• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,060 posts in this topic

Friendly :bump: for this thread.

So I've heard about the Goon for awhile now, and just recently picked up the 1st three TPB. Pretty good stuff. I enjoyed it and will continue to read it.

I've got a couple questions though:

1.) What comic is Goon's 1st full appearance? I know the Dreamwalker book is a preview and the Best Cellers book is a prototype. Is it the Avatar #1 or is there another book?

2.) What is an Avatar #1 worth? I just saw the following auction on eBay for a CGC 9.8 go for $669.00. Way more than I'd pay. So what is a CGC 9.4 worth or a raw copy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=400187096727&si=PuKAxhB8MHHYE%252FG7opkgqjkZoe8%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

the irony is that he could have been putting a goon out every couple of months and not ticking everyone off given how many artists out there would love to do a short goon story and what not like when guest artists/writers were doing stories he had up on the goon website. they need not be part of the goon "continuity" or anything like that. powell could have done the covers. people would have bought them if they were any good and felt a bit less ignored. this is what made this guy and now he's ignoring his goose that laid the golden egg.

the irony is that he could have been putting a goon out every couple of months and not ticking everyone off given how many artists out there would love to do a short goon story and what not like when guest artists/writers were doing stories he had up on the goon website. they need not be part of the goon "continuity" or anything like that. powell could have done the covers. people would have bought them if they were any good and felt a bit less ignored. this is what made this guy and now he's ignoring his goose that laid the golden egg.
After Kodiak, I would like to see a Joe Hill short story myself. I know he is a huge fan too.

After Kodiak, I would like to see a Joe Hill short story myself. I know he is a huge fan too.

Now that would be a book I would love to read :cloud9:

Totally DISAGREE. He can take his own sweet time on the series so long as he keeps the quality up when he does put them out. The last thing I want are more pseudo/wannabe GOON stories (a la GOON NOIR). Some have been fun, but they're all just knockoffs of varying quality. You kill the goose that laid the golden egg by pimping it out.

Well said Nexus. I am more for quality than quantity also but right now it appears we are getting neither. Have been a reader of The Goon for many years now and, in my humble opinion, the quality of Mr. Powells work has not been up to par since way back to issue 19. I liked the stories and the art much, much better when Eric alone was doing everything himself. Are those days gone forever?? I have nothing against the new writers or the colorist but when you start pimping out your creation to others it is inevitable that it will lose the magic it once had. Are The Goon's best days behind him???? I pray it is not so and that Eric will some day be able to devote more time to that which made me come back to reading and enjoying comics again.

Well said Nexus. I am more for quality than quantity also but right now it appears we are getting neither. Have been a reader of The Goon for many years now and, in my humble opinion, the quality of Mr. Powells work has not been up to par since way back to issue 19. I liked the stories and the art much, much better when Eric alone was doing everything himself. Are those days gone forever?? I have nothing against the new writers or the colorist but when you start pimping out your creation to others it is inevitable that it will lose the magic it once had. Are The Goon's best days behind him???? I pray it is not so and that Eric will some day be able to devote more time to that which made me come back to reading and enjoying comics again.

The first 20 issues (including the pre-Dark Horse versions) or so are pure magic. I agree that the quality slipped. I attribute it to the demands of putting out a monthly comic during "Goon Year". I appreciate Eric challenging himself that way, but I think the product ultimately suffered. The stories are really decompressed and he took shortcuts with the art (which is really evident when you look at the OA...the space he draws on is smaller (wider margins) and it just looks a bit rushed in places). Not as noticeable in the printed version, thanks to Dave Stewart's coloring (an excellent addition, imho).

The guy has talent. It hasn't just gone away. I'm very optimistic that we'll see more great comics out of Powell. This is a bump in the road.