• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,929 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2023 at 9:15 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Probably not.  It's a common book -- a whole bunch of 9.8s are up on eBay and they're only asking $350-$475 for them.  I bought my 9.6 WP for $125 at the height of the pandemic.

On their site Reece has boatload of 202 in 9.8. Could be a decade or more until all those are absorbed into hobby unless they drop their price which they will NEVER do.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Finally get to knock this issue off my list.

IMG_2402.jpeg

Just out of curiosity I looked up the census on this book.  Crazy:

• 30 9.8s
  • 30 9.6s
  • 4 9.4s
  • 3 9.2s
  • 3 9.0s
  • 4 8.5s
  • 1 8.0
  • 1 6.5

Perfect example of the kind of book that people generally don't even bother to slab unless they're hoping for an ultra high grade.  Tough to chase these kinds of books when assembling a run -- which is what I assume you're doing?  Do you ever buy a super sharp raw copy and submit yourself in the hopes of getting that 9.8, or are you only buying slabbed copies?

On 9/2/2023 at 10:16 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

• 30 9.8s
  • 30 9.6s
  • 4 9.4s
  • 3 9.2s
  • 3 9.0s
  • 4 8.5s
  • 1 8.0
  • 1 6.5

Perfect example of the kind of book that people generally don't even bother to slab unless they're hoping for an ultra high grade.  Tough to chase these kinds of books when assembling a run -- which is what I assume you're doing?  Do you ever buy a super sharp raw copy and submit yourself in the hopes of getting that 9.8, or are you only buying slabbed copies?

Putting together a run from 1 to 115 in 9.8 (probably won’t ever finish it as 1 issue only has 1 copy in 9.8 and I doubt that will ever come up for sale!)

As you suggested I have subbed raw Conan copies and have gotten 5 back in 9.8 - it’s a tough game to play, especially these days when most of my buying is on line as opposed to 20-30 years ago when I bought all my books raw at cons and you could really see what you were buying in person instead of relying on shoddy internet grading 😂. I have a complete pretty high grade raw run and I’m sure I have many 9.8s from 150 to 275 as I bought those when they came out but many can be bought cheap on eBay or Auction sites for $30-$60 and with me being in Canada it’s cheaper for me to buy already slabbed CGC 9.8 issues instead of sending to CGC with all the grading fees and 2 way shipping.
Thankfully most of Conan 1-115 aren’t crazy money in 9.8

On 9/2/2023 at 10:16 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

• 30 9.8s
  • 30 9.6s
  • 4 9.4s
  • 3 9.2s
  • 3 9.0s
  • 4 8.5s
  • 1 8.0
  • 1 6.5

well that is a $1 book if it isn't 9.8, right?

On 9/2/2023 at 7:16 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

• 30 9.8s
  • 30 9.6s
  • 4 9.4s
  • 3 9.2s
  • 3 9.0s
  • 4 8.5s
  • 1 8.0
  • 1 6.5

Yeah, but even a 9.8 is a ‘low-baller magnet’.

Good discussion.

Having submitted a lot of books, I now swear by the pre-screen. A 9.6 non-‘ultra’ key in anything late Bronze and up is just mind- numbingly crazy to submit. Guaranteed money loser and magnet for annoying buyers. IMHO opinion it is best to use a 9.8 pre-screen and make sure to check the census. More than 5 copies is a no-go for books you want to sell, unless one likes commensurateing with annoying ‘low-ballers’.

Which raises another question for me, does adding comments like ‘I once saw a sale for $25’ or will you take $15 because the case ‘doesn’t look like an ‘immaculate ‘9.8 to me’ ever work for the low- ballers?

I would sooner have leverage to tell those annoying people, ‘good luck getting the only other 9.8 copy at that insulting price’

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 9/10/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Right.  I'm only commenting from the standpoint of what it would take to assemble a 9.8 run if you :censored: up and decided that was your collecting goal.

I have a soft spot for conans, not knocking them, i pulled a bunch of that issue aside hoping they would do a good conan TV show and these characters would come out. if they could do a good season 1 of the witcher, conan should be easy. just need to find the right guy. I know they've been talking about this for a while and with the strike nothing is happening

On 9/10/2023 at 9:59 PM, the blob said:

I have a soft spot for conans, not knocking them, i pulled a bunch of that issue aside hoping they would do a good conan TV show and these characters would come out. if they could do a good season 1 of the witcher, conan should be easy. just need to find the right guy. I know they've been talking about this for a while and with the strike nothing is happening

Would you believe the forum turned the word "w-o-k-e" to a :censored: emoji?  I mean, come on.

Just wanted to make clear that I wasn't saying "f'd up", I was simply saying "w-ke up" ... lol

On 9/11/2023 at 2:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Would you believe the forum turned the word "w-o-k-e" to a :censored: emoji?  I mean, come on.

Just wanted to make clear that I wasn't saying "f'd up", I was simply saying "w-ke up" ... lol

same thing happened to me in a post where I described people I knew waking up to find their tires slashed. whatever, i'm not here to fight about politic**s, i think i am pretty middle of the road, usually