• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice For Newcomers: What Stories/Storylines would you suggest they read?

32 posts in this topic

If you are trying to impress upon someone that comics aren't just for kids, and that the stories can be thought provoking, intelligent and enjoyable, what would your suggestions be for a newcomer to the hobby?

Preferably stories that are readily available in hard cover/trade format...

Ditto, plus..........

Transmetropolitain, Box Office Posion, The Bronze Age, Wanted, The Boys, Preacher, LOEG, Pride Of Bagdad, Blankets, Batman: Dark Night Returns, Books of Magic, American Flagg, Munden's Bar, Jon Sable, Love & Rockets, Cerebus, Ghost World, Sin City, Martha Washington Goes To War, and Savage Dragon...Ooops, how did that piece of dreck get onto this list. Sorry, that one is C R A P !

If you are trying to impress upon someone that comics aren't just for kids, and that the stories can be thought provoking, intelligent and enjoyable,

Now, do you mean that the stories reach the level of "traditional" literature, or do you mean that comics aren't just funny animals and Archie. "The Boys" is a great book - definitely not Archie - but I wouldn't use it as an example of groundbreaking, thought-provoking literature.

I guess what I mean is, are you looking for storylines to impress a woman or a man? I wouldn't show "The Boys" to a girl you've been out on 3 dates with...

If you are trying to impress upon someone that comics aren't just for kids, and that the stories can be thought provoking, intelligent and enjoyable,

Now, do you mean that the stories reach the level of "traditional" literature, or do you mean that comics aren't just funny animals and Archie. "The Boys" is a great book - definitely not Archie - but I wouldn't use it as an example of groundbreaking, thought-provoking literature.

I guess what I mean is, are you looking for storylines to impress a woman or a man? I wouldn't show "The Boys" to a girl you've been out on 3 dates with...

Basically, I'm trying to get some friends to overcome their stereotypes ("comics are for kids" thinking). I never understood why people had the idea that comics were for kids but had no problem standing in line for the premieres of superhero movies like Batman and Spider-Man.

Some good suggestions so far... thanks!

The Walking Dead (I've hooked 5 non-comic readers on this one)

Y the Last Man (my wife finished the trades before I did)

Sandman

Fables (keeps getting better and better)

Locke & Key (The hardcover is out. The series continues next year.)

Proof (similar to X-Files, but with monsters)

Maus (this is actually on many school curriculums)

If you are trying to impress upon someone that comics aren't just for kids...

...then by all means take them to a comic book store and count the number of 28 - 50 year-old customers versus the number of customers in the 7 - 13 age bracket.

CASE CLOSED! :sumo::grin:

If you are trying to impress upon someone that comics aren't just for kids...

...then by all means take them to a comic book store and count the number of 28 - 50 year-old customers versus the number of customers in the 7 - 13 age bracket.

CASE CLOSED! :sumo::grin:

:roflmao:

bone, watchmen, transmetropolitan, dark knight returns, ex machina, y the last man

Chris Ware's mega-novel, "Jimmy Corrigan: The smartest kid on earth." That book has impressed me more than any other single GN. It takes time and dedication to the project of reading it--and that IS a project--but it's superb.

For artist friends, I suggest David Mack's "Echo" and "Wake Up" trades from Daredevil.