• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did having kids change your collecting/reading?

88 posts in this topic

It's not a decision to be made lightly, and to be honest, posing the question on a comic chat board to a bunch of people you probably don't know all that well strikes me as a bit odd.

Maybe a little odd. But don't think I'm basing my decision on what I learn here. I like to research everything I do. I don't like to go into anything unprepared. Hearing how others have been changed, whether I know them or not, is good information to have. This is just one of 100s of ways I plan to get the inside scoop on child rearing.

I don't know if somebody peed in my Cheerios this morning, but that just sounds wack. Having a child isn't the same thing as investing in a stock portfolio, getting a deal on a slabbed key Marvel or investigating local government corruption on the local news. Maybe it's just the choice of words used. Scoop on child rearing? You'll need one for the poop. There'll be lots of it.

It's not a decision to be made lightly, and to be honest, posing the question on a comic chat board to a bunch of people you probably don't know all that well strikes me as a bit odd.

Maybe a little odd. But don't think I'm basing my decision on what I learn here. I like to research everything I do. I don't like to go into anything unprepared. Hearing how others have been changed, whether I know them or not, is good information to have. This is just one of 100s of ways I plan to get the inside scoop on child rearing.

I don't know if somebody peed in my Cheerios this morning, but that just sounds wack. Having a child isn't the same thing as investing in a stock portfolio, getting a deal on a slabbed key Marvel or investigating local government corruption on the local news. Maybe it's just the choice of words used. Scoop on child rearing? You'll need one for the poop. There'll be lots of it.

Well pontoon, if you can't Dodge it Ram it.

Go easy on the newb...you'll scare him into a pair of Dauchsands.

lol

your hobby will take a big backseat, but once they get a regular sleep schedule things get a lot better. thankfully my little guy wasn't such a bad sleeper, i might have cracked, but once we got into a good routine with him going to bed around 8/9 and waking up around 7/8 at about 1 1/2 years (he's 3) we got back on track.

with that said, the weekends are all about him, as they should be given that we both work during the week and mommy is working full time and getting her phd part-time.

if you have a parent or other relative who will babysit it is such a massive help. i don't (neither of our mothers could really cut it for more than maybe a day a week), but i have friends who have grandma watching their child full-time. i spend close to $25K a year between his babysitter and daycare, most of that in post-tax dollars, so we're probably talking like $40K in pre-tax money. where you are is no doubt a lot cheaper and we have gone for premium options, but daycare can easily be $1000/mo even in less expensive locations. think about it though, in 3 years that's $75K less I have for savings or whatever.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've heard from others that your priorities change completely when you have a child, so my guess is I won't even care about the things I do now, but it's hard to see or prepare for that change until it happens.

Research?

You buying an electronic item or a new car? doh!

Sorry dude but making a comment like that makes me believe you are no where near ready for a child.

I'll just go ahead and ignore you from this point forward. You don't know me, I don't know you. Let's just leave it at that. Not everyone gets married and immediately knows that a child is the right answer. And not everyone who questions whether or not kids are the right answer make bad parents if they choose to go that route. And not everyone who looks for advice, comments, or feedback from those who have done or not done a certain thing are bad people simply for the asking.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've heard from others that your priorities change completely when you have a child, so my guess is I won't even care about the things I do now, but it's hard to see or prepare for that change until it happens.

Research?

You buying an electronic item or a new car? doh!

Sorry dude but making a comment like that makes me believe you are no where near ready for a child.

Just the wrong term. If I asked a friend what it's like to be a father, that's me doing research (what else would it be called?). If that makes me potentially a bad father, then I guess that's your opinion.

I can say, with 100% conviction, that NOTHING is better than having children... no matter the trials and tribulations, or the sacrifices etc... NOTHING equals it!

Nuff said :applause:

There is nothing in this world that even comes close too as my kids as they are my life and my sole purpose of living.

(thumbs u

Like anything else in live that requires hard work and sacrifice, kids are worth it.

I don't tuck my comics in at night. I don't say prayers for my comics. They don't greet me at the door after a hard day at work. Comcs cannot hug you or hit home runs or master floor exercises.

Edited by joeypost

Your mileage may vary, but........

My own personal belief is either you know you want children or you don't. There is no middle ground.

I actually applaud those people who know they don't children and don't have any. You have to be true to yourself and honest with yourself.

Your comments about being on the fence sounds like a warning sign to me. I'm not saying you and your wife wouldn't be good parents, but as I said above, there's no middle ground. Either you know or you don't. My opinion, that's all.

Your mileage may vary, but........

My own personal belief is either you know you want children or you don't. There is no middle ground.

I actually applaud those people who know they don't children and don't have any. You have to be true to yourself and honest with yourself.

Your comments about being on the fence sounds like a warning sign to me. I'm not saying you and your wife wouldn't be good parents, but as I said above, there's no middle ground. Either you know or you don't. My opinion, that's all.

And that's valid. One of the things we talk about. I do have one friend I've talked to early who said they didn't know what they wanted to do either, but when they had their daughter, it was a life changer and the best decision he ever made. I like the sounds of that.

I don't know if I would just leave it like that. There was a time when I didn't want children. Then there was a time when I thought I wanted children and had 4 of them. Then my marriage broke down and I didn't regret having them but did regret that I had to put them through such a situation.

Looking back? I probably should have waited a few years before marrying and having 4 children, but I would not trade what I have now for the world.

Moral? Everyone is a little queasy going in as there are many uncertainties...money, time, spouse, sanity. The point is that as long as your intention is to give it your all you will be fine regardless of what happens.

I heard an interesting quote by "Pinball" Clemens, CEO of the Toronto Argonauts football team...."Life is 10% what you do and 90% of how you do it (or react to it)"

Words to live by.

For the record, I don't see a problem with asking questions about a new life venture. Just weigh the answers carefully.

R.

No amount of research or asking other people what it's like can prepare you for the wonderfully positive experience being a parent provides, IF you are a person who chooses to embrace it. Of all the "things" I love, material or otherwise, I have come to realize that nothing else in the world matters except for my family and making sure they are taken care of.

In terms of how it has changed my collecting habits, let's just say that I'm excited to buy a single Marvel Masterworks volume every couple of months. Weekly visits to my LCS are pretty much ancient history, as are frequent bids on Heritage or eBay. It's not due to a lack of interest so much as it is a loss of discretionary income.

first off don't listen to people that say you need to be ready. i've got news for you. you will never be ready.

Exactly. This whole 'heres a list of things you should have accomplished prior to having a kid' is nonsense. If you're sensible responsible parents, and do your best, you will find ways to make things work. Stella was a total surprise and by anyones' definition, we weren't 'ready'.

But she's incredibly happy and so are we and we're a great family.

My point was that doing research or getting an opinion about a commodity is one thing, if you don't like it you can get rid of it and move on.

Growing up in my family and how we grew up made me realize when I got married I wanted children. You can't base another persons opinion on a life changing situation like having a child for the simple reason you are not them.

This is something that you(as a couple) want or do not want regardless of what others opinions are.

And for the record I never said to the OP he would not make a great parent, I just questioned the way he is going about his thought process.

I don't know if I would just leave it like that. There was a time when I didn't want children. Then there was a time when I thought I wanted children and had 4 of them. Then my marriage broke down and I didn't regret having them but did regret that I had to put them through such a situation.

Looking back? I probably should have waited a few years before marrying and having 4 children, but I would not trade what I have now for the world.

Moral? Everyone is a little queasy going in as there are many uncertainties...money, time, spouse, sanity. The point is that as long as your intention is to give it your all you will be fine regardless of what happens.

I heard an interesting quote by "Pinball" Clemens, CEO of the Toronto Argonauts football team...."Life is 10% what you do and 90% of how you do it (or react to it)"

Words to live by.

For the record, I don't see a problem with asking questions about a new life venture. Just weigh the answers carefully.

R.

Well said. I think right now it's that uncertainty that's prompting the question in the first place. I appreciate responses like yours that don't judge me, but instead, just tell me your own feelings/experiences on the topic. We're years from having a child if that's the route we choose to go, but I like to hear about the experiences from other people even if the only thing we have in common is a love for comics.

Thanks. (thumbs u

I spent nine hours yesterday assembling the most complicated (and expensive) cluster fudge of a bunk-bed I've ever seen for my 8 year-old. It was a complete nightmare of mislabeled parts, a zillion different screws and bolts, and utterly confusing @ss-backwards instructions which were apparently written and drawn by Dr. Seuss. I sweated, swore, dropped stuff on my feet, busted my knuckles, and wrenched my back...but it was finished by the time my daughter was ready for bed last night, and when she saw it all put together, made up with her Barbie sheets and ready to go, she shot me a HUGE smile, threw her arms around me, and said "Oh, thank you, daddy...you're AWESOME."

Kids are a drain on anything and everything you call your own: time, money, energy, resources, patience, nerves, etc., etc. And they're worth all of it and much, much more.

So no...you'll never be ready (my parents weren't, but I'm damn glad I'm here!)...and nothing else compares.

Good luck!

Edited by mikeyriffhard

As they say, if you aren't ready for a child - get a dog.

My six year old wants a dog in the worse way :cry: and I'm starting to loose this battle :cry: :cry:

I can say, with 100% conviction, that NOTHING is better than having children... no matter the trials and tribulations, or the sacrifices etc... NOTHING equals it!

My son brought me back into comic characters via videogames/movies.Having kids changes everything about your life, your comic collecting will be the least of your worries. :eek:

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK