• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Last Champions Collector?

121 posts in this topic

OMG OMG OMG!!! Finally saw a Champions #1 9.8 on Pedigree!!! I must own it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 of 5 ''known'' copies on census)

I just HAD to buy my Avengers #4 this week, didn't I?... :frustrated:

I passed on it before it went live after I saw the scan.

I just couldn't go there for an almost 1976 book with an angle miswrap when my 9.6 is so nice. I love that book and want a (deserving and pleasing eye appeal) 9.8 too... but I'm not throwing top dollar for just structural perfection. I would have "rationalized" a minor straight miswrap, but the angled ones kill me.

:frustrated:

...the wait continues

Don't bet on that... but your bid is >more< than fair for a perfectly centered copy. That one, it's very generous and it could end up hurting the seller since I think your bid is no longer binding since he rejected it officially. If he hadn't, I think he would have had a month to hold you to it and accept your bid later if no other bids eclipsed it. Now, in a month you can offer less (assuming no one else will pay more by that point) when the bid is removed by the system.

Good luck... hope you get it.

Anybody know the whereabouts of the one and only 9.9 copy of Champions #7?

I'm itching for an upgrade...

3rd counter-offer refused on the #1 in 9.8 at Pedigree, I'm sticking to my bid and not 2c more

Try finding a #1 in 9.8.

I feel your pain, there are only 3 in the census and the last sale was 3 years ago according to GPA. I settled for a 9.6 allbeit the Pacific Coast copy :headbang:

So, just in the past month 2 more copies have shown up. My guess is if more people start to know about this title that there will be a lot more popping up in no time.

Try finding a #1 in 9.8.

I feel your pain, there are only 3 in the census and the last sale was 3 years ago according to GPA. I settled for a 9.6 allbeit the Pacific Coast copy :headbang:

So, just in the past month 2 more copies have shown up. My guess is if more people start to know about this title that there will be a lot more popping up in no time.

Well the title is not really a secret... It's just that gambling on the assumption of getting a 9.8 on a 30 year old book that isn't that rare is very cost ineffective.

One of my favorite D-list villains, the Griffin, came out fo this series.

Actually, the Griffin first showed up fighting the Beast in Amazing Adventures before appearing in the Champions... hm

Jim

That's right, Baby! Amazing Adventures 15. And Griffon and the Beast had a rematch in Marvel Team-Up 38 which might also predate his Champions appearance. Good luck finding 9.8 copies of either issue.

I was working on a 9.8 Champions run myself but ran out of steam after getting just two issues in two years. So, they have passed on to worthier collectors.

AmazingAdventures15CGC9.jpg

MarvelTeam-Up38CGC9.8W.jpg

I remember looking for a few years (pre-CGC) for a nice copy of that MTU 38. It seems like every copy I saw was always beat up. Don't think I ever did find a copy better than VF.

Actually, the Griffin first showed up fighting the Beast in Amazing Adventures before appearing in the Champions... hm

Jim

Griffon and the Beast had a rematch in Marvel Team-Up 38 which might also predate his Champions appearance. Good luck finding 9.8 copies of either issue.

I remember looking for a few years (pre-CGC) for a nice copy of that MTU 38. It seems like every copy I saw was always beat up. Don't think I ever did find a copy better than VF.

I have only seen two and I have been looking hard since 2003. The first one was a CGC 9.6 copy from the Mile High 2 collection. I got into a bidding war with Ghost Town for it. Then, several years later, the 9.8 showed up and I got into another bidding war with Ghost Town lol

Jim

Griffon and the Beast had a rematch in Marvel Team-Up 38 which might also predate his Champions appearance. Good luck finding 9.8 copies of either issue.

I have only seen two and I have been looking hard since 2003. The first one was a CGC 9.6 copy from the Mile High 2 collection. I got into a bidding was with Ghost Town for it. Then, several years later, the 9.8 showed up and I got into another bidding war with Ghost Town lol

Looks like they're still the only 9.6 or better copies in the census. Weird.

Jim

I have only seen two and I have been looking hard since 2003. The first one was a CGC 9.6 copy from the Mile High 2 collection. I got into a bidding war with Ghost Town for it. Then, several years later, the 9.8 showed up and I got into another bidding war with Ghost Town lol

Looks like they're still the only 9.6 or better copies in the census. Weird.

Well, the next one should go for a bargain price with both us out of the market lol