• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay dead?

57 posts in this topic

Well Kijiji is owned by Ebay, right? Why would Ebay shoot themselves in the foot and start a free classified ad section? Would it not initially make you think that it would take business from Ebay?

They're trying to move in on the Craigslist market. If they suffer some collateral damage in the short term, so be it.

They're "The Big Picture" guys.

Y'know, :insane: "The Smartest Guys in the Room" :insane:

lol

and also gas into the equation now. I'm going to the Post Office, anyway.

You mean people still go to the post office? Why? You can print labels for anything through paypal.com (first class, media, parcel, priority, etc) - and you can schedule free pickups through usps.com. Can't remember the last time I actually had to leave my house to send a package (shrug)

You mean people still go to the post office? Why? You can print labels for anything through paypal.com (first class, media, parcel, priority, etc) - and you can schedule free pickups through usps.com. Can't remember the last time I actually had to leave my house to send a package (shrug)

It fits my business model.

1) Gas isn't a concern since the PO is just another stop when I'm out on weekly errands.

(This is the only downside I see: a half hour of my time per week.)

And each week, about an eighth to a quarter of the packages are international.

Do postal carriers pick these up, too?

2) No extra ink cartridge purchases of >$25.00 per month for my postage printer.

3) Any problems are taken care of immediately with the person behind the counter.

No back and forth with the risk of miscommunication/mistakes.

I should buy a sensitive weight scale, though.

I don't think it's ebay itself.

Earlier this month I ran 125 SW action fig auctions and only 10 didn't sell though there was 1 deadbeat NPB.

I think it's just a mix of economy and people gearing up for the holidays and so frivolous spending is probably down.

Ebay auctions still sell for what the current market thinks it is worth. Items may sell for less or not at all but that is just a reflection on those items and the current market. The market is being influenced heavily by the economy and fears of what could possibly happen to the economy.

I think ebay has chased a way a lot of the cheaper selling items. With all the current fee (listing, selling, paypal) its impossible to make money on cheap items, not to mention the original buying cost of the item. I am surprised that I don't see more big garbage comic lots listed on .05/.10 cent listing day. Most sellers have stopped listing $1 books, I guess most people are donated them for a tax rec or are just keeping them. With rising fuel cost maybe they elected to burn them instead of losing money on them on ebay.

I live in a big urban city, it`s not wise to leave something and wait for your mailman to pick it up. ;)

I don't think eBay is dead, but I do think they have lost direction in search of profit. They should have listened to the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The new policies as stated earlier in this thread are terrible.

And the new Beta version sucks...did they not learn from the Vista mess? Don't screw with a good thing!

Simple true auctions are dying out, and that is basically the only way we list on eBay. Our auctions are doing well enough, and I still can rarely find anything I can buy on eBay for a good price. The market will still get a true auction to where it should be. Just don't expect much action on lots with high starting bids...eBay is overloaded with high priced stuff "for sale", not "at auction". eBay should not allow fixed price listings. It just clutters the site up, and the real fun is in the auctions anyway.

2c

I'll grant that some of my recent wins have been lower than I expected, however, I still get the impression that everyone must be bidding on the same books I am. :/

Dead? No. A little slow maybe. Might pick up a bit as we get closer to the holidays (and then again, with the economy as it is, maybe not).

I don't think eBay is dead, but I do think they have lost direction in search of profit. They should have listened to the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The new policies as stated earlier in this thread are terrible.

And the new Beta version sucks...did they not learn from the Vista mess? Don't screw with a good thing!

Simple true auctions are dying out, and that is basically the only way we list on eBay. Our auctions are doing well enough, and I still can rarely find anything I can buy on eBay for a good price. The market will still get a true auction to where it should be. Just don't expect much action on lots with high starting bids...eBay is overloaded with high priced stuff "for sale", not "at auction". eBay should not allow fixed price listings. It just clutters the site up, and the real fun is in the auctions anyway.

2c

the shift to buy it now is deff part of their strategy. I listened to an ebay piece on NPR where they talked about how more people like the convenience and speed of buy it now (more of a store front) over the acution style.

Love it or hate it, we're going to see more of it.

I agree! I have been buying up some nice 9.8 and 9.6 CGC bronze key books at a very reasonable price. when I do a search for those same copies, the "Buy it Now's" list is 400 percent over what I am buying it for at auction.

Ebay is intentionally trying to do itself in and how it ties into Kijiji. He's a pretty sharp guy so I wouldn't discount it.

WTF?

crazy-729002.jpg

Well Kijiji is owned by Ebay, right? Why would Ebay shoot themselves in the foot and start a free classified ad section? Would it not initially make you think that it would take business from Ebay?

R.

No. Businesses go into markets that cannibalize sales all the time. It's better than a competitor doing it to you. BTW, ebay owns 20% of craigslist and 100% of half.com among other web businesses. I'm sure there's cannibalization there too. It's smart business, exactly opposite of shooting themselves in the foot.

These ebay execs have a lot of money tied up in ebay stock and same goes for the ebay board of directors. It's beyond all reasonable belief to think ebay managers are consciously trying to bring the company down.

Most people forget, that while eBay is the 3000lb gorilla in the room, they have over 10 more properties that generate income, including paypal, stubhub and a 25% stake in craigslist. My last auction did what I expected and had about the same # of watchers (window shoppers) as items I listed last year.

2c

the shift to buy it now is deff part of their strategy. I listened to an ebay piece on NPR where they talked about how more people like the convenience and speed of buy it now (more of a store front) over the acution style.

I agree. They want to be Amazon and that's fine, but the world needs a 2004 eBay type auction powerhouse! If eBay wants to "sell" they should have a clearly set section for buy it now and auctions. I know you can hit the "auctions only tab" but you will still get slammed with all the high priced strating bids, items not really on auction, but for sale at the starting bid.

I think there is a place for buy-it-now, I use it all the time for books and CD's, and cheaper common items.

We need a collectables only auction site! It would be awesome, but at this point, what start up can complete with eBay?

It fits my business model.

1) Gas isn't a concern since the PO is just another stop when I'm out on weekly errands.

(This is the only downside I see: a half hour of my time per week.)

And each week, about an eighth to a quarter of the packages are international.

Do postal carriers pick these up, too?

2) No extra ink cartridge purchases of >$25.00 per month for my postage printer.

3) Any problems are taken care of immediately with the person behind the counter.

No back and forth with the risk of miscommunication/mistakes.

I should buy a sensitive weight scale, though.

1) Yep - international packages are picked up for free as well.

2) I just use my regular printer to print out the postage (shrug)

2c

I agree. They want to be Amazon and that's fine, but the world needs a 2004 eBay type auction powerhouse! If eBay wants to "sell" they should have a clearly set section for buy it now and auctions. I know you can hit the "auctions only tab" but you will still get slammed with all the high priced strating bids, items not really on auction, but for sale at the starting bid.

I think there is a place for buy-it-now, I use it all the time for books and CD's, and cheaper common items.

We need a collectables only auction site! It would be awesome, but at this point, what start up can complete with eBay?

I agree. Ebay started the modern day long tail. They made it work. And then some guy in a suit said, "we can make more money if we focus on the big dollar items from power sellers". Well duh, but the inverse isn't that they make NO money from auction style small sellers.

The biggest problem with big corporations is their willingness to throw away small sales, in my opinion.

2c

I had just this same conversation with someone from Ebay customer service last night. They are not Amazon and they need to realize, that by masking bidder's IDs, they lost a lot of business in an effort to stop people from selling off site, they started to lose their customer base. I never thought it was really phsishing that was the issue, they were greedy. It's a shame, because the auctions used to be so much fun. Many of their buyers, were sellers, that's how many of us, funded our purchases, too many people have been turned off by their changing something that worked.

I don't like any of the "beta" improvements.

ebay's not going anywhere...if anything, they have TOO many auctions up, hence the low number of looks..

hey BrianR...what's your LCS? i'm in chandler...

Spaz Dogs is the play I generally go to its only 3 miles away so its very convenient