• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Last Champions Collector?

121 posts in this topic

Well now that I'm only 6 issues away from completing my Ultra-High Grade Champions set on the Registry (and finally unseating Ghost Town as number 1), I was wondering if I was the last collector left on Earth of this little known team book. Yes it only lasted 17 issues but it did feature 2 X-men, 2 Avengers and, well, Ghost Rider... Not to mention John Byrne who was all the rage back in the 80's. Awesome covers, lame villains & dated dialogue, what could represent the Bronze Age better!!

So consider this the Champions Appreciation thread!

That Byrne splash where a bunch of heroes are kneeling in front of Doom. Was that from the Champions or from Super Villian Team up? One of the greatest splashes ever, IMHO. (Joe, it would be great if you would post it. I know you have it handy. :foryou:)

One of my favorite D-list villains, the Griffin, came out fo this series. I snap up HG issues whenever I can get them cheaply. Generally speaking, the writing throughout the run was not good.

I have been giving serious consideration to starting an uber-hg run of champions. So far I only have one. hm

There are so few ultra hg copies in circulation (already graded copies) that it's been a hassle to get the ones I got. The prices have been another headache, since so few copies have been graded, 9.6s go for 75-100$ and 9.8's anywhere from 100-200$, but I'm sure there are probably warehouses full of pristine copies that no one bothers to have graded...

I did get my #13 in 9.6 for 30$ from the last Quality Comix auction. A relative ''steal''...

Try finding a #1 in 9.8.

I passed on (2) subpar looking 9.8 copies (severe angle miswraps) years ago and have not seen any others since. I'd really love to acquire a decently centered solid 9.8 but I stopped holding my breath 3-4 years ago.

:juggle:

Embrace the 9.6, Bruce. Feel the power of the darkside.

Try finding a #1 in 9.8.

I passed on (2) subpar looking 9.8 copies (severe angle miswraps) years ago and have not seen any others since. I'd really love to acquire a decently centered solid 9.8 but I stopped holding my breath 3-4 years ago.

:juggle:

Embrace the 9.6, Bruce. Feel the power of the darkside.

:hi: I have... and it's a beauty I selected over the 4-5 others that crossed my path over the years.

BUT... my "bronze quest" most always keeps me agreeable to finding a better one if possible.

BTW... I'm honored you chose one of my remarks to make your sig line however long it should entertain.

:foryou:

One of my favorite D-list villains, the Griffin, came out fo this series.

Actually, the Griffin first showed up fighting the Beast in Amazing Adventures before appearing in the Champions... hm

Jim

That's right, Baby! Amazing Adventures 15. And Griffon and the Beast had a rematch in Marvel Team-Up 38 which might also predate his Champions appearance. Good luck finding 9.8 copies of either issue.

I was working on a 9.8 Champions run myself but ran out of steam after getting just two issues in two years. So, they have passed on to worthier collectors.

AmazingAdventures15CGC9.jpg

MarvelTeam-Up38CGC9.8W.jpg

The prices have been another headache, since so few copies have been graded, 9.6s go for 75-100$ and 9.8's anywhere from 100-200$, but I'm sure there are probably warehouses full of pristine copies that no one bothers to have graded...

That's the problem, and if a book isn't worth grading at CGC 9.4, and CGC 9.8's only get $100-$200, then don't expect a pile of them graded.

But you are right, there are tons of 9.4-9.8 level copies out there, but you'd have to be a maroon to pay for grading on them, while there are far more lucrative opportunities out there. That's why the Census isn't full of Champions #1 9.8 copies, as the book was widely speculated on, and is readily available in any OO collection.

I was working on a 9.8 Champions run myself but ran out of steam after getting just two issues in two years. So, they have passed on to worthier collectors.

Indeed, thanks again for the books, Steve (thumbs u