• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - comiczoo warehouse breakin

84 posts in this topic

I won an Ebay auction last night. Picked up an Avengers #36 in 9.4 for an excellent price - the lowest GPA sale price in over 3 years. Seller was comiczoo-com.

This morning I got this message from comiczoo:

We have some bad news. There was a break in our warehouse today. All the CGC books and many raw books we had there were stolen. If you have already made a payment, we will refund your money back. We have alerted Ebay and Paypal on this issue to make sure that no one loses money in this ordeal. Please do not make a payment or send checks if you haven't done so yet. We have to even take down the other books for sale in the "BUY NOW" format. We still have many more CGC in other locations that we will be listing soon as soon we resolve this issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Then I received a second message:

We have an idea on who did it. We have contacted the detectives and they are working on it. We will do everything we can to recover these comics and if we succeed, we will alert you as soon as possible so you can make a payment and receive your books.

Anyone else win a comiczoo auction in the past day or three?

Yeah, the cynical side of me thought the same thing. But they HAVE pulled all of their Ebay listings, including BINs... either because they were stolen, or because they've been losing money on their listings lately. They offer free worldwide shipping on their auctions, which can't help with their profit margin.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, let it play out and see what happens. The alternatives would take too much time and effort and likely still wouldn't result in me getting the book I won.

Dont forget comiczoo had that huge lot on ebay that was ,well suspect at best. Then some of the books from that lot (that didnt meet reserve) ended up for sale as raw books by robododo. Id be wary at best.

I'm not sure who comic-zoo is but beware. Too good to be true deals out of NY have fraud written on them. There are credible sellers there but Danny Dupcake and Paul Candela are out there as well. Don't forget about Greg Jorner, alleged scam artist.

I sold a pretty big book recently through the boards a while back. Turned out the book was altered and switched within the holder. The book came from an auction by comic*seller who was either linked to or formerly was gio72 on the boards. Payment went to Paul Candela.

After I sold the book it changed hands several times and finally ended up at CGC for a reholder. CGC figured something was up and investigated.

Turned out that Paul Candela had put a lower grade copy into the holder and then auctioned off the book that was in the holder as a higher grade book on Ebay.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

Interesting. Checked their eBay page and they would appear to be comiczoo.com, which returns a 404. Maybe they never had a web site to begin with and sold strictly on eBay? (shrug)

whois record for comiczoo.com

The web site looks OK to me, though there's presently nothing available.

no luck for me. times out - not a 404.

I'm not sure who comic-zoo is but beware. Too good to be true deals out of NY have fraud written on them. There are credible sellers there but Danny Dupcake and Paul Candela are out there as well. Don't forget about Greg Jorner, alleged scam artist.

I sold a pretty big book recently through the boards a while back. Turned out the book was altered and switched within the holder. The book came from an auction by comic*seller who was either linked to or formerly was gio72 on the boards. Payment went to Paul Candela.

After I sold the book it changed hands several times and finally ended up at CGC for a reholder. CGC figured something was up and investigated.

Turned out that Paul Candela had put a lower grade copy into the holder and then auctioned off the book that was in the holder as a higher grade book on Ebay.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

Which book was it? If you're going to tell folks to beware, it might help to describe the actual book involved in the scam.

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

This is news to me. Are you saying that a book can be inserted in a holder and it won't show signs that the holder has been tampered with?

Go figure.

meh

Beware.

R.

This is news to me. Are you saying that a book can be inserted in a holder and it won't show signs that the holder has been tampered with?

More stuff I didn`t know about, I keep on learning. I have noticed this a lot. where I look at books that say 9.4 or 9.6 and I see a big crease or lots of chipping on them and I say to myself what a crummy looking book this is for a 9.4 or 9.6 ! something doesn`t seem right about this comic ! no way its a 9.4 or 9.6. I guess I will invest in a magnifying glass and blacklight now.