• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay dead?

57 posts in this topic

i know it depends on what you have up, but my counter is up to a whopping 3 (which probably includes me) after 3 days on an adventure 431 (1st aparo spectre) I have up. I don't expect bids...but maybe some looks!

There is a ton of stuff listed, the new fixed priced auctions are jamming up some things, but my last set of auctions (inexpensive books) really surprised me, they all sold, even though I didn't do my usual 99-cent start price.

I did have less numbers on the counters than usual, but I didn't have super hero books listed.

I don't think it's dead, but I wish they would change that dumb no negative feedback rule for non payers. I have been getting more of those, than usual.

I was talking to a local guy I know. He buys estates and sells antique furniture. He was trying to explain to me ow Ebay is intentionally trying to do itself in and how it ties into Kijiji. I didn't have the time or brain power at the time to understand but I'll try to get a better understanding of what he was saying. He's a pretty sharp guy so I wouldn't discount it.

What I have noticed just in the past few weeks is less quality stuff.

R.

I'm sure it's the economy.

I'm doubling and tripling my "investment" with non-superhero moderns by choosing books to list that have little or no competition. And the competition that is there is usually way over-priced, so it's easy to under-cut them without crimping my profit margin.

The key is referencing the "Sold" section of ebay for each title to see what has sold and for how much. But more important is having a weekly theme so that buyers of one specific type of comic have other, very similar, titles to bid on and combine to save shipping. (I think this may be called synchronicity.) It makes the buyer eager to purchase more if the price-per-unit can be averaged out to a lower number.

On top of all this are my loss leaders that I use to attract superhero bargain hunters.

Five to ten lots each of (Alpha Flight, Deathlock, Moon Knight, etc.) for $0.98

Once they are in the store they usually buy something else.

And, yes, as with the stock market, now is the time to buy.

I'm sure it's the economy.

I'm doubling and tripling my "investment" with non-superhero moderns by choosing books to list that have little or no competition. And the competition that is there is usually way over-priced, so it's easy to under-cut them without crimping my profit margin.

The key is referencing the "Sold" section of ebay for each title to see what has sold and for how much. But more important is having a weekly theme so that buyers of one specific type of comic have other, very similar, titles to bid on and combine to save shipping. (I think this may be called synchronicity.) It makes the buyer eager to purchase more if the price-per-unit can be averaged out to a lower number.

On top of all this are my loss leaders that I use to attract superhero bargain hunters.

Five to ten lots each of (Alpha Flight, Deathlock, Moon Knight, etc.) for $0.98

Once they are in the store they usually buy something else.

And, yes, as with the stock market, now is the time to buy.

I am curious at 98 cents do you make any profit after shipping and ebay/paypal fees?

I am curious at 98 cents do you make any profit after shipping and ebay/paypal fees?

Most of the time I break even. Sometimes there is a small profit and at other times a small loss. Considering what I paid for them I don't care because by definition, a "Loss-Leader" is a product or service sold at a substantial discount in order to generate additional sales. The idea is to just get the buyer in the store.

Most of the time I break even. Sometimes there is a small profit and at other times a small loss. Considering what I paid for them I don't care because by definition, a "Loss-Leader" is a product or service sold at a substantial discount in order to generate additional sales. The idea is to just get the buyer in the store.

if you making less then a dollar,I would throw them out or donate them to hospitals. you got to think of time and also gas into the equation now. some comics really are worthless.

if you making less then a dollar,I would throw them out or donate them to hospitals.

Sometimes I throw in a few extra as freebies to people who buy in bulk.

And my super-hero loss leaders work. They bring the super-hero crowd into my indy/oddball store,

where they wouldn't normally be looking.

you got to think of time It's only around 10-20 minutes a week to post and another 10 to pack.

and also gas into the equation now. I'm going to the Post Office, anyway.

some comics really are worthless. And don't I know it. I've got three long boxes labeled c r a p.

I'm giving away as many as I can tonight for Halloween. Along with candy, of course.

Ebay is intentionally trying to do itself in and how it ties into Kijiji. He's a pretty sharp guy so I wouldn't discount it.

WTF?

crazy-729002.jpg

Well Kijiji is owned by Ebay, right? Why would Ebay shoot themselves in the foot and start a free classified ad section? Would it not initially make you think that it would take business from Ebay?

R.

Well Kijiji is owned by Ebay, right? Why would Ebay shoot themselves in the foot and start a free classified ad section? Would it not initially make you think that it would take business from Ebay?

They're trying to move in on the Craigslist market. If they suffer some collateral damage in the short term, so be it.

They're "The Big Picture" guys.

Y'know, :insane: "The Smartest Guys in the Room" :insane: