• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - comiczoo warehouse breakin

84 posts in this topic

I was bidding on some of Comiczoo's books when they were taken down. I had

noticed this dealer offering great books before and I was suspicous. Last week, before he took everything down, I looked at past sales (E-Bay only shows 15 days) and saw MANY listings that were taken down with bids for the following reason:

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

This item or one like it has been relisted.

He would then relist the book and start all over again. If you look quickly on E-Bay you can see an incident of this for Amazing Adventures #1, taken down on Oct 25 .

Has anyone bought a book from him on the cheap and actually got the book ?

I suspect not. He also has been selling large dollar vehicles, one was listed for 50,000. Sorry, I do not think they are legit.

Here's a link to the eBay listing they ran (if it works)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260289732892

doh! I can't believe an actual intelligent human would bid ~$55,000 on this auction. There's so much wrong here that it would take a long time to list all of it.

$1,000 shipping.... forsooth!

Just another case of too good to be true..... Would not surprise me if you could search and find all of the scans stolen from other listings.

I will say again, why would you buy books from a seller with no credibility, no feedback, and that funny feeling in the back of your mind that something is wrong? Do you really need a bargain that bad to get ripped off, even after you have heard literally hundreds of such cases.

If you buy books from reputable sellers, you won't have to worry about this type of stuff happening to you. If on the other hand, you like to gamble, then it is your loss. You might as well just go to Vegas.

Everyone is looking for a score and a deal. You've never chased a questionable deal in order to make that big collection score Dale? I'd wager to say most dealers have stories where they have.

Chasing a deal is far different than sending money in with little evidence that you actually will get anything out of it. If you are talking about that, then no, I have never done that.

I guarantee people that are getting ripped off like this are in fact, paying more than those who buy from the safer sellers, if you consider their losses over time.

I don't know anything about this seller, other than I looked at their items and thought to myself, man this guy has alot of really nice stuff and I have never heard of him.....that in itself set my "spider-sense" tingling that something wasn't quite right.

reputable :baiting:

Was just reading the GA Green Lantern #32 I bought from you in Chicago (thumbs u

that's sooo cool....I love those books, glad you like it too

and I am the bonehead that didn't buy it first :baiting:

Just another case of too good to be true..... Would not surprise me if you could search and find all of the scans stolen from other listings.

I will say again, why would you buy books from a seller with no credibility, no feedback, and that funny feeling in the back of your mind that something is wrong? Do you really need a bargain that bad to get ripped off, even after you have heard literally hundreds of such cases.

If you buy books from reputable sellers, you won't have to worry about this type of stuff happening to you. If on the other hand, you like to gamble, then it is your loss. You might as well just go to Vegas.

Everyone is looking for a score and a deal. You've never chased a questionable deal in order to make that big collection score Dale? I'd wager to say most dealers have stories where they have.

Chasing a deal is far different than sending money in with little evidence that you actually will get anything out of it. If you are talking about that, then no, I have never done that.

I guarantee people that are getting ripped off like this are in fact, paying more than those who buy from the safer sellers, if you consider their losses over time.

I don't know anything about this seller, other than I looked at their items and thought to myself, man this guy has alot of really nice stuff and I have never heard of him.....that in itself set my "spider-sense" tingling that something wasn't quite right.

I don't think Andrew was chasing some sort of deal, just bidding on a decent SA Avengers. He got it for a good price but not a great price. About $35 less than the last copy sold for. Bummer for the seller but no reason to close up shop on a number of other books. One other interested bidder and it probably would have gone for $300.

I'd never heard of comiczoo before but didn't see anything unusual when the book was first listed.

Interesting. Checked their eBay page and they would appear to be comiczoo.com, which returns a 404. Maybe they never had a web site to begin with and sold strictly on eBay? (shrug)

whois record for comiczoo.com

Someone stole their website too!

website works fine for me (shrug)

Update. Got this message from comiczoo today:

Dear Buyers,

great news!!! We have recovered the stolen comics. All we can tell you at this point is that it was an inside job. As promised you will all receive your wins. Please cancel the mutual agreement if you have not responded yet and make your paypal payments. For those who have already responded to the mutual withdrawal agreement, please send your payment to the paypal account :

Please do not forget to include a list of your auction wins.

Thank you all for your support.

Comic Zoo

Dear Buyers,

great news!!! We have recovered the stolen comics. All we can tell you at this point is that it was an inside job. As promised you will all receive your wins. Please cancel the mutual agreement if you have not responded yet and make your paypal payments. For those who have already responded to the mutual withdrawal agreement, please send your payment to the paypal account :

Comic Zoo

doh! and the saga continues. So, maybe I'm missing something, but these are no longer "eBay based auctions/items" the buyers are paying for, right? It would be just a straight send money? The eBay fees should be refunded to the seller, upon mutual feedback withdrawal, and now all they have to worry about are PayPal fees? I dunno, but seems shady on top of shady hm

Dear Buyers,

Comic Zoo

doh! and the saga continues. So, maybe I'm missing something, but these are no longer "eBay based auctions/items" the buyers are paying for, right? It would be just a straight send money? The eBay fees should be refunded to the seller, upon mutual feedback withdrawal, and now all they have to worry about are PayPal fees? I dunno, but seems shady on top of shady hm

Seems like a heck of a lot of work just for fee avoidance... but that would only be eBay's take on it! Maybe they should report themselves?!?

Larry

Dear Buyers,

Comic Zoo

plus harder to get your money back on a chargeback if these are a snad. Paypal is much stricter with Ebay auction transactions then what they are suggesting.

I'm a little hesitant about the whole thing. Not sure what I'll do. I actually paid for the auction the first time around, and they refunded the payment immediately after the break-in announcement. Which certainly helped with the trust factor.

But I can no longer pay for this auction via the Ebay payment system, since Ebay thinks I've already paid for it. So I would have to do a direct payment via Paypal. I agree that I would have less protection in case of fraud.

The seller suggested that I wait until others had successfully received their comics and had posted feedback, and that hopefully it would alleviate my doubts.

It's all quite unusual - hence the doubt - but "unusual" doesn't necessarily mean "scam".

Exactly what I was going to post. Before you send any money I would contact ebay and tell them that the seller is going through with the offer to see if the transaction remains with ebay or outside. If its outside, try to use your credit card for extra insurance just in case paypal will not back you.

Good luck.

Good advice. I'll contact Ebay.

I use my credit card for EVERY Paypal transaction. I think divad gave me that piece of advice about a year ago, and now I won't do a Paypal payment any other way.