for DISASTER (You are making a heavy glass brick). Mailing in ANY TYPE of ENVELOPE, not a BOX, is even worse.

. Please use box large enough that CGC(s) are not up against the SIDE in any place. Please do not place ANY tape on holder or leave label in open (turn upside down in bag if possible)"

...or so I'm told

I appreciate the response, but got a link for me? :foryou:

...or so I'm told

I appreciate the response, but got a link for me? :foryou:

do you mean the illustrated version :baiting:

Use the free Priority Mail boxes (not the flat-rate ones, these ones or these ones), wrap your book in one layer of bubble wrap (so it won't get scratched), and then fill the box with the styrofoam peanuts.

The peanuts make sure that any impact is absorbed, so the book in the inner well doesn't move around - it's a much better way than multiple layers of bubblewrap.

I use the thicker bubble wrap. Wrap the book 4 to 5 times in it, put it in the bigger Priority Box, which should keep the book with wrap from moving once sealed.

Yup this works for me, too. Never had any problems doing it this way. I would avoid the CGC mailers that exist, I think that it doesn't provide the needed padding and protection you get from the Priority Box.

Use the free Priority Mail boxes (not the flat-rate ones, these ones), wrap your book in one layer of bubble wrap (so it won't get scratched), and then fill the box with the styrofoam peanuts.

The peanuts make sure that any impact is absorbed, so the book in the inner well doesn't move around - it's a much better way than multiple layers of bubblewrap.

This sounds like a ^^ unless somebody has used this method without success...

Nice of you to delete that lol

What was said?

All I said was "Ask here4now." But then I realized Chromium had beat me to it, and subtler to boot. I figured once was good enough and deleted it. No biggie.

(thumbs u I just didnt know who that information was from. I thought I did a good enough search for my answer on the threads but alas, I failed :sorry:

My way is similar.

Cardboard around either side of the slab.

Wrap in small amount of bubblewrap to keep the sandwich together.

Drop into box and surround well with Styrofoam peanuts.

The peanuts absorb shock better than anything else as they act like a liquid and not like a solid the way bubblewrap does.

R.

Use the free Priority Mail boxes (not the flat-rate ones, these ones or these ones), wrap your book in one layer of bubble wrap (so it won't get scratched), and then fill the box with the styrofoam peanuts.

I use the Flat Rate box, a bubble mailer and peanuts. The edges of the bubble mailer act to keep the book from hitting the side in case of some serious abuse.