• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,064 posts in this topic

You know, they need to change the designation on the label. If nothing else, Avatar Illustrated '98 HAS to at least be the first appearance of the Zombie Priest and Lazlo. It has a two-page spread from Goon #1 that is nothing but the two characters conversing. hm

I have officially joined the Goon Fan Club, and it feels great. This and Avatar Illustrated 1998 CGC 9.4 gets me going down the right path.

goon1_cgc9_6.jpg

Great book Nick, :takeit:

there is a satan's baby 9.8 up on the bay if someone needs it for their registry...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310148727547&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&salenotsupported

Hey, at least the seller gave everyone fair warning, although you'd have to crack it out of the case to see what he is talking about. (shrug)

You know, they need to change the designation on the label. If nothing else, Avatar Illustrated '98 HAS to at least be the first appearance of the Zombie Priest and Lazlo. It has a two-page spread from Goon #1 that is nothing but the two characters conversing. hm

CGC is treating it like a preview issue, like the Absolute Vertigo issue is for Preacher. That is probably the best way to handle it. This is how they are listing it on slabs right now : "1 page Goon preview pre-dates Goon #1 from Avatar Press (3/99)" I don't know if this is a new annotation or not. I just got my first copy slabbed. :grin:

Ah, but the one-page preview has two pages worth of dialogue between the Zombie Priest and Lazlo. Which leads one to the question: exactly how many pages/dialogue/appearance time is needed before CGC will recognize a first appearance?

And why is Darker Image #1 still not noted as Maxx's first appearance?

(Sorry, we were already on the subject. :blush: )

Ah, but the one-page preview has two pages worth of dialogue between the Zombie Priest and Lazlo. Which leads one to the question: exactly how many pages/dialogue/appearance time is needed before CGC will recognize a first appearance?

That is odd as you think with at least two pages of material, that should be enough to note a 1st cameo at least.

It's like the entire Hellboy 1st appearance situation that comes up on here. John Byrne's Next Men 21 IS NOT the 1st appearance of Hellboy, yet this is noted on the CGC label. SDCC 2 has a 4-page story, which I would think is enough to capture the designator "1st appearance of..."

Heck, that SDCC 2 is loaded with 1st appearances. I'll have to check what the label says.

That is odd as you think with at least two pages of material, that should be enough to note a 1st cameo at least.

It's like the entire Hellboy 1st appearance situation that comes up on here. John Byrne's Next Men 21 IS NOT the 1st appearance of Hellboy, yet this is noted on the CGC label. SDCC 2 has a 4-page story, which I would think is enough to capture the designator "1st appearance of..."

Heck, that SDCC 2 is loaded with 1st appearances. I'll have to check what the label says.

Hellboy Dime Press= Different and New Drawing of Hell Boy, Goon's Avatar illustraed = Material taken from a Finished Goon 1 not yet printed. They are Not the same. A good example would be, Invincible first appearance, see Savage Dragon #102, Master of the Universe #1, and Tech Jacket #1.

Edited by catch21

Hellboy Dime Press= Different and New Drawing of Hell Boy, Goon's Avatar illustraed = Material taken from a Finished Goon 1 not yet printed. They are Not the same. A good example would be, Invincible first appearance, see Savage Dragon #102, Master of the Universe #1, and Tech Jacket #1.

Oh, I hear ya. If the Avatar Illustrated is nothing but preview material, I could see this is like a few other books that some sellers have tried to offer as "the real 1st appearance" like John Constantine's appearance in Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 was printed ahead of time in a DC Comics Sampler.

But I think TJ is saying there are two pages of stand-alone material that involved dialogue between two key villains. That is different.

And with Dime Press 4, it is just the cover with "Hellboy" written below, and the character is not 100% drawn the same as what he would become. That's why some consider it a prototype issue, and SDCC 4 is the real 1st appearance.

Oh, I hear ya. If the Avatar Illustrated is nothing but preview material, I could see this is like a few other books that some sellers have tried to offer as "the real 1st appearance" like John Constantine's appearance in Saga of the Swamp Thing 37 was printed ahead of time in a DC Comics Sampler.

But I think TJ is saying there are two pages of stand-alone material that involved dialogue between two key villains. That is different.

And with Dime Press 4, it is just the cover with "Hellboy" written below, and the character is not 100% drawn the same as what he would become. That's why some consider it a prototype issue, and SDCC 4 is the real 1st appearance.

No, ALL of the images in Avatar Illustrated are from 1st issue of the Goon. The image of GOON with the gun is on page 13 of the 1st issue. The prologue (with Lazlo and the Priest is on page is 1-2 of the 1st issue. The cover page of Avatar illustrated with the GOON's head is a taken from page 13 of the 1st issue of the GOON.

Edited by catch21

No, ALL of the images in Avatar Illustrated are from 1st issue of the Goon. The image of GOON with the gun is on page 13 of the 1st issue. The prologue (with Lazlo and the Priest is on page is 1-2 of the 1st issue. The cover page of Avatar illustrated with the GOON's head is a taken from page 13 of the 1st issue of the GOON.

Wow! I did not know that. This is an interesting topic as someone recently had won CGC over that AI 1998 should be considered the 1st cameo of Goon.

Thanks for the education.

"it is what it is" The famous quote of cgc.. The way I look at it is AI S 98 was published first by 9 months thats almost a yr. It dont state this as a preview or to look for it in 9 months in its own magazine anywhere at all! Nowhere zilch nada! So how do we not know that somebody went back to that book and based the goon off the page from A I S 98 :sumo:yay2.gif

oh yeah I also know that before they made the decision, they were to put a phone call in to Eric himself about the matter. I must had called cgc 50 times in one month before they labeld my 6 books! crackhead.gif

Edited by bcruze

It dont state this as a preview or to look for it in 9 months in its own magazine anywhere at all! Nowhere zilch nada!

Actually the ENTIRE PURPOSE of the book is to be a preview of Avatar's upcoming books over the next year. That is the very reason they published that book and the subsequent Avatar Illustrated issues.

So I'm afraid you might be trying to split hairs, Bobby.

oh yeah I also know that before they made the decision, they were to put a phone call in to Eric himself about the matter. I must had called cgc 50 times in one month before they labeld my 6 books! crackhead.gif

lol Yeah, I remember all your calls about this book.

And catch21 has been spot on with his points. :applause:

And Nick, I didn't mean that the Priest/Lazlo conversation was different from what was printed in the Goon #1, but merely pointing out that there are two pages worth of dialogue between the two characters and musing if that is enough to count as a first appearance.