• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Are people 100% sure the book actually sold for that price? I always have my doubts when I see a sell like this when it is from a site with no oversight other than the owner that has a huge motivation to have huge prices for books.
if its who i think it is, i doubt there is any funny biz 2c

Nice book. But for 10k I would have wanted the cover to be whiter.

... and maybe no miswrap would make it appear nicer. I didn't have a ruler handy to measure the scan but is there also a miscut? I hope that for 10K it can withstand a lot of criticism. Nice label though.

that sure puts it into perspective.

Not really. Bill's Batman is beautiful, but I personally would have less interest in owning a mid-grade Batman 1 than a 9.6 TTA 59 (although I wouldn't pay $10K for the latter either!).

that sure puts it into perspective.

Not really. Bill's Batman is beautiful, but I personally would have less interest in owning a mid-grade Batman 1 than a 9.6 TTA 59 (although I wouldn't pay $10K for the latter either!).

x2

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

Are we entering a new phase of pricing for HG Marvels, a shot of speed pushing 3K books up to the 10K level? WHERE is this irrational exuberant enthusiasm coming from?

Beats the hell out of me. I'd love to know who is making these huge purchases.

I know there have been lots of theories about pressers buying the books to maximize their potential, but the prices being paid are so high that most, if not all, of the profit has already been priced in, and that's assuming the book really gets the higher grade.

Are we entering a new phase of pricing for HG Marvels, a shot of speed pushing 3K books up to the 10K level? WHERE is this irrational exuberant enthusiasm coming from?

Beats the hell out of me. I'd love to know who is making these huge purchases.

I know there have been lots of theories about pressers buying the books to maximize their potential, but the prices being paid are so high that most, if not all, of the profit has already been priced in, and that's assuming the book really gets the higher grade.

Does anyone think the Vault books aren't already "maximized"? I seriously doubt that Doug would leave that much money on the table on these big dollar books.

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

I agree (thumbs u

With what we've seen recently in not just one, but several high profile clink auctions, there's no shortage of exuberance in top-end marvels. And this sale does represent something thats all already been in full swing for some time in several price brackets.

The $1,000-3,000 has been turning into $2,500-5,000, and on occasion $8,500. But it's been based around the big box office characters of late. The Surfer's own title, and his FF apperances have been red hot. The hulk a similar story, Cap, and Iron man again, a similar story.

And the $10,000 up bracket has been moving strongly as well, with mutiple records set, and broken by consequtive auctions for AF#15's, TOS#39. But these are super keys, so some of us would almost expect it. We're not necessarily participants in this area, and so view it with a less stringent eye. But there can be no argument that for those who do participate at this level of the game the, buy decisions have to be well thought through. And yet people are bidding strongly, and with consistancy which are the key elements.

A one off sale is exactly that, but we're seeing strong linear trends.

From all of this there has been 'a shift in the force'. SA Marvels while always in high regard in the overall comic pantheon are gaining considerable force. Why...the direct and highly tangible connection to modern media. Can you imagine Spidey, or the Hulk evaporating from figurine section of the local toy store, or computer games, or even the movie screens in one form or another.

(yes I'm still praying for Jackman to yoke up some for a decent Wolverine role, and a -script that doesn't make my insides squirm). But succeed, fail, or stagnate, they will be permanent markers on the cultural horizon bringing them up to date, and current.

Yes, Batman, and Supes are there, but from a collectors persepctive... where do you start without selling your youngest, and remortgaging the house?? Ok, a bit dramatic, but it just highlights the difficulty of finding a starting point for the new collectors in these titles.