• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World's Last Champions Collector?

121 posts in this topic

true that... but a decent Champions 1 in 9.8 will go at minimum $300 and probably between 400-550 I'm betting.

Sure, but what's a 9.4 sell for?

If you send in 10 extremely well-graded copies, you'll likely get back 6 9.4's, 3 9.6's and 1 9.8, and you need to sell the rest.

not much for sure on 9.4's ...

Despite speculation, I think 9.8 #1's are gonna' continue to prove to be much harder to find than many other 25¢ #1's or keys. It "should" be clear that there's enough reward on grading a 9.8 (and no serious downside in getting a 9.6) that really solid raw copies should make there way to CGC if they are 9.8 possible. I checked the census and it appears that a fair amount (relatively) have been submitted. 260 graded with (60) 9.6's and only (3) 9.8's.

Perhaps these languished in bargain bins a little too long for their black covers to stay just extra sharp enough to pull 9.8's? (shrug) . The 9.6's I've owned and sold off as I found a more appealing 9.6 all had just enough wear to legitimately keep them from 9.8... meaning I don't believe that very many of the sizable 9.6 population are great pressing candidates.

The best I've picked up raw in a collection over the past 8 years was 9.4 and surprisingly, I don't find Champion runs as frequently as I'd expect.

There really should be more than (3) 9.8's if they are really out there in quantity when less rewarding and much higher risk 25¢ books like Black Goliath 1 for instance buck that trend. 120 graded with (17) 9.8's... and they only sell for 1/4th to 1/5th the value of what a Champions 1 would fetch.

I think I underestimated the potential sale price a little as well. Last sale was close to $600 in 2006 and it wasn't that nice (eye appeal) if I recall. With all the new blood 9.8 Collectors and Registry Competitors... 2-3 more will likely fetch close to that number I'd bet.

Vince, what other 25¢ black cover #1's or keys, Marvel or DC can you think of as being good comparisons? I'm sure you can recall more than I. Of the top of my head, I'm only coming up with FIS #8 and Warlord #1 and a few horror titles 1's? There are more 20¢ers and 30¢ers for sure.

hm

I wouldn't class it as a "black cover", and I'm wondering if there is a production flaw, like ASM 301, that makes it artificially more difficult to get a 9.8?

I know for a fact that HG copies are out there (I bought on collection on EBay with 18 NM or better copies and have more than that tossing around), so there must be a flaky reason why these are not attaining a 9.8 grade.

that makes it artificially more difficult to get a 9.8?

Isn't this a throw-away title; something that would have sat in bargain bins for years and years?

I love it when a thread incites thoughtful dialogue.

30 years of sitting polybaged in a bargain bin is sure to take it's toll, but it all comes down to risk- reward. Plus 9.6s arent anything to sneeze at I would say they'd probably fetch closer to 200-250$ for #1. I, being the Last Champions Collector on Earth, would easily pay 600$ for a 9.8 if I ever come across one...

Isn't this a throw-away title

Heaven forbid!! This is the title where we follow the exploits of Iceman & Angel after they leave the X-men, of Hercules after he defeats Ego (with a little help from that Thor guy), of the Black Widow after she dumps Daredevil and of Ghost Rider.... whom I just can't think of anything witty to say about cuz I find he is sooooooooo out of place here!!! So throw-away? I say NAY!! (tsk)

Isn't this a throw-away title; something that would have sat in bargain bins for years and years?

Sure, but so were a lot of other titles from the same era, and lot of 9.8's still survived in collections - not to mention in that era, #1's were the key issues most speculated on, not first appearances. I have bought BA collections in the past and there are always tons of Iron Fist 1, Champions 1, Inhumans 1, Star Wars 1, PPSSM 1, etc. - all these mid-70's #1 issues were speculator city.

That's why I'm thinking if dealers are actively trying to submit 9.8's, this might be a case of a production issue that takes the majority of the books out of 9.8 contention (like ASM 301 and others), and makes getting a 9.8 artificially low compared to the sheer number of "off the newstand condition" books that are out there.

Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense.

Sure, but so were a lot of other titles from the same era, and lot of 9.8's still survived in collections - not to mention in that era, #1's were the key issues most speculated on, not first appearances. I have bought BA collections in the past and there are always tons of Iron Fist 1, Champions 1, Inhumans 1, Star Wars 1, PPSSM 1, etc. - all these mid-70's #1 issues were speculator city.

That's why I'm thinking if dealers are actively trying to submit 9.8's, this might be a case of a production issue that takes the majority of the books out of 9.8 contention (like ASM 301 and others), and makes getting a 9.8 artificially low compared to the sheer number of "off the newstand condition" books that are out there.

Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense.

I wonder how many of these are being submitted. I think the numbers are low. I got my two 9.8s by submitting raw copies myself. I was pretty sure they were 9.8 and they were in a pre-screen submission so I felt safe on the risk/return. But, other than guys submitting whole collections, I think these books are still under the radar for the most part and just aren't being graded.

Issue #1 may be something different. Bruce is an excellent measuring stick for the difficulty of finding bronze-age raw books in 9.6+ condition because he is both very well-informed so there are no "under-the-radar" bronze books for him and he actively seeks out raw copies. If he can't find well-centered 9.8s, then I would wonder about production problems because Vince is right about the increased production and hoarding of bronze Marvel #1s being fairly common. When I hear about tough bronze Marvel #1s like Luke Cage, I figure it has to be a combination of low publicity re: prices and production problems.

Not to mention John Byrne who was all the rage back in the 80's.

Because of that great work he did on the Champions in the 70's! (and a few other titles I suppose, one with an "X' in it, I forget...)

I buy them when I see them.

Dunno about Champions 1 being a bargain bin book...no doubt it was in the bins, but so were most other bronze age books. It has been worth a couple of bucks for a while.

One of my favorite D-list villains, the Griffin, came out fo this series.

Actually, the Griffin first showed up fighting the Beast in Amazing Adventures before appearing in the Champions... hm

Jim

That's right, Baby! Amazing Adventures 15. And Griffon and the Beast had a rematch in Marvel Team-Up 38 which might also predate his Champions appearance. Good luck finding 9.8 copies of either issue.

I was working on a 9.8 Champions run myself but ran out of steam after getting just two issues in two years. So, they have passed on to worthier collectors.

AmazingAdventures15CGC9.jpg

MarvelTeam-Up38CGC9.8W.jpg

You guys are right, not sure how I screwed that up.

Anyway that Marvel Team Up is the main reason I'm a Griffin fan. That book is freakin hilarious, Spidey and the Beast just trade one-liners throughout the whole thing, all while giving a pretty good beat down on the Griffin. It's a great read. (thumbs u

Anyway that Marvel Team Up is the main reason I'm a Griffin fan. That book is freakin hilarious, Spidey and the Beast just trade one-liners throughout the whole thing, all while giving a pretty good beat down on the Griffin. It's a great read. (thumbs u

Maybe it is was because I was a science nerd but Spidey and the Beast were my two favorite bronze characters and it was mainly because of their sense of humor. They had three issues of Marvel Team-Up together and they were all funny.

Long before Danny Ketch was even thought of, I was a big Ghost Rider fan...so consequently, I have most if not all Champions appearances (thumbs u

Of course, my other collecting friends would usually ask "Uh, who?? The Champions??" when I brought em up lol

I actually read them again a few months ago...some of the issues aren't bad! Some, however, are, heh.

-Barry

Last 4 books I need are actually on eBay in 9.8 but they will cost me 725$ !! :o

If you are talking about Scheradon's books then I can tell you he is on the Boards here and is a very reliable seller in my opinion. His books tend to be beautiful too so you won't be disappointed with the quality.